KCBS-KCAL Anchor Switcharoo

1place4news

I don't think putting Kent on KCAL is the mistake, it's taking Kent off of KCBS. Apparently the LA business plan is to put an anchor on KCAL before retirement, look at Harold Greene and Ann Martin.

I don't think that Kent is in any spot to leave anytime soon. If anything Pat Harvey has been with CBS for god-knows how long. I don't want to see anyone going. And Ann Martin & Harold Greene were never retired, they were let go, after a slew of cuts a few years ago.

It wasn't like they were having rating problems in the mornings, because they're not on top anyway. And the fact that they going to do it on the the third week of the November books, why didn't they thought about earlier last week.

Terrible. :mad:

Weird. Definitely see this as one foot out the door for Kent Shocknek. Frankly, i'm surprised he's lasted this long and they always kept switching out his female co-anchors, but never him. Also, I thought Josh Rubenstein was doing the morning newscasts at CBS 2? What's he doing now? Have they found a replacement for David Gonzalez yet? or is Sandra Mitchell still solo anchoring the noon and 2pm newscasts?

Weird. Definitely see this as one foot out the door for Kent Shocknek. Frankly, i'm surprised he's lasted this long and they always kept switching out his female co-anchors, but never him. Also, I thought Josh Rubenstein was doing the morning newscasts at CBS 2? What's he doing now? Have they found a replacement for David Gonzalez yet? or is Sandra Mitchell still solo anchoring the noon and 2pm newscasts?

Apparently Rubenstein will shift to the Noon through 4 shift on KCAL (saw it elsewhere, don't feel like linking it). No word either on what happens to Fields' spot on weekends.

Apparently Rubenstein will shift to the Noon through 4 shift on KCAL (saw it elsewhere, don't feel like linking it). No word either on what happens to Fields' spot on weekends.

That's probably the only good thing about this is Rich Fields moving to only weekday evenings on KCAL. It won't be a problem replacing someone on weekends.

Guest Former Member 207

This seems to be a change just for the sake of it, althought I somewhat understand that the KCBS/KCAL execs want to make CBS 2's a stronger player in the mornings (crowded as it is with the other stations). I can imagine for Garcia and Shocknek, it'll be hard to change habits after working in the same dayparts for more than 25 years.

This seems to be a change just for the sake of it, althought I somewhat understand that the KCBS/KCAL execs want to make CBS 2's a stronger player in the mornings (crowded as it is with the other stations). I can imagine for Garcia and Shocknek, it'll be hard to change habits after working in the same dayparts for more than 25 years.

On a somewhat related note, kinda surprised KCAL hasn't ventured into the morning race with a 7-9am newscast.

I think they're trying to take advantage of the current instability on the KNBC desk by using a popular, established team to steal away some of the viewers KNBC has been hemorrhaging with all the woes at the Today show. It will be interesting to see if KCAL can stay number 1 at 10. Shockneck is solid but Suh to me comes off as a little green. Gonna be so strange without Shockneck in the mornings... he's been there forever and viewers have such a strong association to that.

The stupidest decision Mark Goodson has ever made is firing Rich Fields. George Gray sucks with a capital S.

Mark Goodson has been dead for almost twenty years. You can't blame it on the dead man.

FremantleMedia owns the rights of the show. It was the current showrunners fault for doing so. But it all started one year after Bob left and Drew became the host, the heads got rid of that main producer Roger Dobkowitz. That would be the first of so many devastating changes since Bob's departure.

The only thing that hasn't change throughout the 41 years is that the show is still taped at the same studio in the same place. Speaking of Bob, he was over there at his old stumping grounds earlier this week, at a taping of the show, which commemorated his upcoming 90th Birthday which is December 12, which that's when they will air that program. At least they're doing something right.

But going back to what you've said, I don't think Rich Fields would've been happy, because Fields always had a style and stuck with it. He never wanted to act goofy like George Gray is (which I think he's doing too much off). For that I'm happy he's doing better things, doing what he knows best.

With the mess going on at KNBC and KTTV, why not kick a horse while they're down and take advantage of a situation? If their is ever a good time to shake things up, it when your competition is failing. What do you have to loose? If anything, you'll get some new eyes who sample and hopefully stay.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone bother to find out WHO watches the new at this time. I have been watching Kent and crew for years at 5am. I work for a living, I am not interested in being entertained at 5AM. I need to hear what's going on, what the weather will be like and if there are any major traffic congestions around town where I drive.

I am also not interested in hearing several giggling bimbos talking about themselves and their little jokes at 5AM--or their clothes, or makeup or plans for the weekend. It reminds me of the inane conversation that 7th graders have all day and I hear that enough. Evidently CBS has decided that the news is not needed at 5AM, that what is going on in the country and world is just not that important. So I have switched to channel 5...they take it a little more seriously, Yes, they stumble on the words, have a problem actually reading their scripts, but PRAISE GOD, they are not laughing non stop like imbiciles.......

Archived