Cubs end WGN-TV contract

312newswannabe

I still struggle to wrap my head around the idea of a whole Cubs network. How the hell do they plan on programming this thing? I've seen the crap Comcast puts on the air during the day, and they broadcast coverage of 4-5 pro clubs and numerous other teams. How is a single team going to sustain the viewers' attention 24/7/365? If they were smart, they might consider talking to the Blackhawks to see if they would want to go into some sort of arrangement (Reinsdorf would want to keep the Sox and Bulls together). The Hawks would bring far superior ratings and more money into the equation, but Rocky Wirtz isn't so stupid to get invloved in something like this. So, it's either just the Cubs or nothing, and I just can't see this working on ANY level.

Well they could air documentaries on anything relating to the organization, have some in-studio shows, etc. Plus the Cubs own the archive of televised games, so they can re-air old games on the new network. Ideally, yes, you would like to have another team to share the channel with to fill up programming but they have plenty of things they can fill the time with- whether people will watch is another thing. If the Dodgers can do it with their own network, so can the Cubs.

What's televised on SNY? Don't they only have the Mets as far as pro sports go? What's televised on LA's two Time Warner Sports Networks? One of them only has the Dodgers, and one of them only has the Lakers. Do they show old games? Do they have deals to show some college sports or anything?

What's televised on SNY? Don't they only have the Mets as far as pro sports go? What's televised on LA's two Time Warner Sports Networks? One of them only has the Dodgers, and one of them only has the Lakers. Do they show old games? Do they have deals to show some college sports or anything?

Don't know too much about SNY, I'll have to check it out later to see what they offer aside from Mets games. TWC-SN which as you alluded has two networks in L.A. The Lakers channel airs the Laker games in addition to Galaxy soccer and L.A. Sparks games, I believe ( i'm sure there are other sports in there as well). The Dodgers network (Sportsnet LA) which is owned by the team and operated by TWC airs Dodgers games and Dodgers related programming. They show pre/post- game shows, condensed games from that day, old games, along with interview shows and some behind the scenes type programming all related to the Dodgers. Basically everything is Dodgers and if you can think of any type of show, they probably have it.

SNY positions itself as a New York sports channel. Yes, the focus is Mets games but they air sports talk shows in the late afternoon/early evening. They also have a newscast that airs at 10:30 and repeats throughout the night and morning. Other live sports include UConn basketball games and games from other schools as well, often from the CSNs or ESPN affiliates. During football season, they have a Jets post-game show in addition to other shows about them.

• 6 months later...

Bit of a bump...

Apparently things aren't going very well for the Cubs in their search for a new television home. Tribune head honcho Larry Wert met with Cubs officials this week at the under-construction Wrigley Field, discussing a likely arrangement that would keep the team on WGN, but for much fewer the 70 game slate in previous years. CSN would likely pick up the difference, but any new arrangement wouldn't be announced til next month.

• 1 month later...

I know it says they will broadcast the 45, but I do wonder if a few of those will merely be produced by 'GN, airing somewhere else, ala the WCIU arrangement. I would imagine that WLS' deal sound end the WGN overflow option.

Trib says its a five year deal. It would "sync up the Cubs' TV and cable rights, allowing the team to pursue its own regional sports network beginning in 2020." So they still want that to be a thing.

Not surprisingly, these games will not be airing on WGN America.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-cubs-wgn-tv-0107-biz-20150106-story.html

I know it says they will broadcast the 45, but I do wonder if a few of those will merely be produced by 'GN, airing somewhere else, ala the WCIU arrangement. I would imagine that WLS' deal sound end the WGN overflow option.

So will three different networks produce Cubs games? Because if so, that really doesn't make sense to me. Seems like there has to be some sort of consolidation in production somewhere.

Interesting that they haven't told us what their plan is logistically as far as the production of these gamecasts.

So will three different networks produce Cubs games? Because if so, that really doesn't make sense to me. Seems like there has to be some sort of consolidation in production somewhere.

Interesting that they haven't told us what their plan is logistically as far as the production of these gamecasts.

What happens if games air on WGN, WCIU, WLS AND CSN? That's 4 (!) airing and if they all produce, 3 outlets for production. I don't see why they would need to consolidate as long as each outlet wanted to use their own stuff and use the standard announcing team. That would seem like a monetary consideration for each outlet and their budget for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Two final notes...It was confirmed and clarified last week, the WGN deal is, in fact, only for channel 9. There will be no games on WCIU, WPWR, or any other overflow outlet.

As for the WLS deal, the first game to air there will be April 8th (Wednesday, 1:20PM) against the Cards. They will also air 4 of the 6 White Sox games between June and August.

Archived