New GFX / Newswire Update on WAVY

TSSZNews

It just debuted today. Sadly I'm not in the area--I'm watching the live stream.

They're using bright blue and white with hints of gold. Definitely different from the open they've spun the past...what, 20 years or so?

Oh, and I hear a refresh of Newswire on the bumps.

I'm sorry, but the water spinning around the white circles reminds me of a toilet more than anything else.

Same here...

Are these graphics from Giant Octopus? The only stations that still commission graphics from them these days seem to be owned by LIN...

Same here...

Are these graphics from Giant Octopus? The only stations that still commission graphics from them these days seem to be owned by LIN...

No. No no no. G.O. was sold to FX! These graphics, as I've mentioned before in the WLS thread (very similar bug) are from Blue Helio (former G.O. owners)!

Same here...

The lower-thirds when I first saw them reminded me of the GO graphics WAVY used during the mid-2000s before changing to essentially what they just replaced.

I'm biased, but I think they're really nice. I sort of wish they kept the

Same here. Not feeling some of these new cuts, though I haven't heard the intro yet.

Overall, what I've seen so far I'd give it about a C.

Finished watching the 11 PM show a little while ago. The graphics are splendid...with two exceptions. First, the red live bug looks a bit out of place amongst all the blue. And second, what were they thinking with the water in the open? It looks like a washing machine.

The music is very bold-sounding, and pairs well with the graphics. The weather cut is especially good - and, surprisingly, the original forecast sting survived. Much to my annoyance, though, the close was too abrupt for me to hear more than about 5 seconds of the music.

The Sportswrap is unchanged...same graphics, same X Package cuts.

Overall, a nice package. I give it a 4/5 rating.

On another note, is everything suddenly new at 11? They must have used that sting 4 or 5 times tonight.

Here's the thing. If I were WAVY's CSD, I'd get that old open back on the air as soon as possible. If I'm getting that "flushing toilet" vibe, other viewers must be getting that vibe as well. That's not just subjective dislike here. That's a legitimate problem on the level of

Those opens were pulled within days, and yes I think these WAVY opens should meet the same fate.

Someone screwed up here. I can't believe nobody caught that or brought that up before launch.

The talent bumps have the water at the bottom, in a similar fashion to their predecessors. That would probably work better in the open.

I DVRed the whole newscast - I should figure out how to get it off my FiOS box and upload screencaps.

I thought they looked like the new KHON ones myself.

And considering that they're both owned by LIN, I thought that was intentional.

Remember, like I said earlier, LIN has a new corporate manager of on-air image and branding now, Kathy Moshler-Boule'. She came from FX so it makes sense the graphics look a lot like work GO would put out. Surprised she let them keep Newswire but they've been using it for a long time so I guess make sense. the updates are cool and I think the graphics are out of the box.

The people who think that the animation looks a washing machine or a toilet flushing and think the opens need to be pulled off the air immediately, you take yourselves too seriously... :)

Seriously, comparing that animation to the VO of a dying person. I think out of respect for Jeff Kaye and his family, they should have not used those VOs but I would not go as far to compare his VOs to WAVY's new open.

No. No no no. G.O. was sold to FX! These graphics, as I've mentioned before in the WLS thread (very similar bug) are from Blue Helio (former G.O. owners)!

Never heard of them. See my comment about Kathy Moshler Boule.

I've attached quick mp3's of the weather intro and the midday close recorded from their live stream. Stream was mono and the quality of my examples are extremely low due to upload size limit on this site.

You can go to the link provided (even outside of newscasts) where they are replaying / looping the prior newscast up until the time when a new live one airs... Oh yeah, apparently you can scrub backwards into a prior segment or show, but the control to do that isn't so great.

http://www.wavy.com/video/livestreaming-video/

Thanks for uploading. :)

The close theme isn't bad. Not too orchestral, not too electric. Certainly doesn't beat the old theme, but it's still a decent track.

I wonder if WVBT will be getting anything new. They're due for a refresh.

Thanks for uploading. :)

The close theme isn't bad. Not too orchestral, not too electric. Certainly doesn't beat the old theme, but it's still a decent track.

I wonder if WVBT will be getting anything new. They're due for a refresh.

Sure no problem. The newswire pack has def. needed a refresh to it. I totally agree, it's tough to beat the original package with any update, but it was just about maxed out as far as squeezing any new or creative uses out of it. About 7 out of the 30 something themes were severely dated (IMO) and had not used in some time.

Concerning the update, guessing Warner-Chappell / 615 did it, but I wouldn't rule out the pack being a Gari update until we get a confirmation. Reason being, Gari had wanted to do an update for them playing off that 4/5 note logo back when WVBT Fox 43 switched to The generic X package. I know that info first hand as I was the one who selected, mixed and processed the x package and VO cuts for the main station ID, open, 10pm bumps, talent, weather and sports intros when the x-pack first launched. Again, my first (and the safe) guess over the updates would be 615, but hopefully we can get confirmation over that and hear more of the new tracks.

I'm digging the new graphics. It's hard not to when the old look dates back to your freshman year of high school...

Mixed on the new music. I like the new update, but wish it kept more true to the original's roots. Something tells me it could be by Gari... it has a slight "This is Home" feel to it. I miss the old close too. It's difficult hearing the new one since I can't remember the last time they DIDN'T use the old one!

..I was the one who selected, mixed and processed the x package and VO cuts for the main station ID, open, 10pm bumps, talent, weather and sports intros when the x-pack first launched.

Did you mix the stuff for any of WAVY's stuff with the previous look? Always loved the Water SFX at the end of the Talent Open...it
with a slow fade to black...

Did you mix the stuff for any of WAVY's stuff with the previous look? Always loved the Water SFX at the end of the Talent Open...it

with a slow fade to black...

I did not do the very first version of that mix which had more of a thumpier sound woosh to the water effects, but I did some tweaks and additions to that mix sometime in 2007, so that clip was a combination of me and another producer... The effects came from the Megasonics Sound Design Toolkit, a collection from the Megatrax folks.

BTW, speaking of the WAVY side of things, I did update several stinger/separators for the newscasts and added in new VO and the "new at 5:30" revised bumper music track from 615 since it was one of 3 themes from 2001 that had never been touched.

One interesting sidenote about the WAVY vo and music tracks happens to be the fact that 615 used to mix and master them back in the late 90's and early 2000's and sent them on CD. From what I remember they cut out the low end of Charlie's voice and sculpted it as to where his voice and the music track would be equally loud in that main top of the show open with the zooming 10 and wicked water splashes. They did the same thing for the talent bumps.

I like the wx music. I hate the close. I absolutely loved the previous close. This might sound cheesy, but my family has vacationed in the Outer Banks for close to 3 decades now, and WAVY has always been my choice. I can't even remember WAVY ever having a music package that wasn't the previous one.

Archived