The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

22 minutes ago, SF1964 said:

Why aren't Ducis and Cecily's names included in the 11PM intro?   It's only "Action News with Rick Williams".  Most of the other daily newscasts mention the full lineup.

Within the last decade or so, the 11pm opens have always been short, so they can go straight to the "Big Story".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, SF1964 said:

Why aren't Ducis and Cecily's names included in the 11PM intro?   It's only "Action News with Rick Williams".  Most of the other daily newscasts mention the full lineup.

Same as it was for years with Jim Gardner. Ludicrous, but so be it. 

The no-names short openings at noon and weekend mornings are absurd. Sundays especially, we know the team. There is no longer a second anchor. Just put the darn names in and run a full intro. 

And if Sarah is going to be the only permanent person at noon, ditto, put her name in. If you’re going to use John Paul permanently, great, put the name in. I get the “weather by committee” stuff, though you could cut three versions for the three regulars.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 1:22 AM, Mrknowitall526 said:

Funny commercial!  What's happening with Tamron Hall?  Her show cancelled?  Wonder who the hosts will be?

Also, and this is industry-wide... how many hours of news do we possibly need in one day?!  This means on air 4-7 AM, streaming from 7-?? (not sure), now 10 AM, Noon, 4-6:30 PM, streaming at 6:30, 10 PM on PHL 17 (though who knows if that continues?), 11 PM.  Let's just have Action News 24/7!  Kidding, of course... though they'd probably make a better 24 hour news network than CNN...

It isn’t about how many hours anyone needs, because no one (well…almost) actually watches them all. You jump

in when it works for you. I watch the 5 am 1/2 hour most mornings. That they also have the other 2 1/2 hours is irrelevant. 

And they get all the commercial inventory with a relatively small additional expense that is spread over the entire operation. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wofchristian said:

Since were now getting a 10AM newscast, who do you think will anchor it? And do we yet to have an actual lineup for noon?

My guess is Matt and Tamela. Or John Paul and/or Christie Ileto.

But I think a better lineup would be:

10am & 4pm: John Paul & Alyanna Gomez

12noon & 5pm: Brian Taff & Sarah Bloomquist

6pm, 10pm, 11pm: Rick Williams & Sharrie Williams

Send Gray back to weekend AM where he shined alongside Nydia and Chris. 

I guess that was a little surprising, but great to give it its own identity. Wondering if it’s going to be akin to 4 and 5 pm where one is a “third wheel”’who pops in here and there with a story or a genuine three-person anchor setup. And all props to Karen Rogers. All the prep work in the middle of the night, four hours on the morning show, inclusive of the streaming hour, now an added hour daily. 

Guessing then moon stays as weather-by-committee. Feel like they should give Karen the break on Tuesdays and put Chris on both Tuesday and Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

I guess that was a little surprising, but great to give it its own identity. Wondering if it’s going to be akin to 4 and 5 pm where one is a “third wheel”’who pops in here and there with a story or a genuine three-person anchor setup. And all props to Karen Rogers. All the prep work in the middle of the night, four hours on the morning show, inclusive of the streaming hour, now an added hour daily. 

Guessing then moon stays as weather-by-committee. Feel like they should give Karen the break on Tuesdays and put Chris on both Tuesday and Wednesday. 

My guess is it will mostly be a two person broadcast with Nydia continuing on weekends.  

With Alyana Gomez (Saturday Anchor) and Nydia Han (Sunday Anchor) being taken off weekends for the 10am show, who do we think will take over weekends? My guess is that Maggie Kent and John Paul each get one day. As for the noon show, I think it would make sense for either Alyana or Nydia to join Sarah since they will already be there for the 10am show and currently do not have any other roles on weekdays. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s the debut of the 10AM newscast! This is really interesting, it seems they are keeping Alyana, Alicia and Nydia all on the desk as regular anchors at the same time! But this makes  desk looks really cramped. 

Also to note with the intro, for the first time in years, MCTYW is being played in the original key! I am also surprised that they didn’t debut the new graphics today.

It seemed like a perfectly fine newscast, the right tone for a midday show. Interesting at the very end to see the still image for the noon show. But that’s a little bit of minutiae only a few will even notice.

Nice to see after all the time she’s spent as the “third wheel” and doing fill-ins that Alicia is part of the main team for a newscast, too. 

• Haha 1