The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, chance said:

I just (like literally just now) heard a rejoin voiceover that I've never heard before. Here's how it went:

"Action News, Delaware Valley's leading news program, now continues."

Has anyone heard this before? 

Still hearing this voiceover, but only at 4pm. Hour-long weekend evening newscasts use the generic rejoin (Action News continues). I wonder why they choose to air this at 4?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught the end of the noon newscast and it had a female voiceover saying “brought to you by Patio Enclosures” and then there was a full ad for it. Not sure if 6 has done this before but I haven’t seen it and thought it was strange.

7 hours ago, SF1964 said:

Maggie Kent is co-anchoring the 5PM news today with Sharrie.

Yes I saw that and found it to be a bit weird. Both Brian and Sarah were on at noon and 4pm. They always tend to be Rick and Sharrie’s main backups, along with Erin, and vice a versa. Even if they were unavailable, it seems odd that they wouldn’t have Walter or Gray sub. 

On 3/15/2021 at 5:28 PM, SF1964 said:

Maggie Kent is co-anchoring the 5PM news today with Sharrie.

She co-anchored at 5 PM today as well. I believe it may be because she’s also filling in at 10 PM. A little surprised they just don’t go solo at 10 PM when the one anchor is off.

50 minutes ago, chance said:

It's odd, because Brian filled in for Rick on Friday (I think), but Maggie filled in on Monday and Tuesday. Brian isn't off this week; why couldn't he just fill in at 5pm and Sharrie solo at 10pm?

Today at 12noon Sarah is anchoring solo, but instead of saying Brian is off, she said Brian will be along a little bit later, which means that he’ll be anchoring the later shows. Makes me think that he will be filling in for Rick at both 5PM and 10PM, in addition to anchoring the 4PM. I wonder why they think it is essential to have a coanchor at 10PM when one of the anchors is off, but not at 12noon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chance said:

Now Maggie is with Brian at 4pm. Maybe Brian will be on with Sharrie at 5 and 10, which explains why he was off at noon? But then why can't Sharrie anchor at 4pm? Why do they need to have Maggie? 

Especially since Sarah is working why couldn’t she have anchored the 4 PM? Sarah did give the preview for the 5 PM, so I wonder if both Rick and Sharrie are off today. Alicia was the feature anchor at 4pm. In the close, they mentioned Sarah’s name.

Update as I’m writing this, Sarah and Erin are co-anchoring at 5pm.

58 minutes ago, newscopter7 said:

I wonder if there is a stipulation in the agreement between stations that there must be two anchors for the 10:00 p.m. broadcast?

I don’t think, as the 10 PM has had solo anchors in the past.

57 minutes ago, chance said:

Now Maggie is with Brian at 4pm. Maybe Brian will be on with Sharrie at 5 and 10, which explains why he was off at noon? But then why can't Sharrie anchor at 4pm? Why do they need to have Maggie? 

Nope. Rick and Sharrie are BOTH off, and Erin O'Hearn and Sarah Bloomquist are in at 5.

7 minutes ago, chance said:

Nope. Rick and Sharrie are BOTH off, and Erin O'Hearn and Sarah Bloomquist are in at 5.

I’m wondering if they wanted an anchor on both newscasts instead of having two fill-in reporters doing the 5pm? Although not sure I understand why Brian and Sarah didn’t just anchor at 4pm and 5pm ... unless Jim is also off???

I feel like we should have a 4pm anchor announcement in the next month, so maybe they are testing pairs?

Even weirder, both Walter and Gray were in studio doing reports so they could have also filled in. 

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m wondering if they wanted an anchor on both newscasts instead of having two fill-in reporters doing the 5pm? Although not sure I understand why Brian and Sarah didn’t just anchor at 4pm and 5pm ... unless Jim is also off???

I feel like we should have a 4pm anchor announcement in the next month, so maybe they are testing pairs?

Even weirder, both Walter and Gray were in studio doing reports so they could have also filled in. 

Yeah, none of this makes any sense. Here is the schedule that I think would have made more sense:

4pm: Brian and Maggie OR Brian and Sarah

5pm: Brian and Sarah

6pm: Jim

10pm: Brian and Maggie 

11pm: Jim

7 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Thursday’s lineup was the following:

12noon: Sarah solo

4pm: Brian and Sarah

5pm: Brian and Maggie

Curious to see what Friday brings as Sarah is traditionally off.

Erin O’Hearn occasionally fills in for Sarah. I think this will be the lineup: 

12pm: Erin 

4pm: Brian and Erin

5pm: Brian and Maggie

Or, Karen could do the news and weather at noon, LOL. 

Here are my candidates for 4pm co-anchor, since we should be getting an announcement for the replacement soon.

Very likely

Sarah Bloomquist

Likely

Alicia Vitarelli

Erin O'Hearn

Possible

Maggie Kent

In terms of Melissa's replacement, I hope they bring in someone from outside; not only would I like to see who they would choose, I don't think any of the meteorologists should move to different slots.