The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

On 10/8/2019 at 5:25 PM, SF1964 said:

WPVI is selling a book commemorating 50 years of Action News.

Info on book.

actionnewsbook.jpg

Damn, I know Action News is popular in philly but damn...how popular can you be when you see this message on the site as you plan on placing your order...🤑 getting one now.

DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING RESPONSE WE HAVE RECEIVED FOR THIS BOOK IT MAY TAKE US A LITTLE EXTRA TIME TO PROCESS YOUR ORDER. OUR STAFF IS WORKING TO SEND ALL ORDERS OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Edited by justin2kx

On 11/1/2019 at 6:18 PM, TVNewsLover said:

Christie was the main reporter subbing as an anchor and she got nothing (so far).

Not that surprised. Christie Ileto is expecting. While for obvious reasons 6abc would never say that was a reason, for the sake of establishing a new line up, I can see why a news director wouldn't want one of the key pieces to be someone who will be out for 3+ months during the critical early stages of this new line up. 

Edited by adamv2

This is the way It did look: (Before Monica left in May)

Noon: Rick Williams and Sarah Bloomquist
4 pm: Brian Taff, Shari Williams; Alicia Viterelli features anchor
5 pm: Rick Williams, (Monica Malpass)
10 pm PHL17: Brian Taff, Shari Williams

November Anchor line up:  The one on top was the anchor line up before May..

And this seems to be the lineup the station is going with now:

Noon: Sarah Bloomquist and Brian Taff
4 pm: Brian Taff and Jeanette Reyes; Sarah Bloomquist features anchor
5 pm: Rick Williams and Shari Williams; Alicia Viterelli features anchor
10 pm on PHL17: Rich Williams and Shari Williams

Source: FTV Live.

Make your own assumptions to what happens during this version of the November sweeps and what additional changes need to be made..

I do miss Sarah, I do not see the mix with Rick Williams and Shari Williams.  I always liked Action News because you usually knew who you would be seeing behind the anchor desk.  The other 2 channels change a lot.

I can't help but to think this all might have something to do with Jim Gardner's eventual retirement.

Somebody mentioned on another site that these moves are odd for a brand that’s built on stability. I wonder if Jim is thinking about cutting back his workload and maybe dropping the 11 had anything to do with the drastic changes. When Shirleen left, they tested many pairs before deciding on Sharrie, although I believe she was the most frequent.

Interestingly, Sarah was on today, Friday, at noon. So maybe that means she is back to a M-F schedule and someone else will be sitting next to Walter Sunday night. They mentioned Jeanette in the close, but not Alicia (who was not on today). Could she be the Sunday night anchor? We shall see, stay tuned ...

15 hours ago, HulkieD said:

Is CVD still doing the opens?  They’re easing off on using him it seems.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they just give him only the opens like they were doing with Jeff Kaye towards the end.

Yeah and he's definitely lost his fastball. It's not Jeff Kaye's last opens bad but it ain't too far off. They would best be served finding someone else next time they need opens. (I vote for Paul Turner or Bill Ratner.)

12 hours ago, SJNewsFan said:

The new noon, 4p, and 5p teams are being promoted in banners on 6abc’s website

Well, I guess that's official. Time now to settle in. And the successors/replacements are very good at what they do, so I won't fret for very long.

57 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Yeah and he's definitely lost his fastball. It's not Jeff Kaye's last opens bad but it ain't too far off. They would best be served finding someone else next time they need opens. (I vote for Paul Turner or Bill Ratner.)

Turner's dramatic, exaggerated style of announcing wouldn't be a great fit for PVI, IMO. Ratner would be a much better choice.

5 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Turner's dramatic, exaggerated style of announcing wouldn't be a great fit for PVI, IMO. Ratner would be a much better choice.

Paul and Bill actually were promo voices for WPVI in the late 90s and 2000s before Charlie took over. Paul is also local based here in the suburbs so his voice wouldn't be foreign to the station and its viewers at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ratner isn't sounding very good these days either, sadly.  I can't think of anyone who would fit that style... maybe they'll go in a complete other direction and nab Chapin like their northern sister did?

Chapin WPVI opens would be something.  (Although it would have been better if it were his more robotic early 90s delivery...)

Edited by HulkieD
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HulkieD said:

Ratner isn't sounding very good these days either, sadly.  I can't think of anyone who would fit that style... maybe they'll go in a complete other direction and nab Chapin like their northern sister did?

Chapin WPVI opens would be something.  (Although it would have been better if it were his more robotic early 90s delivery...)

He's still WTXF's primary voice so I doubt they'd even consider him even if he wasn't. I still think Paul Turner would be a likely choice and a good fit at that. One from left field would be if Howard Parker would consider doing local work again. He does a lot of work for ABC on the entertainment side already. I think his big dark voice would sound great belting out the opens.

• 2 weeks later...

So great to see they are finally adding a full time weekend co-anchor, if that is indeed what they are doing. Sarah can then finally go back to a M-F schedule.

They should adjust the weather lineup too. Have Adam on at noon, 4, and 6, and Cecily at 5 (full hour), 10, and 11. Gives them equal air time, relieves David of long mornings, allows at least one of them to get home to their kids at a decent time, and establishes more cohesive teams (Cecily with Rick/Sharrie/Alicia, Adam with Brian/Sarah/Jeanette).

It looks like the 11pm show is being rebroadcast again, this time at midnight on the zombie LiveWell 6.2. Previous rebroadcasts included the 10pm hour for WPHL being rebroadcast at midnight on 17.2, and the long-running 2am "encore presentation as a service for our late-night viewers" on 6. Glad to see it back!

• Like 3