The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

It seemed like right after the crash, they stopped using it; but I seem to recall them using it around the Lansdowne house fire/police shooting. 

I think it was mentioned on the graphics thread that "Action Cam" seems to be retired. Fun to check in on the graphics updates - traffic for example they have updated to the new look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why did 6ABC send a reporter down to Baltimore to report on the bridge collapse?  It looked like they were just on the side of some random road.  Won't there be enough coverage nationally?

Edited by SF1964
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

They have two reporters on site, and perhaps they are reporting for other affiliates. Regardless, it is a story with major implications for the economy, and we're not that far away that sending a couple of reporters to provide coverage is an issue. They can take the national stuff, but there's value in having a recognized part of the team there early on. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SF1964 said:

Why did 6ABC send a reporter down to Baltimore to report on the bridge collapse?  It looked like they were just on the side of some random road.  Won't there be enough coverage nationally?

To add to what @Abraham J. Simpson said, it wasn't just channel 6. Each Philly station sent reporters down. It happens on any major story between D.C. and New York.

It doesn't take long driving between each of the 4 major cities, and it's more freedom to get stories on your own, than depending on other sources, in addition to providing extended coverage for national & international news agencies.

Local out of town reporters were in Philly for some big stories recently, including the Fairmont Fire, and the I-95 bridge fire & collapse.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SF1964 said:

33 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

WFMZ sent 2 reporters also, which I also thought was kind of unnecessary ... but I see the points you just made!

Same. I feel like local stations send their reporters to go cover a far away national story as a flex of having "presence" on the ground. Depending on the situation, I view it as unnecessary. Instead of spending that money to send your talent down there, the national network already fills that purpose.

Vice versa, if a *less major story* happens Baltimore, I used to wonder why networks -- in this case ABC -- wouldn't just take a local affiliate package instead of flying a reporter out there. But I guess networks want their people on the story. Moreover, the experience level of the local talent (depending on the market size) may not translate well to the expected quality of a network newscast. Example, a mid skill fresh out of college reporter submitting a package to WNT. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

Baltimore is not far away from Philly for these purposes. Heck, I’ve made down-and-back trips for business meetings. Having a presence isn’t just a flex when one person’s standard thinks it to be so. It was barely a couple of weeks ago a huge cargo ship docked in Philly’s port. There’s plenty there to warrant a local angle itself, not to mention having your familiar name available when you want to take the coverage. There’s nothing wrong with using the resources you have to cover a huge story a couple of hours away. 

Same applies to networks sending reporters. They make the judgement call based on real-world experience about when to send a reporter, since that’s why they have a stable of correspondents. 

Well, no matter how we feel, the days of local stations flying reporters out to a National Story are becoming limited with big cheap companies like Nexstar --with a station in almost every market -- who will just distribute a local package to sister stations. 

Sure, Nexstar and some others are their own deal compared to several O&Os...and WFMZ in this particular case. If this had been say something on the Mississippi, then yeah, the Philly locals aren't likely flying anyone out.  A couple hours of driving though....sure. By a general estimate, the drive to the Baltimore area from Philly would be less than a half hour longer than to some of the Jersey shore destinations they cover (like Long Beach Island and Cape May). Maybe a little extra for a bathroom break at a rest stop. 😉

I was wondering when someone else  would notice that. Yeah, she is in that third-wheel type thing they have now expanded to the morning show and the primarily fill-in for either Matt or Tam it appears. She started showing up in the promos as part of the team not long ago, so it all makes sense. 

• 3 weeks later...