The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

The latest forecast posted at https://6abc.com/weather/ shows the new graphics, Brittany Boyer mentioned it toward the end of the weather cast, specifically when she pulled up the 7-day forecast. Speaking firmly from the “how dare they re-record MCTYW with an orchestra” camp, it does feel weird to see the 7-day displayed horizontally as opposed to the traditional WPVI vertical, but I like the new look overall. Walter even made mention after the segment how when he started at WPVI, they were still using their physical Velcro weather graphics 

16 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

The latest forecast posted at https://6abc.com/weather/ shows the new graphics

I've been looking forward to WPVI getting these graphics since I first saw WLS using them, and they are as breathtakingly incredible here as they are there. Agreed about the new 7-Day; it hits different to me but looks so great nonetheless that they'll grow on me.

My opinion:  Change is good here.  Yes, the new 7-day look will take time to get used to, as with anything.   

Other's opinion:  Only 1 in this FB thread liked it (two if you include my comment lol).   Rest, well they don't.  Once person asked to change it back to 'save his marriage'.  Philly, being Philly I guess.  LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/6abcActionNewsWeather/photos/a.164230073660511/5984925338257593/?__cft__[0]=AZVBHUZenayjbhVYtwF9YV61w0VW-V9mI6YVOhNmdE11dx2ooOJVe-6Ncvicj0y-5CQB1PXKbZIGLBL7A0m2VMANeEzkQJBDeNdriw3FnlWUhukX3EM7OlC-hCEksa-MEfHbC29IG71wjcveHVPFGKUHTPyJr2poT8FzUXn8oudxcev5P2j01MFCxv9F6CkAjtk&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

-- Matt

Edited by susquvalleywgal
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, JerryPHL234 said:

Anchor/Reporter Jillian Mele has left 6abc, and her bio has been removed from the 6abc website. 

Wonder who will replace her on weekend evenings with Walter. My bet is Alyana, but I could see them giving Christie, Maggie, and Nydia a tryout.

5 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Wonder who will replace her on weekend evenings with Walter. My bet is Alyana, but I could see them giving Christie, Maggie, and Nydia a tryout.

Idk why, but I always felt Mele was out of place at Channel 6. It didn't feel, to me, like there was a natural fit.

I think Walter does fine by himself. Is there a reason why they're trying to add an co-anchor with him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

So I realize that yesterday was a holiday full of fill-ins, but what’s the purpose of having Walter fill in for Gray (and Sharrie) at 10pm, only to have Gray fill in at 11pm for Rick?

11pm is a ‘bigger’ show, more prestigious time slot…

• Like 1

Gray is now a weeknight anchor, and Walter is not, so the former gets the big show in such a basic hierarchy. I don't know who did the earlier shows, so I don't know that Gray needed to be pulled from his regular 10pm slot, but I'd imagine the 10 wasn't a top priority on a holiday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Gray is now a weeknight anchor, and Walter is not, so the former gets the big show in such a basic hierarchy. I don't know who did the earlier shows, so I don't know that Gray needed to be pulled from his regular 10pm slot, but I'd imagine the 10 wasn't a top priority on a holiday.

It was:

12noon: John & Sarah

4pm: Walter & Sarah

5pm: Gray & Christie

6pm: Sarah

10pm: Walter

11pm: Gray

I get what you’re all saying, but in that same hierarchy and line of reasoning, Sarah should’ve been the fill-in at 11pm, and someone should’ve filled in at noon for her. Or when Rick is off, Brian should fill in for him and someone should fill in for Brian then. Just seems stupid. I know, I’m nitpicking over something stupid. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, TVNewsLover said:

It was:

12noon: John & Sarah

4pm: Walter & Sarah

5pm: Gray & Christie

6pm: Sarah

10pm: Walter

11pm: Gray

I get what you’re all saying, but in that same hierarchy and line of reasoning, Sarah should’ve been the fill-in at 11pm, and someone should’ve filled in at noon for her. Or when Rick is off, Brian should fill in for him and someone should fill in for Brian then. Just seems stupid. I know, I’m nitpicking over something stupid. 

Its not about hierarchy, it's about shifts. Gray already does the 10PM PHL17 cast, so it makes sense to keep him on. If Sarah were to fill in at 11PM, that means she would've been working for 12 hours, which I'm pretty sure no one wants to do.

1 hour ago, wofchristian said:

It’s not about hierarchy, it's about shifts. Gray already does the 10PM PHL17 cast, so it makes sense to keep him on. If Sarah were to fill in at 11PM, that means she would've been working for 12 hours, which I'm pretty sure no one wants to do.

I never said it was about hierarchy, that was someone else’s argument, which I argued would have resulted in a different lineup. But you’re also wrong, it’s not about shifts either. If it were, why would they not have Gray anchor the 10pm and have Walter do the 11pm?

Edited by TVNewsLover

Gabriella Galati will be joining Action News as a sports reporter/anchor.   She previously worked for the Philadelphia Eagles as a reporter.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2023/07/10/eagles-in-house-host-says-she-is-joining-6abc.html

The article also mentions that Renee Washington, who had previously announced that she was joining 6ABC as a sports reporter, now works for MSG network.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny commercial!  What's happening with Tamron Hall?  Her show cancelled?  Wonder who the hosts will be?

Also, and this is industry-wide... how many hours of news do we possibly need in one day?!  This means on air 4-7 AM, streaming from 7-?? (not sure), now 10 AM, Noon, 4-6:30 PM, streaming at 6:30, 10 PM on PHL 17 (though who knows if that continues?), 11 PM.  Let's just have Action News 24/7!  Kidding, of course... though they'd probably make a better 24 hour news network than CNN...

• Like 2

One ounce of research would make it fairly clear that Tamron is returning for the new season, while Rachael Ray has ended. Therefore, Tamron is moving to afternoons.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2