The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

3 hours ago, johnothy said:

I was glad to read Brian Taff is replacing Jim Gardner on the 6pm newscast. He’s always been a favorite and will be great. Brian posted the news today on his Facebook page. 

I wonder who will replace him at noon? Still think they should have went with Rick & Sharrie at 5,10,11, and Brian & Sarah at 12,4,6.

My bets are on Christie, Alyana, or Alicia getting the noon spot, with Gray as a long shot.

And although Brian is probably my favorite anchor at 6, seems kinda sexist to replace both male solo anchored newscasts with two male solo anchors. 

Edited by TVNewsLover

1 hour ago, johnothy said:

I was glad to read Brian Taff is replacing Jim Gardner on the 6pm newscast. He’s always been a favorite and will be great. Brian posted the news today on his Facebook page. 

Brian's come a long way when he was known as "Brian Taffe" and working for what was then known as YNN (now Spectrum News) in NY hosting Capital Tonight.

Happy for Brian, although it seems a bit odd to me that 6 & 11 are different anchors now?  I don't know, I don't watch 3 or 10 so I have no clue who anchors any of those newscasts anymore.

I wondered today: if Monica Malpass hadn't left, do you think she and Rick would have gotten 6 & 11?  I tend to think yes.

17 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Happy for Brian, although it seems a bit odd to me that 6 & 11 are different anchors now?  I don't know, I don't watch 3 or 10 so I have no clue who anchors any of those newscasts anymore.

I wondered today: if Monica Malpass hadn't left, do you think she and Rick would have gotten 6 & 11?  I tend to think yes.

Either that or Monica would’ve gotten the 11 solo I think, as she was the more frequent fill-in.

I wonder if Sarah will be the primary fill-in at 6pm just as Sharrie is at 11pm. 

17 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Either that or Monica would’ve gotten the 11 solo I think, as she was the more frequent fill-in.

I wonder if Sarah will be the primary fill-in at 6pm just as Sharrie is at 11pm. 

2 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

Has anything more come to light about Monica’s abrupt departure? 

It was strange that there was no on-air send off considering her tenure with the station. 

She had one.

https://6abc.com/monica-malpass-retires-leaves-action-news-what-happened-to-where-is/5312963/

Edited by cg41386

When they did the prime time special, Rick quickly mentioned that Monica had retired. This isn’t the case since she’s now a reporter at Nasdaq so it feels like that something negative happened between her and 6. Yes, she got a farewell mention but it seemed small considering she had been at the station for a long time and had become a popular household name.

Edited by G2000
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, AdamStabelli1 said:

Where has Rick been at 11 these past few days? Is he on vancation and Shari is filling in? Is he not working out ratings wise so 6 is trying Shari in his place? It’s just strange that Jim’s so-called successor at 11 hasn’t been there.

Jesus Christ, he's anchored the 11 for nearly a year, and IT'S THE HOLIDAYS.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On the noon show, it's been Alyana Gomez co-anchoring with Sarah Bloomquist yesterday and today. No indication of whether this is a tryout like they've been doing on Saturday mornings or this is the station's permanent arrangement. I believe Sarah has been solo since Brian left to do the 6pm show.

If Alyana is indeed getting an anchor slot, good for her! She does very well filling in. And it would fit in their tradition of an all-female team at noon starting with Lisa Thomas-Laury and Chris Wagner, who then anchored with Robin Garrison, who then anchored with Monica Malpass.

UPDATE: 1/5/23 Jillian Mele co-anchored with Sarah today. Looks like they will be trying people out on the noon show.

Edited by FJ2000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 8:33 PM, JerryPHL234 said:

Anchor/Reporter Jaclyn Lee is leaving WPVI. Wonder if she is headed to ABC News in New York. I remember she filled in on World News Now a few times.  

She is indeed joining ABC:

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got to think Jillian’s a shoe in for weekend evenings at this point. She’s been co-anchoring with Walter a bunch of weeks in a row now, sometimes on both nights. I’m wondering if they’re waiting for the new sports person to start before making the official announcement and changing the opening.

They do still appear to be testing pairings at noon and on weekend mornings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...