The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

5 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

They definitely must be shortstaffed. Matt O'Donnell is anchoring the 5p news tonight with Alyana Gomez.

So far today:

Morning: Matt & Alicia

Noon: Alicia (solo) (also said Sarah would be along later)

4pm: Matt & Alyana 

5pm: Matt & Alyana

6pm: Matt

10pm: Nydia (solo)

11pm: Matt

Edited by TVNewsLover

This Monday morning Jillian Mele and Alicia Vitarelli are in for Matt (who will be along later today) and Tamela. Also, Gina Gannon is doing traffic.

Alicia also anchored the noon solo (but did say Sarah would be along later). 

I'm wondering if there’s been a COVID outbreak. There’s been way too many people off, with Sarah putting in a marathon shift Thursday (and was supposed to be on Friday), and Matt pulling a marathon shift on Friday.

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 5:20 PM, TVNewsLover said:

So far today:

Morning: Matt & Alicia

Noon: Alicia (solo) (also said Sarah would be along later)

4pm: Matt & Alyana 

5pm: Matt & Alyana

6pm: Matt

10pm: Nydia (solo)

11pm: Matt

Poor Matt. That is overkill

12 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

This Monday morning Jillian Mele and Alicia Vitarelli are in for Matt (who will be along later today) and Tamela. Also, Gina Gannon is doing traffic.

Alicia also anchored the noon solo (but did say Sarah would be along later). 

I'm wondering if there’s been a COVID outbreak. There’s been way too many people off, with Sarah putting in a marathon shift Thursday (and was supposed to be on Friday), and Matt pulling a marathon shift on Friday.

That's what I'm thinking... Nothing else seems to make any sense. I doubt they would schedule THAT many vacations / days off all at once. 

Nydia Han is currently on with Matt and Brittany is doing the weather. 

• Like 1

Update for today (Monday):

Morning: Jillian & Alicia (Gina Gannon also filled in on traffic - Karen did weather)

Noon: Alicia (solo) (Chris did weather)

4pm: Matt & Nydia (Sarah did multiple stories from home - Chris did weather - Gina on traffic - Rick did a short report from Maryland)

5pm: Matt & Nydia (Brittany did weather - Gina on traffic - Rick did multiple “road trip” reports from Maryland - apparently he’s taking a road trip all week)

6pm: Matt (Brittany weather)

10pm: Nydia (solo) (Brittany weather)

11pm: Matt (Brittany weather)

Edited by TVNewsLover

Tuesday’s lineup:

Morning: Maggie, Alicia, Karen - weather, Jessica - traffic

Noon: Alicia (solo), Karen - weather (Jillian was in the sat center)

4pm: Jillian, Nydia, Brittany - weather, Sarah working from home, Jessica - traffic, Rick also did a brief report, Christie also did a report from the Ben Franklin Parkway

5pm: Jillian, Sharrie, Brittany - weather, Jessica - traffic, Rick on his road trip

6pm: Sharrie, Brittany - weather, Jillian did a story in studio, Tamela Edwards did a story from South Philly

10pm: Nydia, Sharrie, Brittany - weather

11pm: Sharrie, Brittany - weather

Edited by TVNewsLover

31 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Tamela is promoting an interview with VP Harris; I wonder if they kept her out of the studio for a while as a way of quarantining her before the meeting. Whatever the situation is, it's a weird one. 

I'm surprised that they are not having Jim Gardner do the interview.

-- Matt

2 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

I'm surprised that they are not having Jim Gardner do the interview.

-- Matt

Last I saw on the socials was that Jim is out if the country. Besides, these interviews are frequently granted to those whose profiles are looking to be boosted...and not the guy retiring within a year.

• Like 5

A return to almost normalcy today?:

Morning: Matt, Maggie, Karen weather, Matt traffic

Noon: Alicia (solo), Chris weather

4pm: Walter, Sarah, Chris weather, Alicia feature anchor, Christie reporting on the street, Jessica traffic

5pm: Alicia, Sharrie, Brittany weather, Jessica traffic, Rick road trip

6pm: Sharrie, Brittany weather

46 minutes ago, phillynewslover said:

Walter Perez is doing sports tonight. He used to be a color commentator for "Princeton Football Radio Network" according to Wikipedia, but I don't think I've ever seen him sportscasting on Action News. 

I remember several years ago he once filled in for Keith Russell one Saturday night. He wasn’t that bad. 

9 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Walter Perez is doing sports tonight. He used to be a color commentator for "Princeton Football Radio Network" according to Wikipedia, but I don't think I've ever seen him sportscasting on Action News. 

Ducis has been out the entire week. With Jamie now handling weekend duties as well, just seems wrong to make her work 9 days straight. 

This talent shortage isn't just limited to Action News either. Saw a promo for this week's FYI Philly with TaRhonda Thomas hosting with Alicia. You know it's bad over there when they have to have a hard news reporter host the station's entertainment show.

I was gonna say, there had to be more to Gray's promotion than just the 10pm show. I believe WABC is the only other O&O programming against World News Tonight, but that's in the form of The Countdown, which has rotating anchors and long-form stories/interviews, even though their initial announcement mentioned Bill and Sade as anchors.

Edited by 24994J

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 7:50 PM, SF1964 said:

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but they could possibly put Gray on the 5PM show later this year, when/if Rick Williams is given the 6PM after Jim retires.

I think I’d be pissed if I were Matt O’Donnell or Brian Taft.