The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Cecily just said this is the first time her and Tamala have ever been together on Action News. Tamala has been there for about 15 years, Cecily about 25.

With David Murphy and Karen Rogers, it's very rare to see other meteorologists, especially Cecily and Adam, fill in during weekday mornings.

Wonder what the plan is after he leaves. I see a few options:

1-Karen slides over to weather with Jessica Boyington taking over traffic.

2-Karen slides over to weather with Matt Pellman taking over traffic while continuing at 4pm and 5pm.

3-Karen slides over to weather with Matt Pellman taking over traffic while Jessica Boyington takes over afternoon traffic.

Also, I feel this is a good time to rearrange weekday weather duties as mornings and noon is a long time for one person.

Cecily-5pm (full hour), 10pm, 11pm

Adam-12noon, 4pm, 6pm

Karen (or David’s replacement)-mornings

I agree. Your scheduling gives Cecily and Adam equal airtime, whereas the real scheduling has Adam working one hour more than Cecily (he does 4p hour, 5:30p half hour, and 10p hour, adding up to two and a half hours; she does the 5p half hour, 6p half hour, and 11p half hour, adding up to an hour and a half).

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks David Murphy's final broadcast as weekday morning meteorologist. The rest of the team have done a fantastic job of celebrating him and his 30-year career at Action News, and the clips they featured from the rest of the AccuWeather team were very sweet.

I grew up with the whole team since I was still in elementary school, and Murph's weather reports always made me smile before getting out the door. I will miss him for sure, but he definitely deserves retirement. I wish a great, fun, lasting and... restful next chapter.

• Like 2

As I was watching David Murphy's tribute for the morning broadcast, it really is an accomplishment that the morning team of Matt, Tam, David, and Karen have been together for 17 years. And IIRC, they were the permanent team that succeeded Rick, Monica, and Cecily in the mornings.

Here's the link of David Murphy's retirement on 6abc.com:
https://6abc.com/david-murphy-retiring-is-when-action-news-retirement/10971435/

And David Murphy's last broadcast at noon today was posted by PhillyNewsLover's YT Channel, with tributes from other members of the AccuWeather team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Karen Rogers is officially the new meteorologist for Action News Mornings. https://6abc.com/karen-rogers-6abc-action-news-mornings-meteorologist-matt-odonnell/11019541/

It was hers to lose. And that was the smart thing to do. But I'm wondering who's going to do traffic now. Will it be Matt Pellman or someone else?

Edited by tjt24

1 hour ago, tjt24 said:

It was hers to lose. And that was the smart thing to do. But I'm wondering who's going to do traffic now. Will it be Matt Pellman or someone elsem

I'm guessing Jessica Boyington gets the job. She filled that role before at WCAU and I'm fairly certain they hired her with David's eventual retirement in mind. They'll try her and Matt Pellman out just to do their due diligence though.

• Like 1

Also wondering who will do weather at noon. David used to do weather at noon (M-Th with Friday off) but he also would first appear on air at 4:30am (not 4am - Karen handled the weather that first half hour). So far Britney did Monday (also 4pm too) and Chris did Tuesday.

Honestly think they should give Adam the noon. Have him do noon, 4pm, 6pm, and Cecily 5pm (full hour), 10pm, 11pm. Gives Adam & Cecily equal air time, let’s Adam get home at a decent time to see his kids, and alleviates Karen from working 10 hour days.