The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Interesting that Walter was on the past two Saturdays but off both Sundays. This past Sunday (yesterday), Nydia filled in and said “Walter & Sarah are off”. Also interesting is Nydia’s social media post indicates she was on vacation and got called back last night to fill-in for Sarah, who was supposed to be on last night but was feeling under the weather. So the mystery of whether Sarah is still on Sundays continues.

On Twitter, she said "hope you're feeling better, Sarah Bloomquist," so she might be sick. However, she soloed at noon today (also, unrelated, but at the end of the noon David Murphy said "sus" as his kids requested... LOL). I don't understand why they would continue to have Sarah do a Sun-Thu schedule now that she anchors at 4:00. They can probably have Sharrie or Alicia fill in at 4, but still, that's a little weird to have someone always be off of two newscasts one day each week. 

43 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

0A3B7175-57BA-45ED-8449-1EFF55933B78.jpeg

That is not correct. She began regularly working weekends in February 2014, which was 7 years ago. 9 years ago was 2012, and Rob Jennings was still doing weekends solo then. She didn't do weekend mornings either (at least not as recently as 9 years ago). She said it on Twitter too, not sure what she is talking about. 

• Haha 1

She probably made a mistake, on her post.  Rob Jennings was still the solo anchorman for Action News on weekends back then.

I believe the co anchoring was an experiment that lasted longer than expected. I wonder if Walter will  go solo from here on in.

Interesting fill-in: Bob Brooks is in for Brian Taff at noon (Sarah said Taff will be along "later on"). I wonder why they don't have Matt or Tamala sub at noon? WFMZ and KYW do it (WFMZ's morning newscast is actually longer, running from 5am to 10am whereas 6's runs from 4am to 7am). 

On 7/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, phillynewslover said:

Interesting fill-in: Bob Brooks is in for Brian Taff at noon (Sarah said Taff will be along "later on"). I wonder why they don't have Matt or Tamala sub at noon? WFMZ and KYW do it (WFMZ's morning newscast is actually longer, running from 5am to 10am whereas 6's runs from 4am to 7am). 

I thought Rick and Sarah were doing the noon a while ago?  When did Matt and Tamala stop anchoring the noon?

8 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

I thought Rick and Sarah were doing the noon a while ago?  When did Matt and Tamala stop anchoring the noon?

I know they probably did but I don't ever remember Matt and Tamala anchoring at noon. Rick and Monica would anchor at noon when they did the morning news, but when they switched to nights, I think Rick and Sarah (who were previously not together) became the noon team. If Matt and Tamala did anchor together, it would have to have been between 2004/2005 and 2007

It seems like 6 has either stopped using or has gotten rid of its personal StormTracker radar site (which was based in Warrington, PA). They've stopped referencing their "Live Double Scan" radar and only ever use the NWS radar sites using the MAX Weather System (their radar was controlled and presented on air with Baron software). I'm wondering if this was a pandemic cost cutting casualty.

42 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

It seems like 6 has either stopped using or has gotten rid of its personal StormTracker radar site (which was based in Warrington, PA). They've stopped referencing their "Live Double Scan" radar and only ever use the NWS radar sites using the MAX Weather System (their radar was controlled and presented on air with Baron software). I'm wondering if this was a pandemic cost cutting casualty.

Cecily referred to the radar as "Storm Tracker 6 Double Scan Live" last night. I don't know how to tell the difference between the two radars but I still regularly hear them call it their own radar. The graphic says "Storm Tracker 6 LIVE" too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phillynewslover said:

Cecily referred to the radar as "Storm Tracker 6 Double Scan Live" last night. I don't know how to tell the difference between the two radars but I still regularly hear them call it their own radar. The graphic says "Storm Tracker 6 LIVE" too. 

The MAX Radar uses a dark green base map and multiple radar sweeps on screen. Their StormTracker 6 radar has a single sweep centered north of the city and you'll notice the base map is a much lighter shade of green.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Funny you mentioned it because I've been noticing that. None of the meteorologists have used that radar during severe weather coverage or during normal newscasts. It's been the NWS one. I'm guessing they either couldn't pay for it anymore or it got damaged. 

Edited by Mughunter

I don't meant to derail the conversation, but FightGuy42 on YouTube has uploaded an Action News broadcast from June 29, 1977. We get to see a young Jim Gardner, Jim O'Brien doing the weather, and Steve Levy doing the sports. Sadly, the video cuts off at the end so we can't hear MCTYW in all it's 1970's glory. But this is still a nice treat to find.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdamStabelli1 said:

I don't meant to derail the conversation, but FightGuy42 on YouTube has uploaded an Action News broadcast from June 29, 1977. We get to see a young Jim Gardner, Jim O'Brien doing the weather, and Steve Levy doing the sports. Sadly, the video cuts off at the end so we can't hear MCTYW in all it's 1970's glory. But this is still a nice treat to find.

That closing story was… something else! 😂

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I think most stations that have/had their own radars now use NWS radars ever since the dual-pol upgrades.

I've been seeing promos for an "Action News Update" on 6abc.com and their streaming apps. It airs at 11:30p. I have a few questions, though:

• Why are they doing this at 11:30p? The Olympics aren't even scheduled to end until midnight. 
  • Why are they doing this before the actual 11p is over? Normally they run the close at 11:32 or 11:33. 
  • Are they doing this on weekends, too? The Saturday 11p show ends at midnight, and the Sunday ends at 11:45. 
  • Did they do this in 2016 too?

5 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

I've been seeing promos for an "Action News Update" on 6abc.com and their streaming apps. It airs at 11:30p. I have a few questions, though:

• Why are they doing this at 11:30p? The Olympics aren't even scheduled to end until midnight. 
  • Why are they doing this before the actual 11p is over? Normally they run the close at 11:32 or 11:33. 
  • Are they doing this on weekends, too? The Saturday 11p show ends at midnight, and the Sunday ends at 11:45. 
  • Did they do this in 2016 too?

They've been doing these since at least 2008. Basically a cheap ploy to try and lure some WCAU viewers over during the games. 

• Like 1

Ducis Rogers is doing a "Sports Minute" segment during the 4:00. A countdown clock above the bug ticks down from 1:00 until the end. It's essentially just a tease for the 5:00 and 6:00 sportscasts, but still, I think this might be the first time the 4:00 has actually had a sports segment (assuming this is permanent). I think 29 does something like this. 

That was the short lived theme for Action News, within 3 or 4 days after numerous phone calls and complaints, the original 1972 theme and the close used since late 1975  was reinstated.

Channel 6s viewers are resistant to change, a year or so later they tried to use the close from 6abc this has been action news and have the reporters closings mention im ----- 6abc action news within days after viewer complaints, they  changed back to saying channel 6.

Imagine what the reaction would be if channel 6 abc decided to change their station logo used since 1967(at first to denote a color presentation), viewers would be livid.

6abc started doing the olympics midnight update possibly in 2006.

Edited by Vincent

On 7/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, phillynewslover said:

Both of Adam Joseph's kids tested positive for the Coronavirus. He has been off the air for the past few weeks, presumably because of this. Hopefully they get well soon. 

To update: Adam’s children are doing better, however Adam himself has now tested positive. Best wishes to him and his family. 

• Thanks 2