The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Ducis Rodgers' 6pm scrabble-board message is "goodbye basement studio", so chances are we'll be seeing a return to the studio for sportscasts in the near future. 

I'll miss the messages. They hearkened back to the "call from Accuweather" clouds formerly in the weathercasts that went out with Dave Roberts. 

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Ducis Rodgers' 6pm scrabble-board message is "goodbye basement studio", so chances are we'll be seeing a return to the studio for sportscasts in the near future. 

I'll miss the messages. They hearkened back to the "call from Accuweather" clouds formerly in the weathercasts that went out with Dave Roberts. 

It was getting harder for me to read the scrabble board anyway, as they shrunk the screen to put in those sports betting ads.  😜

Edited by SF1964
  • Like 1

I was checking the listings for this weekend and I noticed that World News Tonight is being pre-empted on Saturdays in favor of an hour-long 6:00PM newscast (at least this and next Saturday). This was listed on both TV Passport and On TV Tonight. I'll have to watch for myself to see if this is true.

Edited by ddaniels20

23 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

I was checking the listings for this weekend and I noticed that World News Tonight is being pre-empted on Saturdays in favor of an hour-long 6:00PM newscast (at least this and next Saturday). This was listed on both TV Passport and On TV Tonight. I'll have to watch for myself to see if this is true.

Their website shows the usual half-hour at 6pm for this Saturday, but an hour at 6pm on the 5th. Looks like they are the only O&O doing this if they actually are. 

I didn’t see the beginning, but Jaclyn Lee is co-anchoring with Gray Hall this morning. She can’t be filling in for Nydia, because she’s only on Sunday mornings (unless she’s adding Saturday mornings). Is this just for Memorial Day Weekend, or a permanent change? 

5 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

I didn’t see the beginning, but Jaclyn Lee is co-anchoring with Gray Hall this morning. She can’t be filling in for Nydia, because she’s only on Sunday mornings (unless she’s adding Saturday mornings). Is this just for Memorial Day Weekend, or a permanent change? 

The open was the old open. At the top of the hour Gray said, “Jaclyn Lee joins us”, and Jaclyn said, “so happy to join you this morning”. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scrabble-board I-team update- last night while in studio, to close out the sportscast at 6, Ducis showed another scrabble-board message (I believe regarding the Sixers). I'm glad it's sticking around, at least for now. It's a very quaint, channel 6-y little nugget I appreciate. 

Jaclyn Lee anchored again with Gray last Saturday morning. Wonder if she is permanent and if they are going to stick with two different co-anchors for Gray, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, or if one of them will move to evenings.

Wonder what’s going on with the 4pm. When Shirleen left, her replacement was named in 4 months. When Monica left, her replacement was named in 5 months. It’s now been 6.5 months since Jeanette left. 

Interesting fill-in tonight: Matt O'Donnell is in for Jim Gardner at 6. 

Anyway, it's been around 30 weeks since Jeannette left and there's still no official replacement. Sarah has subbed at least one time all of those weeks (or nearly all of them; I can't remember a week she was off every day). I wonder if they are just waiting for the new voiceovers to announce it? Currently CVD only does the opens and isn't used for anything else. I would hope they don't use the VA's that do the station promos and closing announcements; I don't think their voice would go well with MCTYW. 

4 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

Anyway, it's been around 30 weeks since Jeannette left and there's still no official replacement. Sarah has subbed at least one time all of those weeks (or nearly all of them; I can't remember a week she was off every day). I wonder if they are just waiting for the new voiceovers to announce it? Currently CVD only does the opens and isn't used for anything else. I would hope they don't use the VA's that do the station promos and closing announcements; I don't think their voice would go well with MCTYW. 

He's on again at 11, too.  Wonder who will be in for him in the morning?  I'm on summer break now as a teacher so I won't see the early edition for a few months 🙂

5 hours ago, phillynewslover said:

40 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

He's on again at 11, too.  Wonder who will be in for him in the morning?  I'm on summer break now as a teacher so I won't see the early edition for a few months 🙂

Nydia was on this morning. Interesting that Rick or Sharrie didn’t sub, or even Brian.

As for the 4pm, could it be possible that the spot is going to an outside person? Sarah has filled the spot every day she was on, with the exception of one week when Sharrie did the 4pm while Sarah was the feature anchor subbing for Alicia at 4pm/5pm. And Sharrie has done the majority of Fridays at 4pm. Unless they are still trying to figure out weekends, hence the holding pattern? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Yeah, LOL, at the end of the 6pm, Cecily said it was past his bedtime and he promised he would be awake for the 11. 

8 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

As for the 4pm, could it be possible that the spot is going to an outside person? Sarah has filled the spot every day she was on, with the exception of one week when Sharrie did the 4pm while Sarah was the feature anchor subbing for Alicia at 4pm/5pm. And Sharrie has done the majority of Fridays at 4pm. Unless they are still trying to figure out weekends, hence the holding pattern? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I don’t think it would make sense for it to go to an outside person (or really anyone except Sarah), considering how many times she has filled in. Then again, though, after Monica left, Sarah filled in at 5pm most of the time, but the spot went to Sharrie.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, Roadrunner said:

We can finally put the 4PM anchor issue to rest: WPVI Philadelphia Moves Sarah Bloomquist To 4 P.M. Anchor Team

Worth noting Sharrie did say she was in for Sarah today. I assume either Sarah will stop anchoring Sundays this weekend or she will continue to do so until a replacement is named. It makes sense that she is transitioned from Su-Th to M-F soon. Poor Brian won’t have to anchor Noon Fridays alone anymore. 

20 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Worth noting Sharrie did say she was in for Sarah today. I assume either Sarah will stop anchoring Sundays this weekend or she will continue to do so until a replacement is named. It makes sense that she is transitioned from Su-Th to M-F soon. Poor Brian won’t have to anchor Noon Fridays alone anymore. 

I know we've been talking plenty about Jaclyn and what her future promotions might be, but have we decided if she's a shoo in for the weekend evening slot? It seems unclear to me and Walter is solo tonight. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I know we've been talking plenty about Jaclyn and what her future promotions might be, but have we decided if she's a shoo in for the weekend evening slot? It seems unclear to me and Walter is solo tonight. 

Not a shoe in at all. But she did anchor with Gray two and three Saturdays ago. Wonder if it was an on-air tryout of some sort. She would definitely be my pick of those that have filled in. Worth noting, Saturdays have always been solo in morning and evening, while Sundays have the co-anchors. Here’s hoping they add them to Saturdays as those shows are just as long as Sundays.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, TVNewsLover said:

Not a shoe in at all. But she did anchor with Gray two and three Saturdays ago. Wonder if it was an on-air tryout of some sort. She would definitely be my pick of those that have filled in. Worth noting, Saturdays have always been solo in morning and evening, while Sundays have the co-anchors. Here’s hoping they add them to Saturdays as those shows are just as long as Sundays.

Back in the day, Scott Palmer and Anita Brikman did Saturday and Sunday mornings ... or were Saturdays just solo?  I seem to remember them both being there.  Then, when Lisa Thomas Laury left and Monica and Rick did BOTH 5am and 5pm, Scott & Anita would sometimes fill in in the morning for them.  I remember random times of Walter and Sarah then, Matt and Sarah, then Tamala was brought in from nowhere - I always thought Matt & Sarah should have gotten the mornings together.  I also remember during that time that Michelle McCormack and David Henry would fill in on weekend mornings.

On 6/20/2021 at 6:57 PM, TVNewsLover said:

No mention of Sarah being off tonight at the top of the 6pm newscast and her name was not mentioned in the closing. So she must officially be off of Sunday nights. 

Sarah is on tonight, although when they showed the overhead shot of the desk Walter was not sitting there so she was probably filling in.

UPDATE: Yes, she's just filling in. "Walter Perez is off"

Edited by phillynewslover

On 6/20/2021 at 6:57 PM, TVNewsLover said:

No mention of Sarah being off tonight at the top of the 6pm newscast and her name was not mentioned in the closing. So she must officially be off of Sunday nights. 

On 6/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, phillynewslover said:

Sarah is on tonight, although when they showed the overhead shot of the desk Walter was not sitting there so she was probably filling in.

UPDATE: Yes, she's just filling in. "Walter Perez is off"

Interesting that Walter was on the past two Saturdays but off both Sundays. This past Sunday (yesterday), Nydia filled in and said “Walter & Sarah are off”. Also interesting is Nydia’s social media post indicates she was on vacation and got called back last night to fill-in for Sarah, who was supposed to be on last night but was feeling under the weather. So the mystery of whether Sarah is still on Sundays continues.