The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

8 hours ago, chance said:

Here are my candidates for 4pm co-anchor, since we should be getting an announcement for the replacement soon.

Very likely

Sarah Bloomquist

Likely

Alicia Vitarelli

Erin O'Hearn

Possible

Maggie Kent

In terms of Melissa's replacement, I hope they bring in someone from outside; not only would I like to see who they would choose, I don't think any of the meteorologists should move to different slots. 

Based on Shirleen’s and Monica’s departures and announcement of their replacements, the announcement could come anywhere between this coming week and the end of April. While Sarah is the obvious choice as she has filled in the most, she was also the obvious choice to fill Monica’s position and that didn’t pan out. The difference with that is that Jeannette had plenty of fill-in experience at the anchor desk. I think Maggie is too new to the anchor desk, and Erin’s frequent comings and goings don’t bring the stability needed for that position. Both would make a great weekend evening co-anchor. Surprised they haven’t taken the opportunity to allow Jaclyn to fill-in and test her out. I agree Sarah is the likely choice (and hopefully switches to M-F schedule).

As to the weather, I think sliding David into Melissa’s spot on weekend evenings and letting Karen handle the weather in the mornings with Jessica doing traffic is the cost-cutting move, but I don’t think they want to make changes to the morning team. As to Chris staying on weekend mornings versus moving him to weekend evenings, it will depend on who the new hire is. 

Today Maggie filled the feature anchor role during the 4pm, which Alicia has been doing since Jeannette’s departure and Sarah’s slide over to the anchor desk, and in the close Sarah mentioned both Maggie and Alicia’s names. But Alicia was present on the 5pm in her feature anchor role.

Can’t quite figure out what 6’s plans are but do feel we are closer to finding out in the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Today Maggie filled the feature anchor role during the 4pm, which Alicia has been doing since Jeannette’s departure and Sarah’s slide over to the anchor desk, and in the close Sarah mentioned both Maggie and Alicia’s names. But Alicia was present on the 5pm in her feature anchor role.

Can’t quite figure out what 6’s plans are but do feel we are closer to finding out in the coming weeks. 

She also did the 4pm preview at noon yesterday and was the Big Talkers anchor (I think she was only on Big Talkers yesterday at about 4:42). Maggie has been featured a lot in the past few weeks. I doubt it, but I wonder if they are considering having Maggie on a specified newscast (even if it's not anchor)?  

58 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Alicia filled in at 4pm and 5pm today at the main anchor desk. She also doubled as the feature anchor. Apparently Sharrie will be on GMA Weekend as the Pop News Anchor this weekend. 

Yeah, she will be. I'm assuming she's already in New York City so they had Alicia in. 

3 hours ago, radioinactive said:

I wonder if Chris will be promoted to weekend evenings, and she will get weekend mornings, or will she directly replace Melissa on weekend evenings?

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I wonder if Chris will be promoted to weekend evenings, and she will get weekend mornings, or will she directly replace Melissa on weekend evenings?

That’s what I’m wondering too. I think I actually prefer Chris on weekend evenings now. 

On a different note: Maggie Kent is in for Gray Hall on Action News Saturday. 

Edited by chance

14 hours ago, chance said:

Also, I take from Brittany Boyer coming to the station this month that they'll probably record the new opens with a new announcer, since Charlie van Dyke only VO's the opens from a year or two ago. I wonder who will become the new voice of Action News...

Perhaps we will get a 4pm co-anchor announcement at the same time (and any other chair that needs to be filled as a result of that) so those opens can be recorded too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chance said:

Sarah is off, guess who's filling in at noon? None other than Maggie Kent. 

I wonder why she has been filling in so much? Not that I dislike her, but I don't understand why she's the only person they can have sub. 

Sarah was off all last week, and Brian anchored solo. It’s so weird how they feel he needs a co-anchor today but not last week.

They did this with Christie Illeto last time and she ended up being nothing more than a fill-in. 

5 hours ago, chance said:

Sarah is off, guess who's filling in at noon? None other than Maggie Kent. 

I wonder why she has been filling in so much? Not that I dislike her, but I don't understand why she's the only person they can have sub. 

Maggie is filling in at 4pm and 5pm at the anchor desk. Erin was filling the feature role at 4pm (and I’m assuming the 5pm too). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chance said:

Christie Ileto in for Brian at noon today. Wonder why Sarah didn't just handle it solo? 

Because they can.

I've been guilty of this in another thread, but we don't need updates on every single freaking fill-in on 6ABC. Let us know when they announce permanent assignments, but until then, there's no need to mention what happens when someone is off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, chance said:

Christie Ileto in for Brian at noon today. Wonder why Sarah didn't just handle it solo? 

Walter was off this weekend too. Maggie filled in Saturday, and Sarah soloed on Sunday.

They’ve been weird with fill-ins at noon. I think it’s been a while since Christie filled in as well.

14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Because they can.

I've been guilty of this in another thread, but we don't need updates on every single freaking fill-in on 6ABC. Let us know when they announce permanent assignments, but until then, there's no need to mention what happens when someone is off.

The reason it’s mentioned is because there is a vacancy. Geez, I didn’t realize it was such a nuisance for the 3-4 of us that actually come to the Philadelphia subforum. We obviously enjoy discussing the observations. If there is any city subforum that has too much over posting and needs cleaning, it’s Chicago. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, noggi said:

Thought you might enjoy this graphic from WPVI’s GM

B706F948-7801-41EF-BD0E-6239B04A3DA9.jpeg

It certainly hits the spot w/me, does Action News on 6ABC; even if I'm there only a few minutes (I see it on the 6ABC app), just those few minutes of Jim Gardner really hit the spot for me.