The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

16 hours ago, dombrown2222 said:

I would hope for a guy like Bill Ratner, but it also seems that the booming voices of yesterday are becoming a thing of the past, and it's sad to see. 

I don't have much to add other than that I agree with you and Ratner would be great but since he's not getting any younger either, I don't see him as a viable long-term partner if ABC does go ahead with their much-rumored graphics overhaul, which would impact their branding in more ways than one. One of the people I've found that I like has been Jeff Collins (most notably at KTTV so wouldn't work for KABC). As for going a different direction, after CBS employed a woman for its new "Weekend News" opens, could we finally see more female VOs gain prominence in local broadcasting? (e.g. high-profile artists as Randy Thomas and Cedering Fox)

Also slightly unrelated, so do excuse this if it's not allowed, but I'm definitely speculating ABC will redesign the station websites (and possibly the apps as well) once they do rollout whatever changes they're rumored to make. Regardless of what happens, ABC has had the current web design since 2015 and tech has changed a lot since then. Hopefully they can continue to embrace consumer-focused innovation (even having off-hour looping newscasts akin to Fox would help).

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, dombrown2222 said:

I'm really starting to wonder who will replace Charlie Van Dyke as Voiceover for the Action News intros... 6 is starting to use his voice less and less. 

The thing is...there is no way that some of these guys that do ad reads and other not news-related promos for them can be his successor. When Van Dyke replaced Jeff Kaye, he clearly was the right choice, and had already been doing promos for the station for a while. 

I know I'm just ranting here, but with the new guys (who's names I don't even know) doing all of these promos for WPVI, the opens are going to lack a little bit. 

KABC probably won't have this much of an issue because their opens are pretty short, but WABC right up the turnpike definitely will. 

I would hope for a guy like Bill Ratner, but it also seems that the booming voices of yesterday are becoming a thing of the past, and it's sad to see. 

Yeah. If Charlie Van Dyke doesn't do voiceovers for 6 anymore, what will they do for the 4pm and the weekend evenings? Jeannette Reyes and Melissa Magee both left for other stations, and now they use the standard opens. They would have to find a new person to do the VO's by the time they have replacements for the people that left.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Roadrunner said:

I don't have much to add other than that I agree with you and Ratner would be great but since he's not getting any younger either, I don't see him as a viable long-term partner if ABC does go ahead with their much-rumored graphics overhaul, which would impact their branding in more ways than one. One of the people I've found that I like has been Jeff Collins (most notably at KTTV so wouldn't work for KABC). As for going a different direction, after CBS employed a woman for its new "Weekend News" opens, could we finally see more female VOs gain prominence in local broadcasting? (e.g. high-profile artists as Randy Thomas and Cedering Fox)

Also slightly unrelated, so do excuse this if it's not allowed, but I'm definitely speculating ABC will redesign the station websites (and possibly the apps as well) once they do rollout whatever changes they're rumored to make. Regardless of what happens, ABC has had the current web design since 2015 and tech has changed a lot since then. Hopefully they can continue to embrace consumer-focused innovation (even having off-hour looping newscasts akin to Fox would help).

I feel like Collins would be a decent choice. I think I remember his voice on NBC Sports Philadelphia (formerly Comcast SportsNet). I don't know if 6 could also use Jim Cutler, even though he does VOs for WPHL. Then again, WPHL's news presence isn't that huge, and they do have a 10pm newscast agreement with WPVI. 

59 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Interesting ad. 4pm team preview? 

At this point, considering the unannounced changes to the Noon, 4, 5 and 10pm lineups last October and Jeanette Reyes' also-unannounced departure back in November, I wouldn't be surprised. It's just as well that this is the new 4pm team and that they want us to just go with it like it's nothing new.

Edited by Action Newsroom

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

B7905B89-DDDB-47E9-B7CE-379D5F25C4D6.thumb.jpeg.6b2f34c1d532c98e4c68210a0ee63217.jpeg

That's probably the 4pm team they're going with. Although I liked Jeannette, it wouldn't be hard to replace her since she had only been at the station for 4 years and anchored one newscast. Sarah can become the anchor, and Alicia retains her previous role at 4 as features anchor. 

I

9 minutes ago, chance said:

I just (like literally just now) heard a rejoin voiceover that I've never heard before. Here's how it went:

"Action News, Delaware Valley's leading news program, now continues."

Has anyone heard this before? 

I have not heard that before. Was it Charlie Van Dyke?

1 hour ago, chance said:

I just (like literally just now) heard a rejoin voiceover that I've never heard before. Here's how it went:

"Action News, Delaware Valley's leading news program, now continues."

Has anyone heard this before? 

Yes, I’ve heard it before. It’s their generic rejoin (there is also a generic open). They use it whenever there is a vacancy until they settle on a new team.

37 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Yes, I’ve heard it before. It’s their generic rejoin (there is also a generic open). They use it whenever there is a vacancy until they settle on a new team.

I’ve heard that one; this one is different. That one is just “Action News continues,” but this one is “Action News, Delaware Valley’s leading news program, now continues.” That’s not the rejoin they normally play, even when someone has left and a spot is open. 

1 hour ago, dombrown2222 said:

I

I have not heard that before. Was it Charlie Van Dyke?

Yes, it was Charlie Van Dyke. 

Edited by chance

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I found this a little odd today. Brian and Sarah were both on at noon (as was Alicia), yet Rick and Sharrie are both anchoring at 4pm with Alicia as feature anchor (same with 5pm). 

I noticed that too. Alicia did the 4pm preview on the noon show, so I thought that would have to mean that Brian and Sarah would be the 4pm anchors (since they wouldn't be able to do the preview while at the news desk). 

So it’s basically been Sarah at 4pm most of the time since Jeannette left. Sharrie has been the other fill-in at 4pm on days Sarah has been off (with the exception of a few days when Alicia was off, and Sarah was feature anchor at 4pm & 5pm with Sharrie in the main anchor chair). The only other person who has filled in is Erin O’Hearn, and on those days both Sharrie and Sarah were off. 

If they’re going in-house, it’s hard to think it’ll be anybody but Sarah. There are really no reporters able to step into that spot like Jeannette did. If they do go with her, the question is does she stay on Sundays too, with Fridays continuing as Brian solo at noon and Sharrie fill-in at 4pm, or do they finally make a move and promote one of the reporters to Sunday (and possibly Saturday) evening co-anchor, in which case my bets are on Jaclyn Lee, Erin O’Hearn, or Nydia Han. Of course, all of this means nothing if they bring someone in from outside. Based on previous timelines with vacancies, we may not know the answer until late March or late April. 

17 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

...or do they finally make a move and promote one of the reporters to Sunday (and possibly Saturday) evening co-anchor, in which case my bets are on Jaclyn Lee, Erin O’Hearn, or Nydia Han. Of course, all of this means nothing if they bring someone in from outside. 

Wasn't Jaclyn hired as a reporter AND anchor? She came in January and I haven't seen her anchor on any newscast since then. I think they should give Jaclyn Saturday and Sunday with Walter, and then Sarah changes to a normal Monday through Friday schedule, anchoring at noon and 4. There have been times where Sarah would almost certainly replace someone as anchor, and then didn't (like when Matt and Sarah on weekday mornings suddenly turned into Matt and Tamala, or when Sharrie replaced Monica). 

3 hours ago, chance said:

Jessica's doing traffic again. Maybe Chris Sowers can replace Melissa, Karen can replace Chris on weekend mornings, and Jessica can replace Karen doing traffic on weekday mornings? 

They wouldn’t move Karen off of the weekday morning show. Most likely someone new is in the process of being hired and that person will either replace Melissa or they will replace Chris (with Chris replacing Melissa). 

3 hours ago, chance said:

Jessica's doing traffic again. Maybe Chris Sowers can replace Melissa, Karen can replace Chris on weekend mornings, and Jessica can replace Karen doing traffic on weekday mornings? 

Doubt they’d move Karen (or David for that matter) to weekend mornings. If they were to shuffle their current lineup, Chris would likely stay put as Karen and David have been there longer. Although I enjoy both David and Karen, I feel like Karen’s personality is a better fit for mornings, so my move would be for David to replace Melissa. All that being said, I doubt they’d mess with the morning team as they have great chemistry. 

I agree with those who think Sarah should be the new permanent 4PM anchor as that would lead to the least amount of disruption. The weekend newscasts are the most disposable (sorry Walter) so I think placing someone like Jaclyn as his co would work out great and also get her to feel out the anchor position. I'm thinking the pandemic obviously partially derailed those plans but none of us knew Jeannette was going to leave either at the time, which has now opened the doors for more shifting.

I also think the morning team should definitely not be tampered with, unless the ratings are showing the morning show isn't cutting it anymore (which I'm unaware of). Channel 6's biggest asset is its longevity and familiarity so to move that team around would already make a gradually shrinking audience more grouchy in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chance said:

Walter Perez is filling in for Brian at noon today. He was also on Saturday and Sunday nights. I can't remember ever seeing him at noon (of course aside from when he anchored the Sunday news at noon).

I’ve seen Walter fill in one or two other times at noon, but I don’t recall him ever filling in at 4pm. I assume it’s because of the winter weather, otherwise Sarah would’ve soloed at noon and Rick would’ve filled in at 4pm. 

34 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’ve seen Walter fill in one or two other times at noon, but I don’t recall him ever filling in at 4pm. I assume it’s because of the winter weather, otherwise Sarah would’ve soloed at noon and Rick would’ve filled in at 4pm. 

Presumably, especially since they were doing live cut-ins every hour. 

3 minutes ago, ThunderJay27 said:

Looking at the 10pm show tonight, is it me, or does it look like the 2 anchors are back at regular spacing and not the 6ft spacing?

Nope, it's not just you.

And yes, they're back to the middle of the desk like normal.

I believe it's been like this since yesterday.

Edited by Action Newsroom