The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

1 hour ago, JoseRM303 said:

Jeannette Reyes will be leaving 6abc and head to DC and join FOX’s WTTG as weekday morning anchor. 

Wow. She was a really good anchor and reporter where she was, but morning anchor fits her much better. I'll miss her at WPVI, but I wish her a long, happy, successful tenure at WTTG.

17 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Wow. She was a really good anchor and reporter where she was, but morning anchor fits her much better. I'll miss her at WPVI, but I wish her a long, happy, successful tenure at WTTG.

This is like a homecoming because she originally left WJLA for WPVI, right? And her husband's also at WJLA right now so they'll be even closer together work-wise, and they'll kind of be like a DC "power couple" (cheesy lol). I'm still side-eyeing WTTG for all of their mess recently but Jeannette is a great hire if this is really happening.

Edit: I also recall FTVLive saying earlier they were going to hire someone to replace Angie Goff's temporary shift in the mornings (as she becomes the new main evening anchorwoman), so Jeannette is likely doing the latter half/7-10AM part of Good Day DC.

Possible replacements for Jeannette's 4PM shift - Sharrie/Alicia/Sarah?

Edited by Roadrunner

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

This is like a homecoming because she originally left WJLA for WPVI, right?

I dunno, is that so? Sounds wonderful.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Possible replacements for Jeannette's 4PM shift - Sharrie/Alicia/Sarah?

Sarah. No contest.

Sharrie has settled in as 5 & 10 at this point, and Alicia is better still as features reporter (although she's great as a fill-in). I could be wrong; don't quote me on this though.

If they don’t give the 4 PM to Sarah at this point I’d be very disappointed. Alicia could add feature reporter responsibilities again at 4 PM in addition to her 5 PM duties. Jaclyn was hired as an anchor/reporter so it’d be natural for her to get Sarah’s Sunday night spot and possibly add Saturday night to her responsibilities. I surely hope if Sarah gets it they don’t continue her Sunday-Thursday schedule.

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

This is like a homecoming because she originally left WJLA for WPVI, right? 

6 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

I dunno, is that so? Sounds wonderful.

Jeannette was the morning reporter & fill-in anchor for the two years she was there. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:12 PM, Roadrunner said:

Edit: I also recall FTVLive saying earlier they were going to hire someone to replace Angie Goff's temporary shift in the mornings (as she becomes the new main evening anchorwoman), so Jeannette is likely doing the latter half/7-10AM part of Good Day DC.

Follow-up. Fox 5 made their official announcement this AM. It is the latter. 6-11am. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Caught a commercial promoting a new digital-only hour of Action News mornings from 7-8.  The spot was mainly pushing their new smart TV device apps as a means of watching it but I’m guessing it’ll be available through their website as well. 

They launched it last month (or at least that's when I started seeing it). Matt & Tam were promoting it during the morning newscasts and emphasized the first half was hard news and the second half was soft/human interest news (IIRC). The changing lifestyle habits/re-ramped up pandemic focus/election likely led to this. I personally think the other ABC O&Os should do this too -- there's definitely a sizable audience who care more for the local stations over the national shows.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Caught a commercial promoting a new digital-only hour of Action News mornings from 7-8.  The spot was mainly pushing their new smart TV device apps as a means of watching it but I’m guessing it’ll be available through their website as well. 

Wonder if they shopped it to PHL 17 given the 10PM news success and they (unwisely) wanted to do their own thing instead.

15 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I thought today was supposed to be Jeannette’s last day, but I guess it was yesterday. Missed the open, but there was definitely no mention of her in the close. Sarah was anchoring at 4pm with Brian, and Erin was the feature anchor today.

The shortened “Action News, Delaware Valley’s leading news program” open was used. I found it odd how they didn’t mention Jeannette leaving (although Sharrie did post about it on Instagram).

5 hours ago, chance said:

The shortened “Action News, Delaware Valley’s leading news program” open was used. I found it odd how they didn’t mention Jeannette leaving (although Sharrie did post about it on Instagram).

Someone correct me but I really think they did not make her departure a big "to-do" or provided any substantial lead-up to her departure. If I remember correctly, Sarah had already been anchoring the 4 on...Monday? I just feel like if you were a casual viewer, you probably wouldn't have even known Jeannette was going to be leaving (unless it was openly acknowledged, which it seems we weren't aware of....which we should have if they really made it like a thing). Jeannette also didn't post anything about her final goodbyes and as you mentioned, Sharrie tweeted and IGed her goodbyes but it seems like no one else did (like Brian, Sarah, or Alicia), so maybe the chemistry on set was a little cooler than we were expecting. But ALL OF THIS to say that, regardless of whatever I've said, whatever she and they chose to say or not say about her leaving is ultimately none of my business lol.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Someone correct me but I really think they did not make her departure a big "to-do" or provided any substantial lead-up to her departure. If I remember correctly, Sarah had already been anchoring the 4 on...Monday? I just feel like if you were a casual viewer, you probably wouldn't have even known Jeannette was going to be leaving (unless it was openly acknowledged, which it seems we weren't aware of....which we should have if they really made it like a thing). Jeannette also didn't post anything about her final goodbyes and as you mentioned, Sharrie tweeted and IGed her goodbyes but it seems like no one else did (like Brian, Sarah, or Alicia), so maybe the chemistry on set was a little cooler than we were expecting. But ALL OF THIS to say that, regardless of whatever I've said, whatever she and they chose to say or not say about her leaving is ultimately none of my business lol.

Yeah, I agree. I only knew that she was leaving because she responded to someone on a livestream saying they were excited to see her in DC. I think that Sarah would probably replace her, but everyone thought she would replace Monica, so you never know. 

• 4 weeks later...

Action News was on at 6 this morning (instead of airing some Christmas special) to cover the storm. David was off, so Karen did the weather, which happens often enough. Instead of having Matt Pellman or Gina Gannon do the traffic segments, Jessica Boyington filled in during the newscast and the GMA cut-ins. Of course, it's Christmas, so lots of people will be off, but I haven't seen her do traffic since she left 10.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, CircleSeven said:

In the last few Christmases I remember, they wouldn't even do a Christmas morning broadcast. So I'm surprised they did one today.

Yeah. They were only on at 6am to cover the severe weather. Matt O'Donnell posted this on Twitter:

We're going on the air at 6am to bring you details of a nasty weather system that left thousands of people without power on Christmas morning. It's a special edition of Action News, you don't even need to unwrap it!

Edited by phillynewslover

They had been advertising the day prior that they would be on because of the severe weather. Was Matt solo?

Surprised Karen didn’t pull double duty. I wonder if they would consider messing with the morning team and having Jessica do traffic while keeping one of David/Karen for weather and having the other fill the position on weekend evenings vacated by Melissa. 

18 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

They had been advertising the day prior that they would be on because of the severe weather. Was Matt solo?

Surprised Karen didn’t pull double duty. I wonder if they would consider messing with the morning team and having Jessica do traffic while keeping one of David/Karen for weather and having the other fill the position on weekend evenings vacated by Melissa. 

Yeah, Matt was solo. 

Oddly enough they brought in Walter last night to co-anchor at 10pm with Sharrie, and Sharrie did the 11pm. Surprised they just didn’t have her fly solo at 10pm.

Also surprised that Jim Gardner, being that he’s Jewish, never anchors on Christmas. I know a lot of other stations usually have the Jewish anchors in on Christmas.

Edited by TVNewsLover

On 12/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, CircleSeven said:

In the last few Christmases I remember, they wouldn't even do a Christmas morning broadcast. So I'm surprised they did one today.

I am surprised about that too. They usually don't show news on Christmas Morning. For example, in 2017, they aired The Spirit of Christmas at 5AM and Small Town Big Deal Christmas Across America at 6AM. I am not sure what they aired at 4:30 AM and 11:00 PM because I didn't see them on Internet Archive.

6 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I am surprised about that too. They usually don't show news on Christmas Morning. For example, in 2017, they aired The Spirit of Christmas at 5AM and Small Town Big Deal Christmas Across America at 6AM. I am not sure what they aired at 4:30 AM and 11:00 PM because I didn't see them on Internet Archive.

Where are you able to search for these on Internet Archive? I can't find the collection.

1 hour ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Where are you able to search for these on Internet Archive? I can't find the collection.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A(WPVI) AND date%3A[2017-12-25 TO 2017-12-25]

Here's the link.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this but you have to go to the Advance Search, type in WPVI and choose a Month, Date and Year.

Edited by Jakob

I'm really starting to wonder who will replace Charlie Van Dyke as Voiceover for the Action News intros... 6 is starting to use his voice less and less. 

The thing is...there is no way that some of these guys that do ad reads and other not news-related promos for them can be his successor. When Van Dyke replaced Jeff Kaye, he clearly was the right choice, and had already been doing promos for the station for a while. 

I know I'm just ranting here, but with the new guys (who's names I don't even know) doing all of these promos for WPVI, the opens are going to lack a little bit. 

KABC probably won't have this much of an issue because their opens are pretty short, but WABC right up the turnpike definitely will. 

I would hope for a guy like Bill Ratner, but it also seems that the booming voices of yesterday are becoming a thing of the past, and it's sad to see. 

• Sad 2