The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

A bit of 2020 ratings trivia for the Philly area, courtesy of Broadcasting & Cable, which basically checked up on what the Philly stations have been doing recently.

I'm posting this in the "channel 6" thread because the station is, as it says, the "ratings beast," winning basically every key timeslot. 

image.png.ddb65e66b63a54c9672c71b2484cda82.png

What KYW beating WCAU...oh wow!

53 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

image.png.ddb65e66b63a54c9672c71b2484cda82.png

17 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

What KYW beating WCAU...oh wow!

8 minutes ago, ddaniels20 said:

Without getting too off-topic, that's a shocker IMO.

I have no shame in saying I've been watching and enjoying KYW a lot recently, but I must agree. Them second over WCAU and WTXF in household ratings at 11pm is quite an eyeopener (no pun intended).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

As announced at the end of the 6pm news, meteorologist Melissa Magee will make her last report at WPVI later at 11 tonight. It was revealed that she will return to her hometown of Los Angeles to be closer with her family.

Will she being doing the weather at a station in LA? 

58 minutes ago, NYPhillynews said:

Will she being doing the weather at a station in LA? 

Several meteorologists have left at all big 4 LA stations this year (e.g. Garth, Fritz, Kimi, Pablo) -- there is a possibility she could step into an empty spot if a station is looking to fill it and she's interested in working (namely KTTV, which has an open "chief" role).

Will be a tough spot to fill. They have Walter & Sara as anchors tonight (It's usually just Walter on weekend nights).

Update: And the news just ended, a nice sendoff, showed a montage of Melissa clips and everyone wished her the best and had "We'll miss you Melissa Magee!" in the credits under producer (Which they played the current bumper portion of the mctyw theme, instead of the proper theme)

Edited by DoubleDare

1 hour ago, DoubleDare said:

Will be a tough spot to fill. They have Walter & Sara as anchors tonight (It's usually just Walter on weekend nights).

It’s just Walter on Saturdays. Sarah co-anchors with him Sunday nights, and she usually has off Fridays (in which Jeanette usually subs for her at noon and Alicia subs at 4pm). For a while (mid-March until a few weeks ago) because of the pandemic Sarah was working from home and instead was working M-F and Walter was soloing during that period on Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Karen Rogers was on during the GMA cut-ins.

Maybe Chris got in for the 10 PM show, then stayed up until the morning shows, then went home?

Karen Rogers did the weather on the morning and noon news today (Sunday).  I'm pretty sure Chris Sowers was not on at all earlier today.  Chris is in doing the evening news.

Edited by SF1964

It honestly makes sense to rotate the four weekday weather people for the interim.

They can do the same thing they did this weekend next weekend but substitute David Murphy in place of Karen Rogers. There are no early evening newscasts on Saturday because of college football, so it’s easy for Chris to do Saturday morning and night, and then Sunday night.

And then the following weekend, they can have Adam and Cecily split the weekend again, and whoever does Saturday can get Monday off in addition to Sunday, And whoever does Sunday can get Friday off in addition to Saturday, that way they each still have two days off, with the working meteorologist just handling all the evening/night newscasts on Friday and Monday respectfully.

Edited by TVNewsLover

• 2 weeks later...

Cecily and Adam handled weekend weather duties this weekend. This time, Cecily handled Saturday evening, while Adam handled Sunday evening. I believe Adam had off on Friday, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Cecily has off on Monday.

Also, interestingly, Walter anchored on Saturday evening as usual, but Sarah was solo on Sunday.