The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Just wondering, has anyone seen Jaclyn Lee anchor yet? 

Nope. Just reporting from all I've seen since she debuted.

47 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I wonder if she was just hired as a fill-in anchor or if they intend her to be Walter’s co-anchor on weekends evenings as some of have speculated.

Maybe she is a fill-in and she'll get a broadcast sooner or later, or all this really is speculation. Can't be 100% sure either way.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, SF1964 said:

Just saw an ad [...] that there will be an Action News 50th anniversary TV special on Thursday, June 18 at 8PM.

My only gripe is that it isn't longer than an hour or was a docuseries of a sort. Other than that, I'm super excited to watch.

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

My only gripe is that it isn't longer than an hour or was a docuseries of a sort. Other than that, I'm super excited to watch.

I'd had given anything for even just an hour for WLS's 50th (as Eyewitness News, or as WLS), but we only got a 2-minute web-only hodgepodge of YouTube clips, in "celebration" of their 70th anniversary on the air. Such a disappointment, compared to the other O&O's.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, SF1964 said:

Just saw an ad during the newscast that there will be an Action News 50th anniversary TV special on Thursday, June 18 at 8PM.

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1270339959359262723?cxt=HHwWhsC-2czdk6EjAAAA

I still gotta finish reading that 50th anniversary book.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, SF1964 said:

Just saw an ad during the newscast that there will be an Action News 50th anniversary TV special on Thursday, June 18 at 8PM.

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1270339959359262723?cxt=HHwWhsC-2czdk6EjAAAA

Reminder that this special airs tonight.  According to my TV listings, it will be on again Saturday at 7PM and Sunday at 1PM and 12 midnight.

Watched the special and enjoyed it. Even so, as someone else mentioned, they could have done a two hour show and gone into more detail about the history. I thought it was interesting that Monica Malpass was barely mentioned though. With her quick departure a few months ago, it seems like they had a falling out but who knows. Rick mentioned that Monica is retired but that isn’t the case since we know she’s at Nasdaq.

Edited by G2000
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, G2000 said:

Watched the special and enjoyed it. Even so, as someone else mentioned, they could have done a two hour show and gone into more detail about the history. I thought it was interesting that Monica Malpass was barely mentioned though. With her quick departure a few months ago, it seems like they had a falling out but who knows. Rick mentioned that Monica is retired but that isn’t the case since we know she’s at Nasdaq.

It does make you wonder about Monica. Her departure was abrupt. It seems on the outside she was a team player and one of Jim’s primary subs. After Jim, she had to be one of if not the most tenured talent at the time she left. I’m curious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G2000 said:

2 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

It does make you wonder about Monica. Her departure was abrupt. It seems on the outside she was a team player and one of Jim’s primary subs. After Jim, she had to be one of if not the most tenured talent at the time she left. I’m curious. 

Monica `100% was forced out. I looked at her Instagram at the time she left and about a week before, 6abc must've had new talent photos taken cause she posted hers for fans to see. No reason to include someone in a photoshoot who is "retiring". And of course most longtime anchors/reporters have their retirement or leaving (and not going to a competitor) announced weeks in advance. Monica's was a btw, i'm retiring at the end of this newscast in about 15 minutes.

Obviously was not on good terms also, since she didn't appear to have been interviewed for this, or maybe she declined???? As for the reason, we might never know, but I have my suspicions it might be for the same reasons she was reportedly reprimanded for back in the early 2000's.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:17 AM, adamv2 said:

Obviously was not on good terms also, since she didn't appear to have been interviewed for this, or maybe she declined???? As for the reason, we might never know, but I have my suspicions it might be for the same reasons she was reportedly reprimanded for back in the early 2000's.

What was she reprimanded for in the early 2000's?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Amra said:

What was she reprimanded for in the early 2000's?

I can't find any source material now to back up what I remember reading back then, and I don't remember every exact detail. Considering that, i'm not sure I can post what I do remember as without any source it would just be unfounded hearsay/rumor and might violate site rules.

I can say however she was either suspended/fired for 3 weeks to a month in 2005, and was going thru an very ugly and public divorce at the time. I'll try searching for what I remember reading about again later when I have more time. I think it might've been something Dan Gross posted one time.

Edited by adamv2

4 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

This old Google Groups posting also has some (limited) insight, including the potential that the cheery 5pm chemistry on-air wasn't the same off-air https://groups.google.com/g/phl.media/c/NSUGsdXDBMQ

Saw that, but I don't think it was the case between them. With the benefit of hindsight, the blurb the poster is talking about was likely Larry Mendte and Alycia Lane. Those two were inappropriate with eachother in 2004 until Mendte's wife discovered it and he stopped. According to Mendte it was after he stopped his relationship with Alycia, that the two stopped getting along.

Malpass’ contract wasn't renewed. This should be obvious as there was no love fest and commercials leading up to her last broadcast as there normally are when our long time on air talent retire. Malpass was not be one off the nicest people either, her beef with Cecily Tynan, we got complaints of her being a pushy "do you know who I am" type diva in public etc. She may have been #1 in her timeslot, but a lot of folks at 6 don't miss working with her at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, Casey Buck said:

Not sure how many of you will care about this, but:

The current version of the Action News opening theme premiered sometime between September 5, 1996 and October 19, 1996, likely right after the infamous orchestral version of the theme was scrapped.

Thanks for the info! It feels like so long ago they scrapped the orchestral version of the theme now. 

On 10/8/2019 at 5:25 PM, SF1964 said:

WPVI is selling a book commemorating 50 years of Action News.

Info on book.

actionnewsbook.jpg

Now you can get an autographed copy of the book, signed by either Jim Gardner or Cecily Tynan for an additional $55, so $100 total.  The $55 will go to the Philadelphia Covid Fund.

https://www.doylestownbookshop.com/action-news-books