The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

27 minutes ago, Sshepard82 said:

Have they stopped airing encore presentations of Action News late night? It seems like they haven't been on this week. I won't be happy with the local abc affiliate if they have stopped airing as I can't always watch at 11PM.

Not sure when this happened. Earlier this month, the guide stated that the 11pm repeat at 1:07am after Nightline. But it now shows Jeopardy, before a Tamron Hall repeat.

Wondering if and when Sarah will officially be named 5pm co-anchor. For most of the time Monica’s been gone, Sarah has anchored Monday through Thursday at noon and 5pm, while maintaining her Fridays off and continuing working Sunday evenings. Christie Ileto has been the most frequent sub for her on Fridays at noon and also doing the 5pm.

I’d be shocked if anyone else gets the spot (as Sarah has been the fill-in 80% of the time). I hope they don’t continue her with this Sunday-Thursday schedule. Unless they’re going in a different direction, they need to give her the 5pm and make her schedule Monday-Friday. That way they can start testing co-anchors with Walter on weekend evenings!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Hmm 🤔 Sharrie was anchoring at 5pm today. Wonder where Sarah was (she was on at noon). C’mon 6abc, make your decision already!!

Same today with Sarah was reporting. I didn't like seeing that!

• 2 weeks later...

Brian’s anchoring at noon with Sarah today. I caught the 12:30 opening, and it was a generic opening. I wonder if it was because they have a lot of news to get to today, or if it’s because they’re testing new pairs. 

UPDATE: When they close their newscasts, they usually say the names of those that are there as well as those that are off. Mysteriously, Rick’s name was not mentioned at the closing of the noon newscast.

Edited by TVNewsLover

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Brian’s anchoring at noon with Sarah today. I caught the 12:30 opening, and it was a generic opening. I wonder if it was because they have a lot of news to get to today, or if it’s because they’re testing new pairs. 

UPDATE: When they close their newscasts, they usually say the names of those that are there as well as those that are off. Mysteriously, Rick’s name was not mentioned at the closing of the noon newscast.

They ran the generic open at the top of the show as well. Perhaps something's up.

3 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

They ran the generic open at the top of the show as well. Perhaps something's up.

Seems like something’s definitely up. Jeanette Reyes co-anchored at 4pm with Brian, and Sarah filled in for Alicia doing the features. The 4:30pm rejoin mentioned Sharrie in it, but she was not included in the close. But she gave the 5pm preview, and is now anchoring the 5pm with Rick. And Alicia was in studio at 5pm doing a story!!!

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Seems like something’s definitely up. Jeanette Reyes co-anchored at 4pm with Brian, and Sarah filled in for Alicia doing the features. The 4:30pm rejoin mentioned Sharrie in it, but she was not included in the close. But she gave the 5pm preview, and is now anchoring the 5pm with Rick. And Alicia was in studio at 5pm doing a story!!!

Perhaps Rick and Sharrie are the new 5PM paring, with Rick moving to 10PM and Brian to Noon?

28 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Perhaps Rick and Sharrie are the new 5PM paring, with Rick moving to 10PM and Brian to Noon?

Alicia was mentioned in the closing of the 5pm. If these are permanent pairings, it’s kind of sad to see Rick and Sarah broken up. Also, I feel like it’s a slap in the face to Sarah if she is not given the 4pm or 5pm as she well deserves it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Just finished watching the 6pm with a tease for the 10pm on WPHL. Rick is featured with Sharrie, Adam and Ducis.

Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps Brian wanted off the 10pm to be home with kids. I think Rick’s kid is older and getting ready for college, so the noon/10pm switch makes sense for them. I hope that they are then going to test pairings at 4pm, with Sarah being the frontrunner. I do like Jeanette and Maggie, and think they are better at the anchor desk than Christie, but one of them should be put on weekend evenings with Walter, while the other two serving as fill-ins. 

1 minute ago, TVNewsLover said:

Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps Brian wanted off the 10pm to be home with the kids. I think Rick’s kid is older and getting ready for college, so the noon/10pm switch makes sense [...].

Maybe but we don't know for sure yet. We'll see. All I can say is congrats to Rick for the upgrade from noon to 10, and congrats to Brian for becoming the afternoon anchor (I'll miss him at 10pm). I just wish the station announced these pairings beforehard to end the madness.

13 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I hope they test pairings at 4pm, with Sarah being the frontrunner. I do like Jeanette and Maggie, and think they are better at the anchor desk than Christie, but one ... should be put on weekend evenings with Walter, [&] the other two ... as fill-ins. 

I hope too. Also, agree on Jeanette or Maggie getting a slot someday. They are fantastic behind the desk. Christie too, but them more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Noon today had generic opens with Brian and Sarah anchoring. Jeanette gave the 4pm preview from the newsroom and Alicia did an in-studio story in the 12:30 half hour. The close had Alicia standing by David, and her name was mentioned in the close.

They must be going back to the drawing board to rethink the show formats. Traditionally for them, the noon news was predominately a hard news show and when they expanded it to an hour, they had the lighter stuff towards the back end of the second half hour. When the 4PM launched, it was faster paced with the news and features were dispersed through out. The 5PM has always been longer form hard news. 

With Alicia possibly joining the noon (perhaps only for the 2nd half hour) maybe they want the noon show to become like (or replace) the 4PM and have the 4PM become a harder news show to compete with 10 at 4. As of right now, 10's the only station in that timeslot doing a full hard news hour. 3's doing a complete fluff show (hell they sit on damn couch) and 6 is trying to do both and perhaps they want to get away from that.

• Like 4

These changes must be permanent. Sarah was mentioned in the 4pm Close even though Alicia was doing the feature stories today. They also referred to Jeanette as an anchor when they tossed to her for a story during the 5pm. 

Must say I’m not a fan of the changes and feel like they came out of nowhere (usually they test pairs on air).

Rick and Sharrie have little chemistry. There’s really no room on the 5pm show for soft feature stories that Alicia now does. Jeanette jumped from reporter to 4pm anchor. Christie was the main reporter subbing as an anchor and she got nothing (so far). Sarah was subbing at 5pm since May and all she get’s is the 4pm feature role, definitely a slap in the face. And they need to get Walter a full time co-anchor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Must say I’m not a fan of the changes and feel like they came out of nowhere (usually they test pairs on air).

I'm afraid I agree.

The only change-up that (could've) worked was upgrading Sarah to 5pm anchor - and nothing else. They have everything else right with everyone else in the same place (and have been for years). And a new co-anchor for Walter would've been their only other conundrum they would've sorted out immediately. If official (which we still haven't had a word from the station yet), it's gonna take a while to settle with this line-up.

• Like 1