The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

I think it's safe to say if WPVI is going with an in-house candidate for the 5pm co-anchor chair, it's Sarah's to lose. She's filled in 7 of the 10 days so far, with all three of the other days coming on days Sarah was off (two of them during the Memorial Day weekend, and 2 of the 3 days she was off Sharrie filled in). She obviously has chemistry with Rick and is already his Noon co-anchor.

This past weekend saw Jeanette Reyes filling in for Sarah next to Walter on Sunday evening. I'm sure they'll continue to test others, like Christie Illeto, next to Walter in the coming weekends.

I wonder how long they will wait before making anything official.

Edited by TVNewsLover

On 6/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, TVNewsLover said:

I think it's safe to say if WPVI is going with an in-house candidate for the 5pm co-anchor chair, it's Sarah's to lose. She's filled in 7 of the 10 days so far, with all three of the other days coming on days Sarah was off (two of them during the Memorial Day weekend, and 2 of the 3 days she was off Sharrie filled in). She obviously has chemistry with Rick and is already his Noon co-anchor.

This past weekend saw Jeanette Reyes filling in for Sarah next to Walter on Sunday evening. I'm sure they'll continue to test others, like Christie Illeto, next to Walter in the coming weekends.

I wonder how long they will wait before making anything official.

Christie Illeto is in tonight with Walter.

• 2 weeks later...

A wonderful tribute by Jamie Apody remembering Gary Papa's 10th death anniversary yesterday.
https://6abc.com/sports/10-years-since-i-said-goodbye-jamie-apody-remembers-gary-papa/5353144/

John Clark, along with Cecily, and Jim Gardner (I'm sure there's more but I follow them on Twitter) had Twitter posts too remembering Gary.

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1141377244260130824?s=20

Edited by emmi_18
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just short of two months, and still no word on Monica’s replacement. Sarah has been the most frequent fill-in, whenever she’s been on at noon she has also anchored at 5pm, except recently. 

Oddly, this week (also last Thursday July 4), Sarah was on at noon, but not at 5pm. Monday she filled in for Alicia at 4pm, but Sharrie was on at 5pm. Today (Tuesday) Sarah was out in the field reporting at 4pm, 5pm, and 6pm with Sharrie on again at 5pm. UPDATE: Sarah was on with Rick at 5pm Wednesday.

Makes me wonder if they are holding the spot for an outsider or if they are just testing different pairings. Jeanette seems to work well with Walter on weekends, as does Christie.

Edited by TVNewsLover
UPDATE

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight another first. Walter, who solo anchors all of the Saturday evening newscasts, is off and both Sarah Bloomquist and Christie Ileto are co-anchoring. Perhaps a sign of the future? Christie’s been subbing a lot lately. I could see her taking Sarah’s spot on Sunday evenings alongside Walter and adding Saturday evenings alongside Walter to her duties, finally bringing a co-anchor to Saturday evenings. That would allow Sarah to anchor M-F at noon and add the 5pm to her duties.

Oddly, during noon this week, Rick and Sarah were off Wednesday, and Matt and Alicia subbed. Thursday, Rick was off, and Alicia subbed alongside Sarah. Friday, Sarah was off, and Christie Ileto subbed alongside Rick. It’s odd as 95% of the time at noon when one co-anchor is off the other usually anchors solo. 

This week in fill-ins:

Last Sunday Evening: Alicia subbed for Walter alongside Sarah.

12NOON: Sarah was solo on Monday. Alicia filled in for Rick alongside Sarah at noon Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Jeanette Reyes and Christie Ileto co-anchored on Friday at noon.

5PM: Sarah sat alongside Rick at 5pm Monday through Thursday. Friday Christie Ileto co-anchored.

6PM/11PM: Rick filled in for Jim on Mon., Tues., Wed., Fri., but Thursday Sharrie and Brian split the duties.

Saturday evening: Nydia filled in for Walter.

Sunday morning/noon: Christie filled in for Nydia.

Sunday evening: Alicia (who was off from her 4pm feature anchor position in which Christie subbed for her) is filling in for Sarah alongside Walter.

12 minutes ago, Mughunter said:

I’ve been seeing advertisements for The Tamron Hall Show premiering at 10 a.m. on September 9th. I guess The Rachel Ray Show is off for the Philly market.

It's moving to the afternoon slot vacated by 'Millionaire' and company. Same thing for WABC and WTVD.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Mughunter said:

I’ve been seeing advertisements for The Tamron Hall Show premiering at 10 a.m. on September 9th. I guess The Rachel Ray Show is off for the Philly market.

Just as others indicated- 2PM Time slot for most ABC O&O's.. Show is renewed for Seasons 14 and 15 as per Deadline article released in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Another first today for Action News. Today (a weekday) the 6pm has two co-anchors anchoring, Rick and Sharrie, in for Jim. The circumstances are not normal as a breaking news situation is ongoing. The two anchored the 4pm and 5pm as well. Sarah had previewed the 5pm news around 4:35pm, but the breaking news began before 5pm, and it probably made more sense to keep Rick and Sharrie in the anchor chairs with Sarah providing updates from the newsroom instead of having Sarah and Sharrie swap spots at the top of the hour.

• 2 weeks later...

The 10PM news on PHL 17 just crashed into commercial - video wall wasn't working and they cut everything to black a few seconds after...

--They came back like nothing happened. 😬 Though the wall is from a different daypart and not moving. Was hoping they had a textured blue background on standby like WLS!

Edited by TSSZNews

So far this week at noon:

Monday: Jeanette Reyes & Nydia Han

Tuesday: Maggie Kent & Alicia Vitarelli

Wednesday: Gray Hall & Alicia Vitarelli

Thursday: Matt O’Donnell & Alicia Vitarelli

Friday: Jeanette Reyes & Alicia Vitarelli

Based on a few years ago when Shirleen left (date similar to Monica’s leaving), I expect WPVI to announce Monica’s replacement at 5pm in September, the week of September 16-21 if I had to guess. Odds on favorite is Sarah Bloomquist, whose been the primary fill-in for the vacant slot. The bigger question is who takes Sarah’s spot on weekend evenings: Christie Ileto, Jeanette Reyes, Maggie Kent,  Alicia Vitarelli (with someone else filling in for her for the feature reports at 4pm Fridays), or does Nydia Han get promoted with one of the other ladies taking Nydia’s spot on weekend mornings instead.

Edited by TVNewsLover

We all know they like to take their time when filling these slots, but hopefully we hear something soon. Sarah Bloomquist totally deserves the 5 pm slot and I would be shocked if she was not the replacement. 

Out of the last 68 5pm newscasts since the departure of Monica Malpass:

-Sarah Bloomquist has filled in 37 times

-Sharrie Williams 17 times

-Christie Ileto 9 times

-Alicia Vitarelli 5 times.

As far as the dates Sarah did not fill in and appeared in another capacity, there were only 5 days where she did not do the 5pm slot.

I would love to see Nydia Han move to the weekend evening slot with Walter and give the weekend morning slot to Jeanette Reyes or Maggie Kent. I like Christie Ileto but I feel she gets tongue tied too much when she's filling in on the desk.

Edited by Lamont
  • Like 1

Agreed that Sarah would be an excellent choice. She has an established rapport with Rick from noon, and is among the lead reporters for

major events like conventions and the Cosby verdict. 

I’m somewhat surprised that Nydia and Tamala Edwards haven’t subbed on the 5. Nydia’s reporting on the This Is America web series was really strong, and she frequently contributes to the 5 as the consumer anchor. Likewise, Tamala is an accomplished writer. I enjoy watching her and Matt in the morning - perhaps they don’t want to separate that team. 

If Sarah does succeed Monica, maybe they’d give thought to allowing Rick and Sarah an increased reporting role at 10/11, with Matt and Tamala adding the noon show. 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, Lamont said:

Sarah Bloomquist totally deserves the 5 pm slot and I would be shocked if she was not the replacement. 

Yes!  I've always considered her a very solid journalist - even in her days at WTVG.  ABC did a very good job utilizing WTVG as a place to groom top-tier talent.  (Bloomquist, Rob Powers, Jason Knowles, Jeff Blanzy, etc.)

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 1:08 PM, SJNewsFan said:

Agreed that Sarah would be an excellent choice. She has an established rapport with Rick from noon, and is among the lead reporters for

major events like conventions and the Cosby verdict. 

I’m somewhat surprised that Nydia and Tamala Edwards haven’t subbed on the 5. Nydia’s reporting on the This Is America web series was really strong, and she frequently contributes to the 5 as the consumer anchor. Likewise, Tamala is an accomplished writer. I enjoy watching her and Matt in the morning - perhaps they don’t want to separate that team. 

If Sarah does succeed Monica, maybe they’d give thought to allowing Rick and Sarah an increased reporting role at 10/11, with Matt and Tamala adding the noon show. 

Both Nydia and Tamala have fairly young kids (so does Sarah).  So maybe their early morning / weekend hours work well for them.  Sarah has at least a daughter, but she kept her noon / weekday evenight reporting duties even after having her, so maybe she's been able to make it work for her family-wise.

Sarah is great and really does deserve the 5 PM slot.  If I were her, I'd be pissed if one of the "newbies" got it over her (unless she didn't want it).

In a situation like this, do these people have to wait for their contracts to end, possibly, before taking on a new role?  Or would they just be amended.,

• 2 weeks later...