The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

I’m surprised there was such a short no compete. She left mid February sweeps and joins mid May sweeps - three months.  I thought the standard was six months or more.  Maybe other talent is longer but seeing as she was a traffic reporter they may not have cared.

I am slightly curious if and how much the move to CTC impacted her choice.  I know dayside employees need to take public transit but I’m not sure what morning employees do.  If they have to take public transit at such an hour I could see people looking for other options. 

Sad to see Monica go. Could’ve seen her and Rick taking over the 11pm once Jim retires. Wishing her the best in the next chapter of her career.

I’m thinking Sarah will add the 5pm to her responsibilities, and either Christie Ileto or Jeanette Reyes will get Sarah’s spot on the weekend evenings.

18 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Tin foil hat theory: She ends up at FOX 29 after while.

Lucy Noland just announced her departure at the end of June...just saying.

See that's what I'm thinking. She'll eventually pop up somewhere else, so this is probably not the last we've heard of Monica Malpass. 

Edited by tjt24

I'm speechless.

I wish Monica all the best wherever she goes next, and the happiest of times with her family.

But right now I will miss her on-air and everything that made her an icon in Philly TV news.

Again, I'm speechless.

Edited by Action Newsroom

2 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Rick's Noon co-anchor and Sunday evening co-anchor Sarah Bloomquist filling in at 5 tonight.

Yeah, they went with the no-name short open. They may test others in the chair, but I think Sarah is the best and most logical choice.

22 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Sad to see Monica go. Could’ve seen her and Rick taking over the 11pm once Jim retires. Wishing her the best in the next chapter of her career.

I’m thinking Sarah will add the 5pm to her responsibilities, and either Christie Ileto or Jeanette Reyes will get Sarah’s spot on the weekend evenings.

I don't see Jim retiring from Action News.  He will die doing the news.  Rick Williams will be waiting for some time.

21 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Tin foil hat theory: She ends up at FOX 29 after while.

Lucy Noland just announced her departure at the end of June...just saying.

Do you think Lucy will get the 5 pm anchor job at WPVI?

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Do you think Lucy will get the 5 pm anchor job at WPVI?

Nope. She always stays at one station in a market for just a few years and then leaves to go somewhere else and then after a few years, leaves to go somewhere else.

She never likes staying at one place. Five years in Philly, three in Los Angeles (KNBC), four in Houston (KHOU), few years in New York (WNYW), six years in Detroit (WJBK; the longest place she's ever been at IIRC) and a few in San Francisco (KGO).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Nope. She always stays at one station in a market for just a few years and then leaves to go somewhere else and then after a few years, leaves to go somewhere else.

She never likes staying at one place. Five years in Philly, three in Los Angeles (KNBC), four in Houston (KHOU), few years in New York (WNYW), six years in Detroit (WJBK; the longest place she's ever been at IIRC) and a few in San Francisco (KGO).

What about Sharon Reed? Philly is her hometown, and she once worked at NBC10. She has left CBS46. Could she be in-line for the 5 pm job or am I'm grasping at straws?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

What about Sharon Reed? Philly is her hometown, and she once worked at NBC10. She has left CBS46. Could she be in-line for the 5 pm job or am I'm grasping at straws?

I don’t see her being a good fit for WPVI. Doesn’t she have a bit of a reputation? I remember her having a bit of one at NBC10.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, brianpr3 said:

Besides for Sharon isn't her Credibility shot since she had a co anchor that reported on insane conspiracy theories?

I don't think it's fair to question Sharon's chances at moving to a higher-market station just because she so happened to share a studio with a certified conspiracy nut at one point in her career, something the producers should be blamed on. I'd rather go on her own merits.

• Like 1

Weekday weather crew in this weekend. Cecily did Saturday night, David Murphy did Sunday Morning, and Adam’s doing Sunday night. 

As for 5pm fill-ins:

Friday (5/24) Sharrie and Sarah were both off, so Rick soloed at noon, Christie filled in at 4, and Alicia filled in at 5.

Monday (5/27) Brian and Sharrie did all the evening broadcasts.

Thursday (5/23), Tuesday (5/28) and Wednesday (5/29) Sarah anchored with Rick at 5pm.

Sarah was off Thursday (5/30), so Rock soloed at noon and Sharrie filled in at 5pm.

Friday (5/31) Sarah soloed at noon, Rick and Sarah anchored at 4pm and 5pm. Rick will likely be doing the 10pm solo.

Saturday (6/1) Sarah subbed for Walter. Sunday (6/2) Jeanette Reyes subbed for Sarah alongside Walter.

Monday (6/3), Tuesday (6/4), and Wednesday (6/5) Sarah filled in at 5pm.

Edited by TVNewsLover

On 5/22/2019 at 5:56 PM, Flyer78 said:

Monica Malpass just announced she is leaving, Rick doing a retrospective...

I guess the succession plan in place for the past 15 years might not happen after all. Sad to see her go, but wishing her well in her new chapter. I only started watching Rick and Monica once they were in the 5PM, but I can imagine their pairing played a major role in shaping Philly TV news in the mornings.