The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alicia Vitarelli is always in the newsroom during the noon newscast with a preview of the 4pm. When Rick or Sarah are off the other usually anchors solo. M-W Rick was off and Sarah anchored solo. Today, Rick was off, but Alicia came out of the newsroom to co-anchor with Sarah. I often wonder what goes into these decisions.

Alicia could have other things during the Noon that keep her from always filling in for a full newscast during an absence. Doing VOs for features on the 4PM and packages for FYI Philly come to mind. That said, it does seem like she's the first off the bench if Rick or Sarah are off. Having one of the morning anchors stay on to fill in seems to be a last resort if Rick, Sarah and Alicia are all off.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm curious where they're going to go with this. Jeopardy! has used affiliates' personalities in the past to give clues about their city, but not about their station.

[MEDIA=twitter]1045034303086882821[/MEDIA]

Just a guess, but maybe it’s because WPVI has national recognition in some capacity? MCTYW and Jim Gardner are recognizable to people outside Philadelphia and they’ll probably be clues in that category.

In any case, this is new, and it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I remember an episode a few seasons ago that had WGN as a clue.

• Like 1

Just a guess, but maybe it’s because WPVI has national recognition in some capacity? MCTYW and Jim Gardner are recognizable to people outside Philadelphia and they’ll probably be clues in that category.

In any case, this is new, and it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I remember an episode a few seasons ago that had WGN as a clue.

I wouldn’t claim it’s notabe to non news viewers except for maybe being in How to Get Away with Murder or other shows in set Philadelphia.

People probably think MCTYW was “theirs” and not WPVI.

WGN at the time they probably had a clue was still a superstation and could have been broadcasting Jeopardy.

Follow-up..."Clues Across Philadelphia"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I’m going to guess What is Paper Mache?

I'm curious where they're going to go with this. Jeopardy! has used affiliates' personalities in the past to give clues about their city, but not about their station.

[MEDIA=twitter]1045034303086882821[/MEDIA]

Wow, they really oversold it. Unless the social media person was going for the old 6abc is Philly , Philly is 6abc (or was it Action News) branding (that was a brand at one point right)?o

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Gardner did a preview at 10:29 and 10:49 tonight for the 11pm news, but the 10:59 tease and actual news were handled/anchored by Monica Malpass. Do they prerecord previews after the 6pm news? Otherwise sounds like Jim might have had an emergency to tend to.

Jim Gardner did a preview at 10:29 and 10:49 tonight for the 11pm news, but the 10:59 tease and actual news were handled/anchored by Monica Malpass. Do they prerecord previews after the 6pm news? Otherwise sounds like Jim might have had an emergency to tend to.

Monica had done the 10PM news on PHL17. Jim came on around 11:05 or so and mentioned something about taking care of a bloody nose. He continued with the rest of the news after that.

• Like 2

Is the 10:59 tease live or recorded and what time does the WPHL show end? I heard they use different control rooms so the 11PM team can get ready during the 10pm.

• 4 weeks later...

So every Friday Melissa Magee “fills in” for David Murphy doing weather at noon, but today Cecily filled in at noon, and now Melissa Magee is filling in for her at 11pm.  I haven’t seen Cecily on the noon since she got promoted to evenings.

Speaking of the noon newscast on Fridays, why don’t they just change the opening to drop Sarah and David, keep Rick, and add Melissa? Ever since Sarah was added to Sunday evenings, Sarah has been off Fridays, and Melissa has filled in for David.

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

So every Friday Melissa Magee “fills in” for David Murphy doing weather at noon, but today Cecily filled in at noon, and now Melissa Magee is filling in for her at 11pm.  I haven’t seen Cecily on the noon since she got promoted to evenings.

Speaking of the noon newscast on Fridays, why don’t they just change the opening to drop Sarah and David, keep Rick, and add Melissa? Ever since Sarah was added to Sunday evenings, Sarah has been off Fridays, and Melissa has filled in for David.

She and Melissa probably worked out a deal that she’d work 12pm if Melissa would fill in at 11pm on Friday night. 

Another thing I noticed is that Sharrie Williams has been off all week except oddly she filled in for Monica @ 5pm on Thursday. Then was off again on Friday. 

Maybe a case of the anchors tryna use as much of their vacation time as possible as the year is almost finished 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 3:49 AM, HulkieD said:

Jim Gardner had him at the desk during the 6PM tonight.  They played a highlight reel and spoke about life and politics.

https://6abc.com/entertainment/vernon-odoms-legendary-career-at-action-news/4898264/

A fan on twitter posted a throwback picture of Jim Gardner, Vernon, Marc Howard, Jim O'Brien, and Jimmy Carter.

https://twitter.com/PerryJuDo4ever/status/1073312020076920833

• Like 1