The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 3 weeks later...
Still no sign of Saturday 5pm for next few Saturdays. Also, I think tonight may be the first time Jeanette Reyes has filled in at the anchor desk.

Jeannette's anchored weekday and weekend mornings. This is the first time I've seen her on an evening newscast.

• Like 2

Some interesting fill-ins. Walter was in Christmas night for Jim (odd since Jim is Jewish) along with Chris in at weather for Cecily. Today Jeanette was in for Matt in the morning and she and Tamela are both in for Rick and Sarah at noon.

WOW I don't think I've ever seen Chris do anything except weekend mornings! Always thought it was a shame, because I really like his forecasts.

Given how wpvi is so dominant I was wondering how in the days of analog broadcasting their audio feed on 87.75FM rated? Would it be rated at all?

As a television station they probably didn't subscribe to Arbitron (I know WITI promoted their 87.7 availability but they never showed up in a radio ratings rundown). I know WRME-LP in Chicago does to Nielsen Audio so it's possible, but until the 2000's it was just considered a radio dial quirk and not a viable business plan.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
So apparently Gray Hall was anchoring the Sunday noon show a few weeks ago and suffered a medical emergency while on air. He was rushed to the hospital and emergence surgery was performed to remove a cyst that had grown and was blocking blood flow. He's now recovering and hopes to return to the air soon.

It appears he was anchoring solo that day. I wonder who took over for the remainder of the show.

Gray Hall returned to 6ABC today.

[MEDIA=twitter]949603350236028928[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

A bit confused. Friday night on the 11pm news at the close Jim said make sure you join Gray Hall and Chris Sowers (with a pic of both of them) on Action News Saturday morning. But Alicia was on co-anchoring with Gray Saturday morning. I always thought Nydia was the weekend morning co-anchor. Does she only do Sundays? And is Saturday typically solo anchored?

• Like 3

A bit confused. Friday night on the 11pm at the close, Jim said *make sure you join Gray Hall and Chris Sowers [...] Saturday morning". But Alicia was co-anchoring. I always thought Nydia was the weekend morning co-anchor. Does she only do Sundays? And is Saturday typically solo anchored?

First: Yes, Nydia is a weekend co-anchor, only on Sundays.

Second: Yes, Gray usually anchors Saturday solo.

I can't answer for why Alicia was in studio when he returned-- I didn't watch; maybe to help settle him back into the grind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
If it's a Friday, yes. The other days of the week they'll have someone fill in.

Sorry but you’re wrong. I watch the noon news regularly. If either Sarah or Rick are off, the other person anchors solo, no matter the day. If they both are off, the fill-in is either Matt solo or Alicia solo. Only once recently has there been two fill-ins (Tamela and Jeanette).

The last and only time besides that they have had fill-ins in the Rick/Sarah era was when they initially were testing Sarah with Walter Sunday nights.

Sorry but you’re wrong. I watch the noon news regularly. If either Sarah or Rick are off, the other person anchors solo, no matter the day. If they both are off, the fill-in is either Matt solo or Alicia solo. Only once recently has there been two fill-ins (Tamela and Jeanette).

The last and only time besides that they have had fill-ins in the Rick/Sarah era was when they initially were testing Sarah with Walter Sunday nights.

You may have too much useless information. It’s great trivia though...

You may have too much useless information. It’s great trivia though...

Useless... maybe. It’s worthy of a mention though because in the past whenever something out of the norm has occurred it's usually been a preclude to some sort of a change or retirement. Besides, the Chicago posters do this all the time.

• Haha 1

Useless... maybe. It’s worthy of a mention though because in the past whenever something out of the norm has occurred it's usually been a preclude to some sort of a change or retirement. Besides, the Chicago posters do this all the time.

A little good natured ribbing... practically everybody here is full of useless information... nobody can cure cancer with it but it’s good enough for a hobby.

• Like 7

Lot of fill-ins today. David Murphy in for Chris Sowers this morning. Adam Joseph in for Melissa Magee tonight. Alicia Vitarelli in for Sarah Bloomquist (she filled in for her at noon during the week and even had off Friday like Sarah does). Interested to see what happens this week as Sarah is in Minnesota along with 4pm/10pm anchor team of Brian Taff and Sharrie Williams.

Walter, Alicia, Jeff and Melissa were on Saturday from 5:00p through to 6:30. Looks like there’s also a half hour of news at 7:00p after World News.

Does anyone know if this is the start of a permanent Saturday expansion, or something special ahead of the Big Game?

• Like 1

Walter, Alicia, Jeff and Melissa were on Saturday from 5:00p through to 6:30. Looks like there’s also a half hour of news at 7:00p after World News.

Does anyone know if this is the start of a permanent Saturday expansion, or something special ahead of the Big Game?

The intro to the 5/5:30 was the same as the Sunday intros and included Sarah. The 6 only had Walter’s name. Not sure if it’s permanent but it’s been rumored for a while. They definitely need a co-anchor, whether it’s Sarah or Alicia or someone else.