The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Rick & Monica can do 6 & 11, Brian & Sharrie can pick up the 5 and nothing else will change!

Or they could just blow all your minds ...and when you wake up you will have "2 Daddy's" or "2 Mommy's" anchoring.

Maybe even toss in a new "Gender Fluid" sports person.

How about some "blended" house pets?

• Like 4

My point is that new ownership of WPHL (be it Sinclair, Fox, or whoever) would likely spell the end of 6abc's production of it.

No it won't.

See: WPXI's 10PM News on WPGH.

Sinclair, for all its faults, doesn't want to mess with a good thing.

• Like 1

No it won't.

See: WPXI's 10PM News on WPGH.

Sinclair, for all its faults, doesn't want to mess with a good thing.

I'm gonna side with TSSZNews here. Unless Sinclair offloads the station to Fox for some reason, they're not going to cancel it. It does too well for both parties here.

And man on Nora Muchanic's retirement... all of the familiar faces of WPVI past are slowly going away, one by one...

• Like 1

And man on Nora Muchanic's retirement... all of the familiar faces of WPVI past are slowly going away, one by one..

Oh my.

Nora has been with Action News way more than the years I've been alive. As much as I'll miss her as their reporter (aka New Jersey Correspondent), I'm so proud of her as a local TV personality and as a human being, and I'm so happy for her as she's worked as hard and as long as anyone this long in the business and deserves her time to R&R (Retire and Rock-on).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Action News at Noon. The show started off with Sarah Bloomquist anchoring solo. I looked away for a few seconds and when I looked back Sarah was MIA and Alicia Vitarelli was anchoring. Wonder what happened and if all is okay.

Watching Action News at Noon. The show started off with Sarah Bloomquist anchoring solo. I looked away for a few seconds and when I looked back Sarah was MIA and Alicia Vitarelli was anchoring. Wonder what happened and if all is okay.

I noticed the change also, highly unusual and no mention of why the change. It happened about 12 minutes into newscast.

• Like 2

I noticed the change also, highly unusual and no mention of why the change. It happened about 12 minutes into newscast.

Alicia is in for Rick and Sarah again today. Hope all is okay with Sarah.

Poor Alicia pulling overtime as she was in for both Sharie and Monica too yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I remember @Weeters posting a link either in here or in the shoutbox. The link was from one of those old broadcast engineering magazines that were manually scanned. The magazine discussed the different types of construction of the studios and facilities. The magazine had pieces about WPVI and I believe WCAU. It also had stuff about WBAL and WMAR (where I learned that the dome on their building is a raydome)
  • Like 4

Nora Muchanic retired today. Anyone catch her final segment? I thought it was spot on and must admit I got a little verklempt.

This one, about the little kid reporter?

http://6abc.com/society/action-news-reporter-nora-muchanics-final-bow-with-kid-reporter/2593006/

They also showed a tribute video to Nora and Andy Doane, her photographer, who retired, too.

http://6abc.com/community-events/action-news-says-goodbye-to-its-nj-team/2593488/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently Gray Hall was anchoring the Sunday noon show a few weeks ago and suffered a medical emergency while on air. He was rushed to the hospital and emergence surgery was performed to remove a cyst that had grown and was blocking blood flow. He's now recovering and hopes to return to the air soon.

It appears he was anchoring solo that day. I wonder who took over for the remainder of the show.

So apparently Gray Hall was anchoring the Sunday noon show a few weeks ago and suffered a medical emergency while on air. He was rushed to the hospital and emergence surgery was performed to remove a cyst that had grown and was blocking blood flow. He's now recovering and hopes to return to the air soon.

It appears he was anchoring solo that day. I wonder who took over for the remainder of the show.

If there was nobody else around that was “on-air ready” except for the meteorologist, the weather person would have pulled double duty.

• Like 1

From what I read in the tv listings, Action News is launching a 5pm Saturday newscast this Saturday, which was expected after the college football season(technically not over - conference championship week counts as regular season games). Are they going to have Walter and Sarah co anchor(as they have for Sunday newscasts since Rob Jennings retired 4 years ago after 36 years as weekend anchor) or is Walter anchoring solo, or are they going to have some else co anchor with Walter?

• Like 6

From what I read in the tv listings, Action News is launching a 5pm Saturday newscast this Saturday, which was expected after the college football season(technically not over - conference championship week counts as regular season games). Are they going to have Walter and Sarah co anchor(as they have for Sunday newscasts since Rob Jennings retired 4 years ago after 36 years as weekend anchor) or is Walter anchoring solo, or are they going to have some else co anchor with Walter?

I don't need to report on this on my blog because this was expected. I said that once the college football season is over, WPVI will have 5pm news on Saturdays as well. Alas, 5pm weekend news has arrived in the Delaware Valley.

Is it necessary to have 5pm weekend news ? Isnt this overkill?

Also is Sarah co anchoring with Walter on the new Saturday news?

I have a feeling Walter will go at it solo. He does the 10pm solo on Saturdays. I guess they could theoretically have Nydia (who co-anchors weekend mornings) stick around too. But they should just put Sarah on full time on weekend evenings. So it's not seen as a demotion, she should be the main fill-in for Monica and Sharrie when one is off. For the time being, Monica can add the noon show to her co-anchor duties. If Fox does purchase WPHL, I believe that Action News at 10 on PHL17 is not for long, and would free up Sharrie, Brian, and Adam for noon as well.

Is it necessary to have 5pm weekend news ? Isnt this overkill?

WSVN and WPLG do it.

WOFL and WOGX do it.

Stations on the west coast do it.

Even WABC, WCVB and WMUR do it.

So... yeah, considering how much busier lives are all getting.

• Like 1

Not sure where you saw this but not only did they not debut a 5pm Saturday newscast this past Saturday, but they have other programming the next two Saturdays.