The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Nydia Han was on during the 4PM show promoting a "Troubleshooters" consumer special which will air at 8PM tonight. Granted, the networks are running mostly reruns, but I thought it was interesting that the show was airing during prime time.

• Like 1

Nydia Han was on during the 4PM show promoting a "Troubleshooters" consumer special which will air at 8PM tonight. Granted, the networks are running mostly reruns, but I thought it was interesting that the show was airing during prime time.

I also thought that was strange. I recorded it but have not watched yet.

• 3 weeks later...
WPVI has quietly debuted Action News at 5pm on Sundays, anchored by Walter and Sarah, and it is not a special edition as it is listed in the coming Sundays too.

Huh! I was wondering why they were actually on instead of network coverage... they actually started it with a mention of "extended coverage of Hurricane Irma" but they are clearly doing a normal newscast. Interesting.

• Like 1

WPVI has quietly debuted Action News at 5pm on Sundays, anchored by Walter and Sarah, and it is not a special edition as it is listed in the coming Sundays too.

It probably debuted on Saturdays too but will wait until the college football season is over for it to debut on Saturdays as well.

• Like 1

How odd. Is 1.5 hours of news on Sunday night really necessary? I suppose it's probably cheaper than syndicated shows.

Doesn't the network usually air sports things at that time?

• Like 1

How odd. Is 1.5 hours of news on Sunday night really necessary? I suppose it's probably cheaper than syndicated shows.

Doesn't the network usually air sports things at that time?

Besides College Football and the NBA, ABC don't carry alot of live sports events these days. Whenever sporting events roll after 5pm, the news would be pre-empted. I remember WABC started the new weekend 5pm after ABC cancelled ESPN Sports Saturday.

But I do think that these endless hours of news is unnecessary, especially when its hardly any viewership that early on the weekends.

That's interesting. I thought it was just special coverage for Hurricane Irma. Is it really necessary to have a 5pm broadcast on a Sunday? Didn't think that many people watched during the weekend

That's interesting. I thought it was just special coverage for Hurricane Irma. Is it really necessary to have a 5pm broadcast on a Sunday? Didn't think that many people watched during the weekend

WPLG does it, WSVN does it, WABC does it, most stations in the west coast do it. So... yeah.

• Like 2

Do you want that advertising money and viewers going to your own station with up-to-date content, or for those viewers to scoff as you run Byron Allen barter junket product that's free to run but makes you look no better than Logo running Golden Girls reruns as an alternative viewing option to the NFL?

Even in the Central Time Zone I'm seeing more and more stations looking for more current content in that dead zone; some stations re-run their local public affairs stuff for awake audiences rather than what the syndication industry insultingly calls their 'original weekend content'.

• Like 2

Do you want that advertising money and viewers going to your own station with up-to-date content, or for those viewers to scoff as you run Byron Allen barter junket product that's free to run but makes you look no better than Logo running Golden Girls reruns as an alternative viewing option to the NFL?

Even in the Central Time Zone I'm seeing more and more stations looking for more current content in that dead zone; some stations re-run their local public affairs stuff for awake audiences rather than what the syndication industry insultingly calls their 'original weekend content'.

Plus I should mention that WPVI's new 5pm weekend newscasts are replacing paid programming, which is another weekend programming option. Better to get that ad money flowing on the weekends.

• Like 2

Even I'd rather watch Golden Girls reruns than that (and this is from the guy originally named ActionNewsLove). But I think as long as they get more out of this, I'm cool with it.

You would prefer Golden Girls.

By the way, just a reminder in case you forgot (I haven't after you unceremoniously had a hissy fit with me and flipped out), you don't like it when your former username is revealed so it might be a good idea not to mention it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Disney (parent company of ABC, WABC & WPVI) and Optimum is having a carriage dispute and this time this includes all the Disney channels (Disney, Freeform and all of the ESPN channels).

http://www.cablefax.com/programming/disney-warns-optimum-customers-of-possible-channel-loss

Optimum's take: https://www.optimum.net/onyourside

Disney's take: http://instantaccesstv.com/faq/

So someone answer me this. Jim Gardner been the face of Action News for over four decades. If and when Gardner retires will the 6/11pm news have the traditional male/female anchor? Does Gardner like being a solo act vs having a female sitting next time him? Always wonder how the 6/11PM newscast hasn't been integrated with a co-anchor.

• Like 2

So someone answer me this. Jim Gardner been the face of Action News for over four decades. If and when Gardner retires will the 6/11pm news have the traditional male/female anchor? Does Gardner like being a solo act vs having a female sitting next time him? Always wonder how the 6/11PM newscast hasn't been integrated with a co-anchor.

Look at the ratings and you'll see why he's still solo at 6 and 11pm. Action News just blows out of the water.

I assume they will take the traditional male/female route. History seems to say so. When Rob Jennings retired from weekend evenings (where he also went solo) he was replaced by an anchor pair (only on Sundays though). At WABC, I don't remember if Bill Beutel added Diana at 6pm before his retirement or if she and Bill Ritter were his replacements.

I assume they will take the traditional male/female route. History seems to say so. When Rob Jennings retired from weekend evenings (where he also went solo) he was replaced by an anchor pair (only on Sundays though). At WABC, I don't remember if Bill Beutel added Diana at 6pm before his retirement or if she and Bill Ritter were his replacements.

Diana was added to the 6pm about a year before Ritter succeeded him, IIRC.

• Like 1

Just put in Rick and Monica. They win their hour too, are just as popular as Jim (if not up there) and the transition will be seamless.

But their reign doesn't last, do they (Especially in total viewers)?

Rick & Monica can do 6 & 11, Brian & Sharrie can pick up the 5 and nothing else will change!

Well I can see Rick and Monica remaining at 5 and adding 11 and Brian and Sharrie adding the 6.

That would make the most sense. With the future of the 10pm newscast uncertain, that would give each anchor team an even 90 minutes on-air.

• Like 1

That would make the most sense. With the future of the 10pm newscast uncertain, that would give each anchor team an even 90 minutes on-air.

I totally forgot about the 10 p.m. newscast. If that's the case then Rick & Monica does 5, 6 and 11 and Brian & Sharrie does the 4, 5:30 and 10.