The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Their two studios are the same size. Why would they go through the effort to move existing elements of the old set in the old studio into an empty studio across the hall? Would be a lot easier if they built the set in the empty studio.

For me, it makes sense that 6 made their temp set in the Inside Story studio, taking some of the elements from the old set with them. If I remember correctly, this new building that they have been in since 2009, was supposed to be more spacious. So if the Inside Story studio is where they can camp out for a little bit, why not? Plus, the framework of the outgoing set has been there from the start of their time in the new building back in 2009, with tweaks and refreshes since then.

I know they do Inside Story from the second studio. That setup is pretty basic, though.

Is it weird that I kind of like the temp set better than the outgoing set? I just hope we get a decent set. None of the Philly stations currently have great sets, and I hope that changes.

Agreed. KYW's set felt more like a refresh than a new set, and it's just bleh. The WTXF set that came out in August feels stale. If WCAU wasn't working with such a small space, their window-style studio could have been so much better. Keith Jones took a 360 shot of the set recently on his social media account (can't remember if it was FB or Instagram) and it's clear of the limited space that they are working with.

Since we're talking about the temp WPVI set, I guess I'll share a few things about their sets that I have loved over the years:

-Everything about the late 90s, early 2000s set, because of its simplicity and elegance.

-The glass etched Action News logo that they use to zoom out from going into and out of break.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
New graphics better be coming with it!

Unless the creative in the set mockup is just that--a mockup--it definitely looks like they're doubling down on the cylinder design they have now and evolving it.

From what few shots there are of the set, it looks like a mesh between KTRK and WFLD.

• Like 2

Yeah, the logo in the render absolutely looks like it's an evolution of the current stuff but it's *absolutely* not the same. The set so far looks great, I hope the graphics just do it justice.

And this should put to bed any rumors of ABC standardizing...

• Like 2

Looks like definite new branding around the Weather-/AccuWeather-/Storm-/LiveDoplerSixDoubleScan3DUltraVioletInfraRedActionSkyLiveCamFAALicensedDrone.... Center.

And I wonder if the Big Board is still a thing. Or is it now a Bigger Board? It often seemed like they tried to find a reason to "touch it"...

• Like 2

Obviously related to preparations for the launch...they have camera operators tonight.

Judging by the overhead bump shot, it looks like they dusted off their old HD cameras (with the big white box lenses) and I saw someone manually moving the shot. It's sort of weird to see that in local news these days...ggLuYGC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

• Like 2

Obviously related to preparations for the launch...they have camera operators tonight.

Judging by the overhead bump shot, it looks like they dusted off their old HD cameras (with the big white box lenses) and I saw someone manually moving the shot. It's sort of weird to see that in local news these days...

Those cameras have to be atleast 11 years old. What's the average life span?

Regarding the operators do you think the show could be done with one camera operator there? Where one moves to the needed camera for the zooms and occasional pan?

Those cameras have to be atleast 11 years old. What's the average life span?

Regarding the operators do you think the show could be done with one camera operator there? Where one moves to the needed camera for the zooms and occasional pan?

Can't speak for the age, though easily they could be 10-15 years old. You can pretty easily replace parts in a camera to make them last several decades.

Judging by the size of the temporary set-up, they probably only had 1 camera operator out there (I am guessing it's the same person who normally operates the robotics.)

• Like 1

Can't speak for the age, though easily they could be 10-15 years old. You can pretty easily replace parts in a camera to make them last several decades.

Judging by the size of the temporary set-up, they probably only had 1 camera operator out there (I am guessing it's the same person who normally operates the robotics.)

Your right about the camera operator - I thought there were atleast two. Looking more clearly it looks like there's one plus a floor manager standing between them.

I guesstimated the age based on the time they went HD. But I imagine replacing a component in a box camera (as Sony calls them even though ABC I think went with Ikegami) is a lot easier than in a portable handled style and the actual small box cameras WPVI uses now.

I imagine replacing a component in a box camera (as Sony calls them even though ABC I think went with Ikegami) is a lot easier than in a portable handled style and the actual small box cameras WPVI uses now.

A good broadcast engineer can fix a camera (and many other television components) no matter the size. They're constantly cracking open ENG cameras to repair/replace parts that got damaged in the field.

• Like 1

Split the new set and graphics talk to a new thread: https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/new-wpvi-set-and-graphics.16108/

PLEASE, folks. The General Threads are to keep the board from being cluttered with random "jim gardner sneezed tonight and a light was out" posts. A new set and graphics package are DEFINITELY, 100% deserving of at least one dedicated thread.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
So does WPVI occasionally do the whole weather balloon thing? Or was it more a promotional gimmick for "there goes that action news van" advertisement to say they went to space? [IMG]http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wpvi/images/cms/1520278_800x450.jpg[/IMG] I'm sure @Eat News will report that KBEX has one where if Dan Dan the Relapse Man is wet it's raining or pissed himself; if he's sweating profusely he's going through withdrawal or there's a heat wave; if he's swaying there's a strong gust of wind, he's still withdrawaling or on meth; if he's shivering it's cold or still going through withdrawal (it's a bitch); and if he's blue he overdosed.
  • Like 2

[quote name='rkolsen']So does WPVI occasionally do the whole weather balloon thing? Or was it more a promotional gimmick for "there goes that action news van" advertisement to say they went to space? [IMG]http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wpvi/images/cms/1520278_800x450.jpg[/IMG] I'm sure @Eat News will report that KBEX has one where if Dan Dan the Relapse Man is wet it's raining or pissed himself; if he's sweating profusely he's going through withdrawal or there's a heat wave; if he's swaying there's a strong gust of wind, he's still withdrawaling or on meth; if he's shivering it's cold or still going through withdrawal (it's a bitch); and if he's blue he overdosed.[/QUOTE] Dan Dan... Is MOVing closer to your world...RKO. "Move".... Get it? He can't find his lampshade...but he had his shot of Jagger. [SIZE=2](Yes...it's a vintage original 1970's PVI mic flag)[/SIZE] [attachment=2710:name]
  • Like 3

[quote name='rkolsen']So does WPVI occasionally do the whole weather balloon thing? Or was it more a promotional gimmick for "there goes that action news van" advertisement to say they went to space? [IMG]http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wpvi/images/cms/1520278_800x450.jpg[/IMG] I'm sure @Eat News will report that KBEX has one where if Dan Dan the Relapse Man is wet it's raining or pissed himself; if he's sweating profusely he's going through withdrawal or there's a heat wave; if he's swaying there's a strong gust of wind, he's still withdrawaling or on meth; if he's shivering it's cold or still going through withdrawal (it's a bitch); and if he's blue he overdosed.[/QUOTE] They did it once that I can remember in recent memory. They launched it sometime in the morning that day and I think I remember Karen Rogers going out to where it landed, live on the air during the morning show.

• 3 weeks later...
Erin O'Hearn's biography has been removed from 6's website. Sad to see her go - I enjoyed her reports. Anyone know if she's going to another station in the market?

[MEDIA=twitter]875490918576660481[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]877359237487353856[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...