The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

I watching the 4pm when they mentioned a special celebration of Jim Gardner's tenure as 6 & 11 anchor for tonight at 11. Shall be a must-watch.

Based on his station bio, May 11th was his 40th anniversary as primary anchor.

Looks like they ripped up the main area of the set including the video wall and the crystalline skyline. I guess after 8 years of the same set and graphics they figured it's finally time for something new.

Hope they find a way to work in the crystalline skyline again. It's a nice Action News signature.

Maybe they're replacing the video wall if they rest of the set is intact.

The skyline was part of the (taped) pieces for Jim, and for time to time it appears in other packages. Of course, it is possible these were recorded segments before work began.

They have to be. Just judging from this shot here, they've either walled off the rest of the studio or there's nothing there at all.

vlcsnap-2017-05-19-11h24m52s209.thumb.png.6903ab4837a821c8160fa86677c9831a.png

They have to be. Just judging from this shot here, they've either walled off the rest of the studio or there's nothing there at all.

That's always looked like that, hasn't it?

I commented on a post of Cecily Tynan's on Facebook what was going on with everyone sitting at the "kids table" and she said "Set construction"

That's always looked like that, hasn't it?

I commented on a post of Cecily Tynan's on Facebook what was going on with everyone sitting at the "kids table" and she said "Set construction"

Nah you could see the video wall from that shot when it was still there.

That does seem to be the ABC way, as of late. KABC, WLS, and KTRK built fairly elaborate recreations of their outgoing sets while the new ones were built. In all 3 cases, they were on these setups for a few months, so I wouldn't expect anything til like September.

As indicated by cg41386, Perez said this is temporary, and they are building a new home "across the hall... will take about a month, and we can't wait to show it to you, it's going to be pretty neat."

ETA- "about" a month could make this early July, without a doubt.

As indicated by cg41386, Perez said this is temporary, and they are building a new home "across the hall... will take about a month, and we can't wait to show it to you, it's going to be pretty neat."

ETA- "about" a month could make this early July, without a doubt.

Totally missed that line. Whoops.

Their two studios are the same size. Why would they go through the effort to move existing elements of the old set in the old studio into an empty studio across the hall? Would be a lot easier if they built the set in the empty studio.

Maybe to allow them to continue their shows that originate from the second studio? Besides, this way we know they are doing something, and even caused them to admit it.

I didn't know there were any still. I knew there were some during the Live Well era.

I figure if they are moving a temp set in the studio it must not be used that much and able to get a fresh build.

I didn't know there were any still. I knew there were some during the Live Well era.

I know they do Inside Story from the second studio. That setup is pretty basic, though.

Is it weird that I kind of like the temp set better than the outgoing set? I just hope we get a decent set. None of the Philly stations currently have great sets, and I hope that changes.

Inside Story was one I knew was done there, but yeah - basic. I think they have a few more... If anything, with WPVI, it might as well be tradition as the reason; even though the building is not yet a decade old...

We can begin all sorts of speculation, though...

--Will there be a new kids table for the 4 PM and weekday 10 PM news?

--Will there be a temp kids table for those newscasts?

--Will the Big Board remain, be upgraded, or sent to the same farm upstate with Mr. Six?

--(Chromakey has returned in the temp space), and;

--Big Board was absent Saturday night, but who knows if that will also get moved

--And wait, was the Crystal City sent upstate too?

--Several new skyline towers have been built/under construction/planned, but they added to it before

--Of course, the tallest building is the new Comcast tower, which owns their rival... awkward...

--West Philly skyline adds a bunch though, three new towers to Cira South alone

--Is it safe to assume the current video wall (background) will not be a part of the new set?

--Will it become part of their public affairs programming sets?

--New graphics?

--Weather has been updated a few times over the years since the current overall look debuted, and seemed to match the flat look of other ABC O&O -- at least header elements

--Other parts of the maps seem dated, display wise, compared to 3/10

--At the very least can they make the time & temp font the same?

--Then again, when has 6 ever match the other ABC O&Os?

--Will the (IMO) down-market-looking Action News Sports Center be replaced? (it made an appearance at least during the 'PHL 10 PM tonight (5/20))

--Will Action News Blue still be the overwhelming primary color? (That was my vote for the new Crayola color, but no one asked me)

Also, isn't it a bit odd they decided to do this in the middle of a sweeps month? I know it is 'PVI -- they do what they want when they want... I was sort-of expecting something new during the NFL draft. Honestly, while I agree with HulkieD that no local set is great/trendsetting* I actually thought this one aged fairly well -- well, at least in the Action News Universe.

*Trendsetting: If memory serves, but I never personally validated, the Big Board/Perceptive Pixel was a fist among local affiliates... So here is yet another question... what would be the new toy to add first (even if only this market)...

• Like 2

Was just coming in to post that Nydia Han said basically the same thing, that they are moving to a new set "across the hall".

I don't think they're using a recreation of the old set. I think it's the old set in a temporary location that they spent the past week. But it was fairly elaborate to even move the video wall as well. (which, IMO, is still woefully under utilized).

I can't imagine the skyline will go away, it's been a part of the set for what, 15 years now?

We can all only hope that break graphics are coming. Ones that matched the weather graphics would do well. They still have that "Action News" look while being different enough and more modern.

I still enjoy most of the graphics, but the L3's and especially the "headline" L3's are so, so outdated. And over used.

• Like 5

I'm slightly confused are they in a "temporary set" in their previous studio or in the other studio?

They move the desk and the video wall from the old set, into a different studio (across the hall?) as a temp spot. While their main studio where the old set was is being gutted for the new set.

This is almost a similar practice that WLS & KABC did as well. WLS moved its old 2006 set to a different studio, but they had to first use a smaller replica of their old set (in another studio, that desk was small as hell) until the move of their "actual" old set was completed.

Before KABC moved portions of its 2006 set to a temp spot, they used the station's newsroom (only for one morning).

And I think (non O&O) WSB did it with their old set as well.

• Like 1