The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For at least 20 years, they have ended the 6:30 AM news hit with the full weather forecast ending at 6:40. This week they started to end that segment with an extended traffic update with Karen and a brief weather update before going to break. Kind of stupid, I wonder what the reason is?

• Like 1

For at least 20 years, they have ended the 6:30 AM news hit with the full weather forecast ending at 6:40. This week they started to end that segment with an extended traffic update with Karen and a brief weather update before going to break. Kind of stupid, I wonder what the reason is?

Sunny and 55 is sort of self explanatory...

I imagine the weather would be longer in a more inclement situation. Somebody figured out the traffic is the bigger deal I think. If they don't give the weather hit extra time on a nasty morning then that would be stupid...

• Like 1

Because it's not 1966. Somebody has probably figured out that everybody has a weather app on their phone and that people check it as part of a morning routine. A full three minute weather hit when people need to be moving toward the door isn't as relevant or useful as it used to be. Traffic, on the other hand is more fluid and isn't likely to be the same information people saw 10 or 45 minutes earlier. TV can't show every traffic problem everywhere, but saying there's a 30 minute back-up on the Schuykill, or construction on the turnpike is probably more useful information at getting-ready-to-go time in the here and now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't mind Alicia Vitarelli in her feature anchor role, or even as a sub on the 4pm, but why must they have her sub at 5pm too? Sharrie and Monica were both off Thursday and Friday, couldn't they have had Sarah sub at 5pm instead of Alicia? I know Sarah's a great reporter and all and is usually out in the field during the evening, but it's not a big deal for 6 to take her out of the field for a day or two. Also, she's been "off" on Fridays at noon for three and a half years now. Surprised they don't have someone fill in for her or stop saying she's off altogether.

Because it's not 1966. Somebody has probably figured out that everybody has a weather app on their phone and that people check it as part of a morning routine. A full three minute weather hit when people need to be moving toward the door isn't as relevant or useful as it used to be. Traffic, on the other hand is more fluid and isn't likely to be the same information people saw 10 or 45 minutes earlier. TV can't show every traffic problem everywhere, but saying there's a 30 minute back-up on the Schuykill, or construction on the turnpike is probably more useful information at getting-ready-to-go time in the here and now.

It's back at the regular time now!

I don't mind Alicia Vitarelli in her feature anchor role, or even as a sub on the 4pm, but why must they have her sub at 5pm too? Sharrie and Monica were both off Thursday and Friday, couldn't they have had Sarah sub at 5pm instead of Alicia? I know Sarah's a great reporter and all and is usually out in the field during the evening, but it's not a big deal for 6 to take her out of the field for a day or two. Also, she's been "off" on Fridays at noon for three and a half years now. Surprised they don't have someone fill in for her or stop saying she's off altogether.

LOL she's "off" because she works Sundays with Walter Perez. I still don't understand that - I mean, they are great together, but why do they need 2 people only on Sundays?

LOL she's "off" because she works Sundays with Walter Perez. I still don't understand that - I mean, they are great together, but why do they need 2 people only on Sundays?

Saturday is the lowest viewed day of the week. Sunday is the highest. If you had to choose one to have a full complement on duty which would you choose?

• Like 6

Really, Sunday night is the highest viewed news of the week?

Yes. Believe it or not... Sunday is in fact the biggest night.

He's right! Sunday, is even the Networks highest night of programming as well too! They had a list out several yrs ago on what day of the week get the highest ranking of network programming. Sunday wins hands down

He's right! Sunday, is even the Networks highest night of programming as well too! They had a list out several yrs ago on what day of the week get the highest ranking of network programming. Sunday wins hands down

Yes traditionally it's the highest for the network (primetime) part of the programming on Sundays.

However there has always been serious drop-off (sleepers) in the 10pm to 11pm hour, and not all stations in a market see any jump on Sundays.

In the early 1990's many FOX news startups were encouraged to run Sun-Thur main anchor placements, but the participating affils really didn't see noticeable or consistent spikes despite FOX doing well on Sundays with Ally Mcbeal and X-Files.

It really just depends on the market.

In the early 1990's many FOX news startups were encouraged to run Sun-Thur main anchor placements, but the participating affils really didn't see noticeable or consistent spikes despite FOX doing well on Sundays with Ally Mcbeal and X-Files.

and that many included fox 29 with Rich Noonan & I think Tracey Matisak. Was easier for most fox stations since they only had the 10:00PM news. Ch6 would have more to lose havning Jim Gardner off every Friday evening broadcast, just so he would be there for the 11:00 news on Sunday.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I just noticed that the 6pm team was at the 'PHL 17 desk and as they were going off air, you saw that off to the left where their desk would be. Are they getting a new set or maybe some upgrades?

Looks like they ripped up the main area of the set including the video wall and the crystalline skyline. I guess after 8 years of the same set and graphics they figured it's finally time for something new.

vlcsnap-2017-05-15-19h40m37s105.png.93813ed747fed0d009a3b92327c70997.png

• Like 1

I just noticed that the 6pm team was at the 'PHL 17 desk and as they were going off air, you saw that off to the left where their desk would be. Are they getting a new set or maybe some upgrades?

I was just about to post here for the same reason! I first noticed it on Sunday morning. It was weird to see Jim sitting at the "small" desk.

I'm curious what they're doing. The video wall is only a few years old. We can only hope new graphics are coming too!!

Ally McBeal was always Mondays/9pm, but I'm sure that helped build Fox's Monday as one of their stronger weeknights.

Looks like they ripped up the main area of the set including the video wall and the crystalline skyline. I guess after 8 years of the same set and graphics they figured it's finally time for something new.

Didn't know they moved to static camera positions. I'm watching a tour and they mentioned a JITA cam (assume they mean jib in the air) that does the overhead studio shots. So does that position move?

• Like 4