The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

The new weather graphics have a "retro" yet fresh look to them. I don't think "retro" is the best word, but at first I thought they were a step backwards, especially the italic caps on the yellow background with the plain-ish font, but I like what they are doing with the 2nd line of the title in radar loops, etc. The new 7-day forecast looks really clean. I like that they highlight the weekends in the same yellow color, and they also appear to be highlighting "big events" in red, with Friday & Saturday having a red highlight.

I would be pleased if new L3's mimicked the weather ... "upper thirds" ... if that's a phrase?

I would be pleased if new L3's mimicked the weather ... "upper thirds" ... if that's a phrase?

I've used the term. Run with it. As for the graphics, and whether or not they're signaling something new, I'm a little surprised they're not using Gotham, as that's becoming the go-to for ABC, showing up on KABC, KTRK, and the network.

I've used the term. Run with it. As for the graphics, and whether or not they're signaling something new, I'm a little surprised they're not using Gotham, as that's becoming the go-to for ABC, showing up on KABC, KTRK, and the network.

But they've never really done anything else the "others" have done IMO. They have basically used the same font on-air for several decades, just changing it a bit here and there when necessary.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Adam & Cecily have been doing live behind the scenes videos on Facebook. Just watched one now. It was really cool! Cecily did it from her page but Chris Sowers (who is working during the week????) took over for a bit and actually showed Cecily and Adam on the video feed while they were live on the air! Neat concept!

• Like 1

Adam & Cecily have been doing live behind the scenes videos on Facebook. Just watched one now. It was really cool! Cecily did it from her page but Chris Sowers (who is working during the week????) took over for a bit and actually showed Cecily and Adam on the video feed while they were live on the air! Neat concept!

He's also the weather producer so he's probably driving graphics behind the scenes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Whoa! Monica Malpass is anchoring at noon today, as Rick and Sarah are off. Matt, Alicia, Tamela, and Nydia must've been unavailable.

...and Brian and Sharrie and Walter...

Pretty much everybody but Jim.

Rick is actually filling in for Jim Gardner who's on vacation.

That was the second half of last week. Jim was on yesterday. Rick was off yesterday. And Monica said Rick and Sarah are off. They usually say "Rick will be along later" if he's just off for the noon newscast.

• 1 month later...

Is this animation on the Big Board new? It looks a little like something that would come out of the current graphics, but I don't ever recall seeing that flatter circle theme with little boxes.

bandicam%202016-05-06%2015-35-55-513_zpssyc4vlsu.png

• Like 3

Is this animation on the Big Board new? It looks a little like something that would come out of the current graphics, but I don't ever recall seeing that flatter circle theme with little boxes.

bandicam%202016-05-06%2015-35-55-513_zpssyc4vlsu.png

The big board animation has been there since last year. I don't think it's a sign of anything though.

• Like 1

StormTracker6 and The Traffic Maps both have new looks. Maybe a hint of new graphics coming?

I hope so; I'm starting to dislike the current set. And despise the L3s.

I just hope this next package will be better. We don't want another disaster with an ABC O&Os new graphics after what happened with WABC. I'm still recovering.

• Like 2