The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Brian Taff just announced that Sharrie Williams will be his co-anchor at 4pm and 10pm.

[MEDIA=twitter]643515560576352256[/MEDIA]

Great! Took them long enough.

Well, that's the most logical choice. What took so long I wonder?

I know, right? I mean...

Sharrie is a really good anchor/reporter and seems great enough for the job. Congrats to her for the promotion.

Guest Newshound

I have to weigh in., just As an outsider, which by now, you guys know that I am. sorry for the problems. I just think shari is the wrong choice. I really don't think she's that good. She has a flat afect and gets a lot of things mixed up when she anchors. Sarah Bloomquist would have been my choice. She's been there since 2002, and is under utilized.

Guest Newshound

This is just my guess, but, maybe the 3rd anchor position for the 5pm was created for Sharrie, just to test her out, and then once a bigger position opened up, like Shirleen's anchor spot for example, then Sharri would move to that?

I have to weigh in., just As an outsider, which by now, you guys know that I am. sorry for the problems. I just think shari is the wrong choice. I really don't think she's that good. She has a flat afect and gets a lot of things mixed up when she anchors. Sarah Bloomquist would have been my choice. She's been there since 2002, and is under utilized.

I agree. I'm not really that impressed by Sharrie as an anchor, but she is a good reporter.

Sarah Bloomquist is good at both but she is a GREAT reporter. While it would be nice to see her anchor more than 12 pm, I'd really miss her reports and I think it would be a loss to the newscasts if she wasn't reporting.

Guest Newshound

I feel like if Sarah didn't want to anchor the 4 or 10 pm, they could have given the spot to either Erin O'hern, or Annie Mccormick. They are both great reporters and I'm sure they would do well at the anchor desk.

Whatever happened to Drone-6? They hyped it up in May and I don't think I've seen it since.

I think that's because of all the regulations relating to commercial use. They can't use the drone near/over people and buildings; it has to be operated by a licensed pilot; and Weeters said that a flight plan had to be filed. Those restrictions make it really hard to use it for newsgathering. The only thing I thing drones would be useful for would be some promo shoots.

I believe when WABC demo'd their drone they did it over an empty beach. WCAU was at the beach as well and there was a handful of people on there. They were near an pier that had an amusement park on it and it made for some more interesting shots as well.

WLS toured a new hiking trail for their demo, and brought it out again a month or so ago to tour a massive underground reservoir. I think the point being made is that, in addition to tight regulations, it's not viable to use for breaking news. If I recall correctly, the drones can't go above 200 feet, come within 5 miles of an airport, and the pilot cannot lose sight of the device. That severely limits its applications in urban settings like Chicago, Philly, or New York.

• 2 weeks later...
Jim Gardner is anchoring the 10pm on WPHL tonight.

Something we've never pictured happening is happening.

On a weekend, no less! Brian & Sharrie could just have easily have anchored it from their vantage at the WMOF stage, but I guess the background ambient noise would have been distracting.

• Like 1

To be completely accurate, he was anchoring continuing papal coverage on Channel 6, and at 10pm, that coverage began to be simulcast on PHL 17, at which point he welcomed the viewers joining them on PHL 17. So it's not like he came in just to anchor the 10pm. I'm sure he anchored the 11pm, which is probably a first as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really specific to 6 ABC News, but Good Morning America is celebrating their 40th anniversary with a 40 hour marathon, now through Thursday morning. Former GMA personalities scheduled to appear include Charlie Gibson, David Hartman, Diane Sawyer, Joan Lunden, Sandy Hill and more. It's being shown on the Live Well Network.

Not really specific to 6 ABC News, but Good Morning America is celebrating their 40th anniversary with a 40 hour marathon, now through Thursday morning. Former GMA personalities scheduled to appear include Charlie Gibson, David Hartman, Diane Sawyer, Joan Lunden, Sandy Hill and more. It's being shown on the Live Well Network.

Then why post it here?

There is a GMA thread in the network section. There is already a discussion on GMA's 40 hour broadcast.

Sorry, I didn't look there before I posted here. By the way, Cecily Tynan tweeted that she will be on the GMA marathon today in the 3PM hour.

• Like 1