The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

why does 6 need a sports desk? The idea of a sports desk reminds me too much of WSVN. I know almost every station in America is doing it now, but why should everyone do it? How can they do banter with Jim if s/he is in another part of the set or in another studio?

They only seem to use it during the 5:30 pm half hour, so I'm not really sure what its purpose is

why does 6 need a sports desk? The idea of a sports desk reminds me too much of WSVN. I know almost every station in America is doing it now, but why should everyone do it? How can they do banter with Jim if s/he is in another part of the set or in another studio?

Like I mentioned earlier, I smacks of monkey see, monkey do. 10's sports department is the market's one and only RSN and their sports hits are done from their newsroom so I guess they want their sports hits to have that same prestige but they fell quite a bit short.

​It looks like a small confined area and it looks cheap. I think they should just get rid of it and make the sports anchors sit at the news desk. Why can't these news stations just do their own thing instead of copying off of every other station in the market?

I've read some recent posts in this thread, I think what WPVI mgmt needs to realize what made 6 successful was the no frills approach even as Disney tried to slutify the O&Os in the latter half of the 90s. There was a reason why they were the only American station, never mind being in the Big 4 market to use a magnetic board for weather at the turn of the century. The gyro cam was a true innovation, possibly saving lives and property (a human plus a $50K camera) but this 360 is just (like what others said) just a desperation to address 10's Skyforce technology.

They seem to be desperate as they know its not if, but when 10 will KO the 1st place. The 3D thingy, this sports center desk seems to be out of character. Has the management been the same since the last 3 years? If it has, I bet the water has been tainted by their next door neighbor - JUST KIDDING! :)

The ND has changed. Carla Carpenter, who was for years the ND, moved to a new position as VP/Digital for the ABC O&Os. Though I think the shift to MOAR TEKK began under her watch, or certainly Bernie Prazenica's.

If 6 is worried about 10, they're crazy. 10's product is superior, but viewing habits are so entrenched, 6's afternoon ratings are higher than everyone else combined I think. If anything, I think 10 needs to do a much better job of promoting their product. I feel like I come off as a super fanboy, but that's because I think the product is great right now and they need to do something better than "Count On It".

First time I've watched the morning show on an HDTV in a while (still have a CRT in my bedroom). Kept hearing David talking about the "Always On 7 Day" on the HD feed. Finally checked it out today, and I thought it was a really neat concept! Never seen another station (aside from the cable networks) use the "extra" part of the screen for anything useful. (If any of the other locals do this, I don't watch them, so I don't know).

I think it's a concept they should expand, maybe showing other things there instead. I can't imagine it fitting in anywhere else besides the morning show, though.

First time I've watched the morning show on an HDTV in a while (still have a CRT in my bedroom). Kept hearing David talking about the "Always On 7 Day" on the HD feed. Finally checked it out today, and I thought it was a really neat concept! Never seen another station (aside from the cable networks) use the "extra" part of the screen for anything useful. (If any of the other locals do this, I don't watch them, so I don't know).

I think it's a concept they should expand, maybe showing other things there instead. I can't imagine it fitting in anywhere else besides the morning show, though.

KNBC was apparently the first in the nation to do that when they moved to Universal City. But all of their content is sent out letter box, so it isn't an HD bonus.

I was watching their live stream online and I am wondering if the Always on 7 Day is inserted through master control. I did not see it during the radar / headline section of the forecast. I wonder if it's just a general metro forecast or if they rotate the seven day forecast for different regions of DMA. As I mentioned before KNBC was the first to have the seven day forecast on screen through out the entire segment with about ten different variations.

Or is it the affiliates that downconvert (letterbox) the signal from the station?

The only thing that KNBC sends out is an HD feed and also a single letter boxed SD feed. They modified their Look F so that everything is 16:9 safe.

I think it's fun to speculate, but money put on 3 taking over 10 in ten years is money well spent. This shift happens every 10 years. The only difference is 6 was on the bottom for the first 30 years and now has been on the top for the past 40.

I hate to say this but I do not like it when a single station or show has been dominant for so long. There needs to be a little competition between the stations/networks and otherwise they get a little to cocky (not saying that WPVI is that) and complacent. It just does not seem fair for me.

I hate to say this but I do not like it when a single station or show has been dominant for so long. There needs to be a little competition between the stations/networks and otherwise they get a little to cocky (not saying that WPVI is that) and complacent. It just does not seem fair for me.

How is it unfair? This is television, not preschool. You can't blame WPVI for maintaining viewers. You CAN, however, knock the other stations in town for apparently not doing enough to try to compete over the years.

How is it unfair? This is television, not preschool. You can't blame WPVI for maintaining viewers. You CAN, however, knock the other stations in town for apparently not doing enough to try to compete over the years.

I realize that. My point that I was trying to make is that there needs to be more competition for number one.

I was watching their live stream online and I am wondering if the Always on 7 Day is inserted through master control. I did not see it during the radar / headline section of the forecast. I wonder if it's just a general metro forecast or if they rotate the seven day forecast for different regions of DMA. As I mentioned before KNBC was the first to have the seven day forecast on screen through out the entire segment with about ten different variations.

I do know that it wasn't on the whole time - and David said at some (random) point in the middle of his forecast, "I've just put the Always On 7 Day up in case you can't wait till the end" or something to that effect.

It may not be unfair but it is boring as hell. Chicago is like that, New York is like that and apparently Philly is like that. I assume LA isn't much different. Competition is more fun. Seeing articles every sweeps about WPVI, WABC, KABC and WLS winning everything or nearly everything gets old. I'm glad Detroit isn't like that at least because we only have 3 stations and not 4 so it's an actual competition and there aren't three stations splintering the remaining numbers while 1 station wins all the marbles.

It may not be unfair but it is boring as hell. Chicago is like that, New York is like that and apparently Philly is like that. I assume LA isn't much different. Competition is more fun. Seeing articles every sweeps about WPVI, WABC, KABC and WLS winning everything or nearly everything gets old. I'm glad Detroit isn't like that at least because we only have 3 stations and not 4 so it's an actual competition and there aren't three stations splintering the remaining numbers while 1 station wins all the marbles.

Exactly. Competition makes things interesting, but the notion of fairness gives me the impression that every station is entitled to their moment at the top, which they most certainly are not. Each organization should strive to do better and succeed, and it shouldn't take silly gimmicks to do it.

Exactly. Competition makes things interesting, but the notion of fairness gives me the impression that every station is entitled to their moment at the top, which they most certainly are not. Each organization should strive to do better and succeed, and it shouldn't take silly gimmicks to do it.

Which is why I come across as a 10 fanboy. I think the best product - not the one people are most familiar with, and not the most gimmicky - should get attention. Right now, that's WCAU*.

Though I would say it's not for lack of competition. I think every station competes for the top prize, and does so fiercely. (Maybe 10 was an exception during the later GE/Zucker period.) And I honestly would say that there have been very few periods where I think 6 offered the best product in the market. I certainly think they've been at least a solid #2 for most of the time I've watched local news. It's just that 10 put on a great newscast during the 1980s and early 1990s, and after that Fox 29 really shined when Roger LaMay was running things (first as News Director, then as GM - especially as GM, since they were a Fox O&O by then and Fox gave them money.) Then 3 under Peter Dunn was quite good.

The thing is, nobody has come close to 6, with the exception of that period in early 2001 where NBC 10 nearly got it** at 11pm. And even then 6 was still killing everyone in the other dayparts.

I think of it this way - 6 is ESPN, and 3, 10, and 29 are the other sports networks. 6 has been so dominant for so long, it's that far ahead of everyone else. I think part of it is that people have been trained to watch 6, even from birth. I think another part of it is that while 6 may not have always had the best PRODUCT, they have inarguably had the best TALENT. Most stations would kill to have just a Jim Gardner or a Cecily Tynan. 6 has both, and also a Rick Williams, a Monica Malpass, an Adam Joseph, a Vernon Odom, a Lisa Thomas-Laury...

*If you want to know, I'd rank the stations - by product quality - as 10, 29, 6, and 3.

**The results are kind of disputed. If you look at Monday-Friday, NBC 10 did come out ahead at 11. If you look at total week, however, Action News kept the crown. I go by total week because news doesn't stop on the weekends.

I have always been a fan of Action News and have been watching them for most of the years I have been living. I have to say though, I have been watching NBC10 the past few months way more than 6ABC. There is just something about it that I like more than 6.

I did a studio tour this past August at NBC10 and all the anchors, behind the scenes people, and meteorologists were much more friendly and hype to talk to their guests. I went to 6ABC in August of 2010 and the people there were friendly but didn't care for you as much. The only people that actually said something were David Murphy (who gave me the tour), Rick Williams, Sarah Bloomquist, and Matt O'Donnell.

The control room people didn't say two words at 6ABC. The lady at NBC10 got right up from her seat and showed me everything they do in the control room).

I have always been a fan of Action News and have been watching them for most of the years I have been living. I have to say though' date=' I have been watching NBC10 the past few months way more than 6ABC. There is just something about it that I like more than 6. [/color']

I did a studio tour this past August at NBC10 and all the anchors, behind the scenes people, and meteorologists were much more friendly and hype to talk to their guests. I went to 6ABC in August of 2010 and the people there were friendly but didn't care for you as much. The only people that actually said something were David Murphy (who gave me the tour), Rick Williams, Sarah Bloomquist, and Matt O'Donnell.

The control room people didn't say two words at 6ABC. The lady at NBC10 got right up from her seat and showed me everything they do in the control room).

I know this could start some crap here with people who like WPVI. But for me I I would have found in pretty rude if I am on a tour of your station as a viewer and I was ignored by the talent. To me that is simple laziness, complacency and arrogance. No John Q. Reporter I don't need a heart to heart conversation but just waving or a "Hi How Are you?" unprompted would make me think of you in a more favorable light.

While your interaction with WCAU seemed much more pleasant. If they were willing to talk I would think they are engaged by their job and like it well. Just those behinds the scenes aspects between WPVI and WCAU show the types of people they hire - one that doesn't want to be bothered and another who wants to know their community.

Maybe chalk it up to the community relations person rather than the talent. Maybe at 10 they alerted the staff of the tour. And at 6 they didn't. Hard to tell who is there for a business meeting or other reason.

But having 4 people in talent say hello seems pretty good for a quick tour.

I know this could start some crap here with people who like WPVI. But for me I I would have found in pretty rude if I am on a tour of your station as a viewer and I was ignored by the talent. To me that is simple laziness, complacency and arrogance. No John Q. Reporter I don't need a heart to heart conversation but just waving or a "Hi How Are you?" unprompted would make me think of you in a more favorable light.

While your interaction with WCAU seemed much more pleasant. If they were willing to talk I would think they are engaged by their job and like it well. Just those behinds the scenes aspects between WPVI and WCAU show the types of people they hire - one that doesn't want to be bothered and another who wants to know their community.

I have always been a fan of Action News and have been watching them for most of the years I have been living. I have to say though, I have been watching NBC10 the past few months way more than 6ABC. There is just something about it that I like more than 6.

I agree with rkolsen on this one, to me the evidence that there had been some level of complacency to have this apparent perception. Mickey Mouse doesn't care because even if 6 does go down in the ratings, advertisers are buying the brand name of WPVI (much like how CBS' WBZ didn't loose on advertising values when 4 was in the ratings basement a decade ago) and I wouldn't suspect that from happening. I'm trying to stay realistic, but I do think its only a matter of time when 10 will break the long time record for WPVI.

However I think 6 needs to step up their game on their community relations, I can't speak for the control room, but maybe you came in during a live broadcast where they can't really talk (even during commercial breaks) and given Ignite rooms requiring just one or two people now, the problem is that person must be focused at all times during the newscast.

Not to take away from the (great) discussion we're having about 6 vs. 10, but it's official at least as of tonight... it's Walter and Sarah doing the 6, 10, and 11 on Sundays. Updated weekend intros have been recorded, just about one year after Walter took over from Rob without the newscast missing a beat.

It's important for two reasons. It cements the well-deserved promotion of Walter to weekend anchor, where he's excelled. And, on Sundays, for the first time in history on Action News, an anchor team is handling the main newscasts. That's 44 years, people.

Not to take away from the (great) discussion we're having about 6 vs. 10, but it's official at least as of tonight... it's Walter and Sarah doing the 6, 10, and 11 on Sundays. Updated weekend intros have been recorded, just about one year after Walter took over from Rob without the newscast missing a beat.

It's important for two reasons. It cements the well-deserved promotion of Walter to weekend anchor, where he's excelled. And, on Sundays, for the first time in history on Action News, an anchor team is handling the main newscasts. That's 44 years, people.

Wonder if Rick will say that "Sarah's off" on Fridays at noon now.

I really do like Walter and Sarah together, way back to their days filling in on the AM when Monica & Rick took over for Marc Howard & Lisa Thomas-Laury