The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Something I never thought I'd see Channel 6 stoop to. They ran what appears to be an infomercial during their Sunday noon newscast. Granted, it was during commercial break, but it was more than a minute long and it had the look of an infomercial.

Also, a side note, Sharrie was subbing today for Nydia.

Something I never thought I'd see Channel 6 stoop to. They ran what appears to be an infomercial during their Sunday noon newscast. Granted, it was during commercial break, but it was more than a minute long and it had the look of an infomercial.

Also, a side note, Sharrie was subbing today for Nydia.

So it was a long commercial.... its happened before, it'll happen again. It's not like they replaced the noon newscast with infomercials. No big deal...
  • Like 1

If it's the long commercial that encourages callers to reference "ABC 6" at the end, that's been running on NBC 10 as well. It's nothing new. 6 has also been running those "Medical Minute" ads sponsored by a local hospital.

So it was a long commercial.... its happened before, it'll happen again. It's not like they replaced the noon newscast with infomercials.

Talk Philly says hi.

Well Talk Philly is on CBS3 not channel 6, but its basically a news/life style hybrid. Kinda like all that & more from nbc10 back in the day. First 10 minutes is news, then some segment, usually a interview, workout, or cooking. Then they do the weather, followed by another life style segment to close out the show.

Is 'Talk Philly' as craptacular as I would expect/assume?

'Cause it just looks awful.

OH GOD YES.

It's done in a secondary studio that hasn't been upped to HD, so the picture is 16x9 SD. The A-Block is a quick news update, with a weather hit or a live report or two. Then come the paid segments where Ukee and Pat talk to a doctor from a hospital sponsoring the place. Or try out Firehouse Subs. It's a bit of news and then unwatchable fluff.

The sad part is, they're wasting their best anchor team - Ukee Washington and Pat Ciarocchi - on this crap. At least give them a noon newscast and if we need to do this, I don't see why you can't do it on Philly 57 at 4pm. (I love Steve Harvey Feud, but do we REALLY need two hours of it per day?)

Anyway, this is from the Sandy Hook shootings and demonstrates the format, especially how awkward it becomes during breaking news:

[yt]nToc3GqdZJk[/yt]

(Note: They redid the graphics a few months ago. The ones seen here were clearly based off of the 2007 look. The new ones are more like the CBS O&O look and use Gotham - ironically I think they look better than the news lower thirds...)

If it's the long commercial that encourages callers to reference "ABC 6" at the end, that's been running on NBC 10 as well. It's nothing new. 6 has also been running those "Medical Minute" ads sponsored by a local hospital.

Is it the commercial talking about home security systems where two people are chatting in front of a large tv with a bad copy of the Scripps orange graphics (the gfx that were prior to the current ones)? I was going to make a thread about it but thought maybe it was local. I think it would be very easy to confuse people especially when the commercial airs on a Scripps station.

As a similar side note about sponsored content into newscasts here in Baltimore there is this financial consulting firm that is currently or has in the past ran a weekly show on WBAL-TV (NBC) and WJZ (WJZ) called The Money Guys at the same time on both stations. While I have nothing wrong with stations running paid programming in off hours ( I believe it was like 11:30 AM or Noon on Sundays) they further run a commercial during the newscasts that is deceptive by saying right here on WBAL-TV 11 or WJZ 13 almost implying that they are part of the news team. I am surprised that the two top television stations in the market are willing to let a commercial air during a newscast inferring that the station is involved with it. Further more WJZ has aired one or two stories of the financial consulting firm making a donation to a local charity during the evening newscasts.

The really funny thing is each show is the same as the week before (the last I checked) using data and charts that ended in 2012 so the show is long out of date especially when it comes to investing your money and I think deceptive sales practice. http://www.everestwm.com/media.html

If it's the home security infomercial that Rkolsen mentioned, it also airs during the hour long midday newscast on KTRK in Houston almost every day. It's very tacky but I don't see how that's a low point for WPVI, especially because of its timeslot.

One more thing - tonight's 6pm news had a full close, with the "From Channel 6..." announcement. First time I've seen them run that announcement in months. I got it on my FiOS box but not the TiVo that I can more easily transfer things over from...

One more thing - tonight's 6pm news had a full close, with the "From Channel 6..." announcement. First time I've seen them run that announcement in months. I got it on my FiOS box but not the TiVo that I can more easily transfer things over from...

I saw that too, and was surprised. Must've been running early with the sign off.

Usually they do the full close for the Sunday noon broadcast however.

The 4 and 5pm newscasts now have a ticker. It's not the one they use during the mornings, though. It's actually a bit more basic though it has some cool effects.

If you look closely, you'll see 6ABC's philosophy on the ABC logo, which is basically "fuck it". A flat version, a version with the old ABC ball, a version with the new ABC ball, and a vizrt-generated bug that looks nothing like either ABC ball can all be seen.

[ATTACH]1343.IPB[/ATTACH]

6ABCTicker-2-720p.thumb.jpg.11379872b48f78d2be9404e16c06d499.jpg

The 4 and 5pm newscasts now have a ticker. It's not the one they use during the mornings, though. It's actually a bit more basic though it has some cool effects.

If you look closely, you'll see 6ABC's philosophy on the ABC logo, which is basically "fuck it". A flat version, a version with the old ABC ball, a version with the new ABC ball, and a vizrt-generated bug that looks nothing like either ABC ball can all be seen.

attachicon.gif6ABCTicker-2-720p.jpg

Maybe it's just me but the ticker doesn't seem to work with the graphics.

How many times can you have a logo on screen without it being overkill? (The logo in the ticker doesn't count in my book because I expect the headline separator to be the station bug.) I'm thinking three is too many.

Keeping with the three too many logos here's a quick aside: My local station seemed to think it was okay to but three versions of their bug up when the Today Show had it's prior graphics: first was the basic crystal logo that appears during primetime, then a horizontal version of their logo made to look like it belonged in the graphics next to the Today.com URL and then third that would sporadically appear. Then earlier this winter we got this gem of graphical vommit : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdlE7coCcAA_TJh.jpg

WPVI is the WLS of 2 years ago. They had 4 logo variations in regular rotation. As is the case with any station, at some point it begins to look ridiculous and unprocessional. As was the case with ABC7, I think the only way 6ABC settles on a single logo is if they debut new graphics, and at 3.5 years, it might not be that far off. I'll be honest, WPVI's graphics have not aged well.

Since we're talking about the graphics, I'll add that I've never liked some elements, particularly the L3s. It's rounded-edge box overkill. There are other parts of the graphics, like the open animations and the excellent use of Viz, that I think are really good. Those cluttered L3s bring the whole package down.

WPVI is the WLS of 2 years ago. They had 4 logo variations in regular rotation. As is the case with any station, at some point it begins to look ridiculous and unprocessional. As was the case with ABC7, I think the only way 6ABC settles on a single logo is if they debut new graphics, and at 3.5 years, it might not be that far off. I'll be honest, WPVI's graphics have not aged well.

The graphics look like they were smashed with a hammer and got fragmented. It's kinda like nails on a chalkboard to me when they overlap like that. Yuck. It's the same basic design as the WLS and WABC graphics but these are taken to a cartoonish extreme.

The ticker doesn't seem to be moving as "smoothly" as the morning ticker. I don't understand why it's a different ticker?!

EDIT: The ticker just changed colors and stories for the "breaking news" that just happened. That was really cool! I thought so, anyway...

The graphics look like they were smashed with a hammer and got fragmented. It's kinda like nails on a chalkboard to me when they overlap like that. Yuck. It's the same basic design as the WLS and WABC graphics but these are taken to a cartoonish extreme.

Finally someone else who feels the same way. I hate the way the L3 graphics come in and out.

It takes like a second for them to come, while other stations' graphics come in 1/2 a second faster.

That annoys me. Even more grating when the come in late.