The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Little from column A, little from column B. I'm interested in the Silver in Adults 18-49. Does that mean 10 connected in one of the late news demos?

Anyway, they're running an uncharacteristic, but well-produced promo for their February performance:

[yt]XOI-qxv6z3Q[/yt]

And then they've debuted yet another Channel Six Advertisement. What is that, you say? Well, it's one of those cheesy, bonkers promotions that you only ever see on Channel Six. Like the one with the guy and the girl connecting because they watch Action News at 11. Or the guy who worked at the vet and would watch Action News on the Phanavision (the big monitor).

Well, here's what started airing last night during the Oscars:

[yt]RPfKJKHW0C4[/yt]

I know, I saw the dog promo during the news last night ... I don't really have any words to say?!

Speaking of the "Action News van," I wonder what ever happened to the promo banner that would come on during primetime shows that would have the van drive across the screen and tease the 11 pm news? I always thought that was clever! Haven't seen it in forever.

They haven't had the Action News van driving across the screen in a graphics package or two. Same with Mr. 6, though he made a comeback recently.

At least last year during sweeps, they had a tease graphic that actually resembled the package used on KABC and KGO.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching ch6 right now, with Shirleen Allicot anchoring breaking news of the bad plane landing at PHL, and she is awful anchoring off-the-cuff / no teleprompter. I can feel her struggling to find words to say / fighting off the dreaded dead air sound.

As I finish typing this, she has Dan Cuellar via phone to talk to, and sounds better when she has someone to talk to.

7:50 Update: Jim Gardner has joined her to co-anchor.

I'm watching ch6 right now, with Shirleen Allicot anchoring breaking news of the bad plane landing at PHL, and she is awful anchoring off-the-cuff / no teleprompter. I can feel her struggling to find words to say / fighting off the dreaded dead air sound.

As I finish typing this, she has Dan Cuellar via phone to talk to, and sounds better when she has someone to talk to.

7:50 Update: Jim Gardner has joined her to co-anchor.

I don't know why they had her solo but it was not good. A lot better with Jim next to her. I mean, I can't blame her, it must be difficult not having any information and trying to speak and get info at the same time.

Oh yes, to be fair it must be very hard to go onair minutes after a story breaks with little info, no reporters to cut to, and only a few camera shots, while havning to continuously talk. She just should've never been on by herself. She was literally making "uhhhhhhhh" sounds as she was trying to find words to say. Brian Taff would've normally came on with her, but he is off this week.

I've never seen Shirleen Allicot during breaking news, now I know why. The "ummms" were irritating so I changed the channel. It was early in the development of the news story so I'll cut her a break. But as they say practice makes perfect. The only way an anchor gets better at breaking news is to actually anchor "off the cuff" so to speak; Hone one's skills. Brian Taff usually takes the lead but he was off today. Thank god for Jim Gardner.

• Haha 1

I always find it interesting the change of tone people have when they are anchoring breaking news - particularly fast breaking and with little known facts. I find Monica Malpass to be particularly good at it.

On a side note, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone co-anchor with Jim Gardner before??

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if they're doing some work to the main set. All newscasts have been coming from the "Kids Table" (i.e., the 4pm set) and they're going out of their way to not show the main set.

I was wondering the same thing, but didn't get a chance to post here yet!

What does anyone think of Sharie Williams? I still don't fully understand her purpose. I thought maybe she would substitute anchor, but the other day Eva Pilgrim was on instead of Monica.

They are doing more than just resurfacing floors here.

All of Walter's OTS shots are revealing a little of the main set - and it looks like they've added some light panels and an animated backdrop. Something is clearly up.

Yes, the new backdrop is animated. I can't quite tell if it goes the full length, but I'd guess that it only fills the duratran area. Keep in mind, the ACTION NEWS scroll on the display is indeed moving.

DZzSvPf.jpg?1?8430

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so Sarah Bloomquist continues to co-anchor Sundays at 6pm & 11pm with Walter, but for the past few weeks she is back to doing the Monday through Thursday noon show with Rick. On Friday, Eva Pilgrim subs for her.

I am still puzzled by all of this...

Why does Sarah co-anchor on Sundays, but she (or someone else) doesn't on Saturdays?

Why is Sarah doing Sundays? Is the long term plan to move her there with Walter? If so, why the slow transition?

Why isn't the noon solo anchored anymore when one person is off? Don't get me wrong, I like the subs/two people!

What is the purpose of Sharrie Williams?

Is Jim retiring?

Who is going to sub for Nydia while she's on maternity leave?

Why doesn't Lisa Thomas-Laury sub anymore?

Okay, so Sarah Bloomquist continues to co-anchor Sundays at 6pm & 11pm with Walter, but for the past few weeks she is back to doing the Monday through Thursday noon show with Rick. On Friday, Eva Pilgrim subs for her.

I am still puzzled by all of this...

Why does Sarah co-anchor on Sundays, but she (or someone else) doesn't on Saturdays?

Why is Sarah doing Sundays? Is the long term plan to move her there with Walter? If so, why the slow transition?

Why isn't the noon solo anchored anymore when one person is off? Don't get me wrong, I like the subs/two people!

Is Jim retiring?

Sundays are higher-rated than Saturdays.

If it was permanent, you'd think they'd make some mention of it. Otherwise, it does seem quite random and almost unnecessary.

The economy's coming back, stations have more money to spend on 2 anchors for each show. I've noticed this on my ABC station lately. This might be part of the reason of adding Sarah on Sundays, as they may have wanted to wait until Rob to retire to make such a move.

Still trying to figure that one out.

No. Not yet. Someday, but not now.

[N/A]

I think that ship has sailed.

Ditching the quote format so I can do this Q&A style.

Likely because she's on a Sunday through Thursday shift. Remember, she's still the anchor of the noon newscast and does reporting for the later newscasts.

They're experimenting with a two-anchor 6/11 format for some reason. Long term, I have no idea. As for transitions, 6 historically has taken YEARS to name official successors - even when those successors have been anchoring for months, like Rick and Monica.

If the plan is to move Sarah Bloomquist to weekend evenings - which would probably include Saturdays - they probably want to try different pairings. I've seen Matt and Tam do the noon on one occasion, when Rick and Sarah were there.

Uhmmmm... that is a very good question.

Is Jim retiring?

For the nine millionth time, NO. We'll know when he is.

People who normally don't get a shot at the desk. Katherine Scott did it one weekend, and Kenneth Moton has anchored on occasion.

If she were physically able to substitute or anchor on occasion, there's no doubt in my mind they'd find a spot for her. Her disease is EXTREMELY debilitating - my dad has one of the major aspects of it, neuropathy, and can barely walk on many days.

I've also noticed Erin O'Hearn returning as of late and subbing - she was in for Nydia this past Sunday morning, and was on for Matt today. Glad to see her back!

I really don't understand the purpose of Sharrie Williams - they refer to her as "Action News anchor" but she has yet to anchor anything. And, this might be weird to say, but I'm kind of getting tired of her random reports. Why is she doing them? Sometimes she does 2 in the 5 pm newscast. I also saw her on the 11 a few times I think. She just gives an in-depth report on something. Usually things we pre-packged video - not even live interview shots. AND, even though she's called "anchor", they don't mention her as an anchor at the end of the show.

I don't get annoyed by Lisa Thomas-Laury's random reports, because a.) she's LTL, and b.) they are usually cutesy, fluff stories that involved her going somewhere/doing something. Sharrie just puts together video clips and writes a script. Not really sure!

I like Sarah & Walter together, as random as it may seem.

Can I just say how much I enjoy Sarah Bloomquist as an reporter and a co-anchor. Also, she's just gorgeous.

Ditto to all of that! I was upset when Tamala Edwards came in out of nowhere and got the morning gig with Matt...and still sort of am! I like Tamala, but I think she's more of a hard news, evening type personality. Sarah is so bubbly and energetic no matter what time of day it is.

Sharrie Williams = Cheryl Burton at Chicago WLS: ABC 7 News @ 10pm. A "Contributing Anchor" or "Third Anchor" to the newscast.

Although I don't understand why Sharrie isn't the main fill in for either Rick or Monica; that has me perplexed. Isn't that the whole purpose of being a third anchor? To fill in when the Primary Anchors are off?

Sharrie Williams = Cheryl Burton at Chicago WLS: ABC 7 News @ 10pm. A "Contributing Anchor" or "Third Anchor" to the newscast.

Although I don't understand why Sharrie isn't the main fill in for either Rick or Monica; that has me perplexed. Isn't that the whole purpose of being a third anchor? To fill in when the Primary Anchors are off?

Maybe they feel like people aren't ready for her to do that yet, since she's still relatively unknown there?

Brian Taff & Monica are doing a great job covering this breaking news fire in Sea Isle City. I've watched the two of them do breaking news before where there was some sort of school shooting in South Philly a few months ago. Brian is really good at ad-libbing.

(This also brings to mind the CBS cuts a few years back. The Mendte/Lane shenanigans had to be a blessing in disguise for KYW. You lose the huge salaries they had with minimal blowback, and you have Chris May and Susan Barnett waiting in the wings. Plus Marc Howard had already retired.)

Considering the fact that CBS3 has nose dived back to the fifth place numbers that they had before Mendte jumped over to there, I don't think it was much of a blessing.