Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

A big trade is coming to channel 5. Last May, Assistant ND Tracy Davis has been traded to WVIT and later appointing it as VP of News in exchange for Akemi Harrison, which began their work duties beginning next month.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/07/06/nbc-5-taps-assistant-news-director-connecticut-station/

• 4 weeks later...

Very happy for him. Between his other ventures and 7's obvious budget-trimming, I feel like his exit was pretty amicable. It was time to leave.

That said, "The Food Guy" is a lame title.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure but it looks like they are redoing the weather center again. This pic I saw on Lauren Petty's Facebook page about a week ago shows the background monitor sitting lower towards the ground and the background is different. Gone are the computers and cabinets. I also haven't seen them use that area on air for while. The morning team is together at the desk now and the weather team is at the green screen. During the height of Covid this area was heavily used in the morning as a anchor desk so they could be socially distant.  

WMAQ WX.jpg

WMAQ WX-2.jpg

Congrats to Andy on his retirement! Going to miss him!

I saw people in Feder's comments speculating on who would replace him. Isn't it already a foregone conclusion that Alicia Roman would be replacing him? Hasn't she been part of the morning news team for quite a while now, getting ready for this position?

40 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Congrats to Andy on his retirement! Going to miss him!

I saw people in Feder's comments speculating on who would replace him. Isn't it already a foregone conclusion that Alicia Roman would be replacing him? Hasn't she been part of the morning news team for quite a while now, getting ready for this position?

It would make sense for Alicia to succeed Andy, but you never really know with WMAQ.

I never quite understood why they needed two during the morning. Now, it makes a little more sense as to why if Andy had been contemplating retirement over the last year. Letting the viewers get used to seeing her in the mornings then when he does retire its a seamless transition. Or after having her baby she wanted to be more in the mornings then doing her marathon weekends of mornings, 5pm and 10pm.  But like @jase said, you never really know with WMAQ. A new hire could shake things up. 

This from TVNewsCheck.

Alicia officially takes over for Andy on Aug 30th. Additionally, they hired Iisha Scott (from WCNC)  as weekend AM meteorologist as well as weekday reports on community and weather-related stories. Her first day is also Aug 30th. 

I'm surprised they filled the position so quickly. This must have all been in the works for a little while. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

This from TVNewsCheck.

Alicia officially takes over for Andy on Aug 30th. Additionally, they hired Iisha Scot (from WCNC)  as weekend AM meteorologist as well as weekday reports on community and weather-related stories. Her first day is also Aug 30th. 

I'm surprised they filled the position so quickly. This must have all been in the works for a little while. 

WMAQ filled a position immediately? Wow, now I've seen everything.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Zoraida came back today after nearly 4 months away from the anchor desk. 

I was confused by Feder's writing of "Zoraida...returned Monday." Was he referring to last Monday or this Monday? Because if it was today, and the Feder post was released at 6am at his usual posting time, it would be odd to say that she made no mention of her return even though the newscast was still in progress at the time Feder's post went up.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:47 AM, Spring Rubber said:

I was confused by Feder's writing of "Zoraida...returned Monday." Was he referring to last Monday or this Monday? Because if it was today, and the Feder post was released at 6am at his usual posting time, it would be odd to say that she made no mention of her return even though the newscast was still in progress at the time Feder's post went up.

JUST IN: Zoraida gets out again for the second time in ten years. Robert Feder confirmed this report. Her final day is next Friday.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/09/24/robservations-zoraida-sambolin-sign-off-nbc-5-morning-news-anchor/

I too am shocked that she's leaving. I've always loved Zoraida in the morning. However in her absence when Michelle was in Tokyo covering the Olympics I really enjoyed Patrick and Lauren in the mornings. They had good chemistry and brought a little bit more fun in the mornings.

I think Michelle does better with more hard news than mornings. I think she should go back to weekends alongside Alex and reporting at night. I think that would solve their morning and weekend anchor issues. It never made sense to me why they brought Michelle into the mornings and moved Alex to weekends and reporting in the evenings. 

Yeah, the whole talent shift was weird. It's almost like, in the grand scheme of things, Stefan replaced Dick, but not without displacing every other man one notch down the ladder. But frankly, Zoraida's exit doesn't surprise me. The renewed focus on her well-being, paired with her history of leaving (CNN, anyone?), had me figuring that she'd be hanging it up soon. This soon? No, but the farewell parade seemed on the horizon.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:42 AM, 24994J said:

Yeah, the whole talent shift was weird. It's almost like, in the grand scheme of things, Stefan replaced Dick, but not without displacing every other man one notch down the ladder. But frankly, Zoraida's exit doesn't surprise me. The renewed focus on her well-being, paired with her history of leaving (CNN, anyone?), had me figuring that she'd be hanging it up soon. This soon? No, but the farewell parade seemed on the horizon.

Actually Stefan did replacing Rob Elgas which he moved to the 4:30pm newscast until he leaved the station in 2015. 

1 hour ago, LinCruzChicagoNYLA said:

Actually Stefan did replacing Rob Elgas which he moved to the 4:30pm newscast until he leaved the station in 2015. 

Not true. Rob left in early 2015, and his 4pm chair remained a cycle of Dick and Rob for like a year until they brought in Patrick Fazio. Stefan was Marion's co-anchor when the 11am news was relaunched.