Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

19 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

What the heck is with the horrid lighting and the junk over in the lower right corner? Did they hang a green curtain inside of a storage closet? Is he recording this from his own home?

I saw the still before reading anything else about what was going on, and I thought for a second maybe someone was making their own "weather forecasts" with graphics from WMAQ's website.

Boy, was I wrong! 😐

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

I know, right? Maybe. Possibly. Such an odd arrangement.

Weird. Do we know for a fact he is an "employee", or maybe just interning or something? What's in it for the station? It's not that hard to have your professional weather people record segments for web.

Edited by PTVNews

When I saw the name and the face, I did some digging, and honestly, the only confirmation I got was a mention of both father and son on Mrs. Miller's business bio. It says he graduated from Purdue with a degree in meteorology, so i doubt he's an intern. If I were to guess, he's probably a weather producer.

https://www.millerbroadcast.com/lisa-miller/ (last paragraph)

13 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

What the heck is with the horrid lighting and the junk over in the lower right corner? Did they hang a green curtain inside of a storage closet? Is he recording this from his own home?

Dude is definitely not at the Tower. My guess would be at his parents house given that Brant has (and maybe still does?) weather reports for WLS radio (possibly other stations too) from home. Everything would be readily accessible there. But this is the first I've seen a weather report via a person's dining (or living) room. 

10 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Weird. Do we know for a fact he is an "employee", or maybe just interning or something? What's in it for the station? It's not that hard to have your professional weather people record segments for web.

It's true that Brant, Andy, Pete, etc... could do segments for the web, the weather app, Facebook and so on, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong with this arrangement. He does have a degree and being the Chief Met's son is an added bonus for sure. He not on-air (and likely never will be) and will probably move on to something bigger/better elsewhere soon enough. Might as well take advantage of whatever may come his way and build his resume. 

• Like 1

There is this one weird area on the WMAQ studios where there are actually two chroma screens at about a 45° angle from one another each with screens at the end. It could be coming from the secondary screen which is much smaller and is lit a little less.

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

There is this one weird area on the WMAQ studios where there are actually two chroma screens at about a 45° angle from one another each with screens at the end. It could be coming from the secondary screen which is much smaller and is lit a little less.

No. The light clearly appears to be coming from either a set of windows/doors. The weather office (or closet) has no windows and the 2 chroma/greens screens (not even going to get into how ridiculous that is) are adjacent to the weather center in an enclosed studio with no outside light shining in.

25 minutes ago, jase said:

No. The light clearly appears to be coming from either a set of windows/doors. The weather office (or closet) has no windows and the 2 chroma/greens screens (not even going to get into how ridiculous that is) are adjacent to the weather center in an enclosed studio with no outside light shining in.

Okay I see it clearly now.  But wasn’t the main green screen adjacent to the weather center retractable and covered a 3x3 monitor array?

33 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Okay I see it clearly now.  But wasn’t the main green screen adjacent to the weather center retractable and covered a 3x3 monitor array?

I'm fairly certain, the main green screen has always been at the far end (near the door) with the 3x3 monitor array in the middle. That array was often used for traffic reports, etc... My guess is when they did the 3rd remodel of the weather center, they did away with the monitor array and just decided to toss another green screen up and made that the main one. The one at the end and at an angle appears retractable (but don't hold me to that). Studio 5 is the only other time they have used retractable green screens (two of them in fact.. 1 for weather, the other for traffic).

Edited by jase

40 minutes ago, jase said:

I'm fairly certain, the main green screen has always been at the far end (near the door) with the 3x3 monitor array in the middle. That array was often used for traffic reports, etc... My guess is when they did the 3rd remodel of the weather center, they did away with the monitor array and just decided to toss another green screen up and made that the main one. The one at the end and at an angle appears retractable (but don't hold me to that). Studio 5 is the only other time they have used retractable green screens (two of them in fact.. 1 for weather, the other for traffic).

Okay, so I wasn’t going crazy there was a 3x3 immediately next to the weather center.  I mean I get the allure of two chroma key walls, they can cut straight to traffic without the meteorologist having to walk off screen with just a quick swipe.  NBC seems to love their studios having five cameras and lets face it the main presentation area can barely fit the three robos. Probably the only reason they haven’t gotten the Ross Cambots is they take up a larger floor footprint.

On a slightly unrelated note that stylized golden peacock backdrop seems to be in use in WNBC, KXAS, WMAQ and KNSD. I can see why they may use that especially if the city backdrop cameras are dark at night. Stations like WCAU which have a great waterfront camera that gets morning light and WRC’s White House or Capitol Dome ones always look good as they are lit. 

Edited by rkolsen

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jase said:

Is this the video wall or some temporary panels of some sort? I can remember if they used this look before. I’m not liking it (and Kalee agrees with me). 

5FC2D1F4-4777-4733-B295-01BB1D5423E3.jpeg

Nope, it's the existing video wall. They're following a trend of other NBC O&O's. Most are ditching the stylized loop it for the normal live feed when it gets to be light enough outside.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to this sales reel (at 1:40), NBC 5 and/or Telemundo Chicago are going to be launching some sort of lifestyle program in the near future. I haven't heard anything else, so this might be the first hint at such a move.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

According to this sales reel (at 1:40), NBC 5 and/or Telemundo Chicago are going to be launching some sort of lifestyle program in the near future. I haven't heard anything else, so this might be the first hint at such a move.

It will be a possibly an potential contender to channel 7's "Windy City Live". Great question. Most NBC O&Os like in NYC, LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Boston and Hartford had their own lifestyle shows, meanwhile the Philadelphia station had previously have a lifestyle show. Only DC & Dallas don't have their own lifestyle shows of ours.

Edited by LinCruzNYC2014

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago, WMAQ had its own Youtube page. the official YT page had videos of some really interesting news stories as well as clips from the station's newscasts. What a great effort by NBC to set-up the other owned stations' official Youtube pages.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCL9C44BZd_8hRa9OPMjIpMg/

Edited by LinCruzNYC2014

I remember a few eyebrows being raised a few years ago when it was announced that Peggy Kusinski was shifting from daily reporting to a special projects/investigative role, an odd arrangement for local TV sports. As an irregular NBC 5 viewer, I hadn't seen her much since, and was a little surprised when she was talked about as if she was a former colleague during a recent interview with her and her son on Sports Sunday. Sure enough, she's only been at work 7 days in the last year.

Now we know why, and it's heartbreaking...

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190729/rozner-whatever-happened-to-peggy-kusinski

Edited by 24994J
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, 24994J said:

I remember a few eyebrows being raised a few years ago when it was announced that Peggy Kusinski was shifting from daily reporting to a special projects/investifative role, an odd arrangement for local TV sports. As an irregular NBC 5 viewer, I hadn't seen her much since, and was a little surprised when she was talked about as if she was a former colleague during a recent interview with her and her son on Sports Sunday. Sure enough, she's only been at work 7 days in the last year.

Now we know why, and it's heartbreaking...

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190729/rozner-whatever-happened-to-peggy-kusinski

I was wondering why I didn't see her last month. That's so gutting.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

That's so gutting.

Indeed.

This quote shocked me as well...

"There were an awful lot of journalists who knew me who did not come to my defense, did not ask me what happened."

Competitor or not, you would think someone would have reached out. Hopefully, now that the story is out there, someone will.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Does anybody know if these teaser graphics are new? I haven't watched their 4pm news in a long time. Is this part of a different graphics package?

20190809_160117.jpg

They've been around at least a few months, possibly even longer. Maybe in-house, but not a sign of anything new.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, NBC News correspondent Ron Mott was filling in for Dick Johnson on the 5 & 10 pm newscasts. the ND says that there are no further appearances on the anchor desk are planned for Mott in the near future. His appearance on the 5PM newscast last Saturday had been preempted because of the golf overrun.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/19/robservations-columnist-mary-mitchell-celebrated-great-chicago-icon/

In a lawsuit filed today, anchor Rob Stafford is alleging that his blood cancer 2.5 years ago stems from frequent exposure to the toxic fumes emitted from a nearby chemical plant. The Sterigenics plant has been the subject of lawsuits and investigations for a year or more, regularly making headlines across the western suburbs. Since he has pursued such action, Stafford has not been a part of any coverage.

Coincidentally, co-anchor Allison Rosati has lived in an adjacent town for many years. From a personal standpoint, I live about halfway between the Stafford residence and the athletic club he goes to.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/26/nbc-5-anchor-rob-stafford-sues-sterigenics-blood-disease/

Reporter Ash-Har Quraishi have signed on to become the national correspondent for the E.W. Scripps station group, owners of WTMJ-TV in nearby Milwaukee in which the viewers of WMAQ & WTMJ-TV are both serving in Kenosha and Racine viewing markets beginning September 16. His last report will be on the station September 15. I really missed & watching Ash-Har's fill-ins during the "The Rundown" social media stories while Kalee Dionne is not available.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/29/robservations-wgcis-leon-rogers-host-late-night-show-fox-32/

NBC5 and Telemundo are both broadcasting their entire afternoon newscasts from the NFL experience at Grant Park, ahead of tonight's 100th anniversary Bears season opener, except when they threw to a reporter in-studio to read the other headlines. Most of it is going well, but the chroma key they set up for weather failed when a canopy or something cast a shadow on it.

20190905_162059_HDR.thumb.jpg.2ebcd3bfd4f6776bc94eda7e0a2f1bb2.jpg

Edited by 24994J