Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

I have never seen the 4 AM news in my life, but today's show is being anchored by Susan Carlson solo in the Weather Center. I wonder if there's a reason she's not at the anchor desk, or if they're just trying to be creative with the solo anchor format on today's (observed) holiday show.

Unless this is actually the norm for the 4 AM show...?

EDIT: I guess it's the norm. Apparently Alex Maragos doesn't join the show until 4:30 AM, at which point they move over to the anchor desk.

Siafa and Shinelle had no chemistry given they have never worked together and likely met a few hrs. before the broadcast. It seems like they picked these two out of thin air and said this can work. I'm surprised they didn't just pay someone from Chicago Fire, PD, Med or Justice to host and be done with it. Maybe next year. I agree the musical acts were very, very weak and without question, no thought was put into this. You have a freaking year to prepare and this is the best you can do? Shameful.

Remember that NBC doesn't put on this event, they just have the broadcast rights to it. The musical acts are entirely outside their control (though I'm sure they could help pull strings to get, I don't know, America's Got Talent performers...)

I didn't see the whole show (just this video), but it looks to me like WMAQ's involvement is to provide the hosts and most of the broadcast aspect (the boring camera shots give away that someone who directs news for a living is directing the video here). The audio feed of everything happening on the stage is probably a mix from the "house board" (if they were using a system like Dante they could potentially have a "house mix" and an "air mix" on two separate boards, but I doubt it) more than likely being operated by someone from the audio vendor, which is why the hosts are so loud in comparison.

WMAQ's involvement with the actual event itself is just about the same as the vendors who supplied the lights, trussing, staging, etc.

• Like 3

Remember that NBC doesn't put on this event, they just have the broadcast rights to it. The musical acts are entirely outside their control (though I'm sure they could help pull strings to get, I don't know, America's Got Talent performers...)

I didn't see the whole show (just this video), but it looks to me like WMAQ's involvement is to provide the hosts and most of the broadcast aspect (the boring camera shots give away that someone who directs news for a living is directing the video here). The audio feed of everything happening on the stage is probably a mix from the "house board" (if they were using a system like Dante they could potentially have a "house mix" and an "air mix" on two separate boards, but I doubt it) more than likely being operated by someone from the audio vendor, which is why the hosts are so loud in comparison.

WMAQ's involvement with the actual event itself is just about the same as the vendors who supplied the lights, trussing, staging, etc.

Yeah I know WMAQ plays only a very smart part in this (with Arena Partners being the actual producers of the show/program). I just expected something better given they had a year to work with. It's not like they are putting on a live 3 hr. parade or something. Everything just seemed so half-hearted.

I have never seen the 4 AM news in my life, but today's show is being anchored by Susan Carlson solo in the Weather Center. I wonder if there's a reason she's not at the anchor desk, or if they're just trying to be creative with the solo anchor format on today's (observed) holiday show.

Unless this is actually the norm for the 4 AM show...?

EDIT: I guess it's the norm. Apparently Alex Maragos doesn't join the show until 4:30 AM, at which point they move over to the anchor desk.

Your edit is the correct answer, just for a second opinion.

• Like 2

I didn't see the whole show (just this video), but it looks to me like WMAQ's involvement is to provide the hosts and most of the broadcast aspect (the boring camera shots give away that someone who directs news for a living is directing the video here).

Is it possible that it was produced back at the station and done through the automation system? The transitions seem very simple with quick cuts between sources.

Edit: Figure I should clarify what I meant. As I saw the video I thought it could have been done through overdrive with the director using a breakout panel to change the camera source rapidly compared actually using the switcher to fading it up and off.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't remember the last time I saw the "Dick Johnson at 4pm, Rob Stafford at 5, 6, and 10pm" format. Ever since the holidays, it seems that either Dick or Rob has been off every weekday, whoever is present that particular day will anchor all of the day's newscasts. Today, Rob is in, but it's been mostly Dick Johnson for the past two weeks, and I think it was mostly Rob for the two weeks before that.

Maybe someday they'll both be back together on Monday-Wednesday.

I'll bet you'll see that return to regularity with sweeps looming. That said, even with fewer anchors, I swear channel 5's evening anchors take more time off than channel 7's, and someone's always off there.

By the way, I noticed in the last several weeks that there are no longer 2 anchor positions on their job site, which tells me that the alternating Dick/Rob tandem will remain at 4, or they're satisfied with Susan and Michelle on weekend mornings, the latter I'd imagine being the more likely arrangement.

• Like 3

NBC5 lead sports anchor Mike Adamle, who's been out for over a year, tells his story to Peggy Kusinski Tuesday & Wednesday on NBC5 News at 10PM. They will also be going more in-depth on next weekend's Sports Sunday. My heart breaks for him. I knew he fell on some hard times a few years back, but from what I can gather, he's been in a really dark place. Not sure which came first (the circumstances or the internal battle), but I'm guessing it's the latter. Well there's no point in speculating, we'll find out soon enough. All I do know is that I really feel for him and wish him nothing but better days and, of course, complete freedom from this.

• Like 2

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8752-nbc-5-sports-anchor-mike-adamle-to-reveal-his-medical-condition-why-he-has-been-off-air

This preview hints that Mike's absence likely has something to do with a hot-button issue putting a cloud over today's NFL and the sport of football...

"In recent years, WMAQ-TV viewers have commented that Adamle had been making on-air mistakes and sometimes appeared to slurring his words and/or jumbling his words. It was first thought that it was related to his epilepsy and the medication needed to treat it.

It turns out, there is a far worse medical reason behind his on-air and off-air troubles. It also is the reason for Adamle's indefinite leave of absence from the television station.

On Tuesday night during its 10:00pm newscast, WMAQ-TV will air an interview between reporter Peggy Kusinski and Adamle, in which he will publicly reveal his medical condition, and how it relates to his years of playing football. This is something Adamle's family, friends, and co-workers have known for quite some time, but will be openly and publicly discussed for the very first time by him."

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8752-nbc-5-sports-anchor-mike-adamle-to-reveal-his-medical-condition-why-he-has-been-off-air

This preview hints that Mike's absence likely has something to do with a hot-button issue putting a cloud over today's NFL and the sport of football...

"In recent years, WMAQ-TV viewers have commented that Adamle had been making on-air mistakes and sometimes appeared to slurring his words and/or jumbling his words. It was first thought that it was related to his epilepsy and the medication needed to treat it.

It turns out, there is a far worse medical reason behind his on-air and off-air troubles. It also is the reason for Adamle's indefinite leave of absence from the television station.

On Tuesday night during its 10:00pm newscast, WMAQ-TV will air an interview between reporter Peggy Kusinski and Adamle, in which he will publicly reveal his medical condition, and how it relates to his years of playing football. This is something Adamle's family, friends, and co-workers have known for quite some time, but will be openly and publicly discussed for the very first time by him."

I hope he's okay but I am kinda upset they are using this for sweeps. Like "omg I'm going to die so tune in tomorrow and watch." They could've easily ran the story today. I hate that aspect of this.

• Like 3

Mike has dementia. They're still figuring out the severity of extent of CTE. He was previously diagnosed with epilepsy.

He can't drive. He won't return to work. He can barely remember his way home.

He's only 67. Damn.

Mike has dementia. They're still figuring out the severity of extent of CTE. He was previously diagnosed with epilepsy.

He can't drive. He won't return to work. He can barely remember his way home.

He's only 67. Damn.

Incredibly sad and hope he doesnt get worse. I didn't watch the interview but the article sums it up. He also has "dramatic mood swings, episodes of rage, depression, anxiety and memory loss".

The NFL definitely has to do more to address concussions and help their players.

• Like 3

I hope he's okay but I am kinda upset they are using this for sweeps. Like "omg I'm going to die so tune in tomorrow and watch." They could've easily ran the story today. I hate that aspect of this.

We don't have a complete picture. Maybe he wasn't in the best of health or ready to tell his story until now. That said, the timing could just be coincidental and not anything more than that. There have been two previous main sweeps periods (May & Nov. 2016) that have come and gone in which they could have aired this and did not. Let's not think the worse here.

• Like 1

We don't have a complete picture. Maybe he wasn't in the best of health or ready to tell his story until now. That said, the timing could just be coincidental and not anything more than that. There have been two previous main sweeps periods (May & Nov. 2016) that have come and gone in which they could have aired this and did not. Let's not think the worse here.

I saw the story and it was very sad. Its good that he was brave enough to share his story with the viewers. But I still will say that don't think that the station didn't use this as apart of their sweeps. That what happens but at least it helps others by learning something about CTE. I hope that things don't get any worse. Like someone said earlier, he's only 67.

• 3 weeks later...

The hits and absences keep coming. Rob Stafford has been diagnosed with an incurable kidney disease and related rare blood disorder. He will undergo a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy at the Mayo Clinic. Dick Johnson will be the primary substitute while Rob is out for SEVERAL months.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/03/01/nbc-5s-rob-stafford-taking-leave-bone-marrow-transplant/

They really need to fill that 4pm anchor slot.

The hits and absences keep coming. Rob Stafford has been diagnosed with an incurable kidney disease and related rare blood disorder. He will undergo a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy at the Mayo Clinic. Dick Johnson will be the primary substitute while Rob is out for SEVERAL months.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/03/01/nbc-5s-rob-stafford-taking-leave-bone-marrow-transplant/

They really need to fill that 4pm anchor slot.

Now that they are down to Dick and Alex, they really have no choice but to find someone fast. Either look for Christian to fill in for Dick on the weekends or a lot of solo anchoring going on. All the best to Rob during his recovery.

Expected, but well-deserved. Siafa was a real trooper during Mike's time off. Make's you wonder what becomes of the weekend shift. Does Blanzy continue, or does Berman get the nod?

Jeff will likely continue in his role as an in-studio anchor with Mike (like Peggy before him) doing more reporting than anchoring. I don't think Jeff has ever done anything outside the studio, so I wouldn't expect that to change. Peggy may even be called upon to help than they originally planned.

• Like 2

The only hang-up with Christian is if he's getting any kind of extended paternity leave. It's an increasingly popular practice in any business, so him being gone for more than a few weeks is a possibility, too.

The only hang-up with Christian is if he's getting any kind of extended paternity leave. It's an increasingly popular practice in any business, so him being gone for more than a few weeks is a possibility, too.

Yeah..given this isn't his and Karen's first child, he may not take a lot of time off. Honestly, they need him back as soon as possible. Dick is going to need some time off and so will Alex. They could go the two-female anchor or sole anchor route (from time to time), but that's not a good long-term strategy.

• Like 1

I feared the worst when I noticed Rob Stafford taking most of January and February off. He was basically only around for the inauguration and for sweeps. The first thing that came to mind was a medical issue, and it's scary to have those fears confirmed. All the best to Rob. I hope all goes well.

I feared the worst when I noticed Rob Stafford taking most of January and February off. He was basically only around for the inauguration and for sweeps. The first thing that came to mind was a medical issue, and it's scary to have those fears confirmed. All the best to Rob. I hope all goes well.

I remember him being off to recover from a foot/ankle injury, coming back and then taking more time off very soon thereafter because of that injury. Hopefully he takes all the necessary time needed to fully recover (even if that means not returning until Jan. '18). No need to rush back.

Is there an occasion for the pink bug tonight? Also, surprised to see the weather on the bug.

GkTdSQh.jpg

EDIT: Looks like there's major tech problems. After the A-block, the LIVE bug remained on the screen during the first two commercials before being removed. Now the bug has been completely gone for the B-block and the C-block. There's also been prompter issues. Lauren had to read from the papers on the desk for the last few minutes of the A-block. Perhaps the pink bug was the result of these many technical issues?

EDIT 2: The Sports Sunday teaser froze. The audio was playing, but the video was completely frozen. They immediately bailed out and played the show open. After that, the bug finally came back, this time in standard colors. The weather was gone, but the time and temp were still top-aligned with a large blank area below it. Going into the first commercial break, the bug remained on the screen for a while during the first commercial before they finally pulled it down.