Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

• 5 weeks later...

The same week that WLS modified their on-air look, WMAQ also made one slight change by eliminating the rotating weather info below the current time and temp. The time and temp are now centered in that region instead of being near the top. I'm pretty sure WMAQ made this change on Monday.

WMAQ played rotating anchors today. Alex Maragos anchored at 4pm with Marion Brooks. Dick Johnson then joined her at 5pm. At 6 it was Dick Johnson and Lauren Jiggetts. Then at 10 it was Allison and Dick. WMAQ is in desperate need of male anchors but seems to be in no hurry to find any.

• Like 1

for those of you watching how do you rate the new meterologist on the weekend am shows in terms of her forecast, delivery etc.

I would give her a C+. There's some stuff she needs to work on and it appears that she hasn't really settled in yet (there's a bit of awkwardness between her and the rest of the team). I'm sure things will get better over time.

• 2 weeks later...

WMAQ's President and GM is now taking over the same role for their Telemundo sister station WSNS. He's replacing Chris McDonnell, who led Telemundo Chicago since 2002, who left the company. The plan is to save money and increase efficiencies.

I think this may be the third NBC/Telemundo duop that shares GMs the other two being WCAU/WWSI in Philadelphia and KNTV/KSTS serving the Bay Area. In Miami WTVJ/WSCV will soon be sharing a VP from WMAQ to serve as a VP Director of Digital Operations.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/11/11/nbc-5-boss-david-doebler-adds-telemundo-station/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You beat me to it. Such a clean package made to look like garbage when you let the affiliate take creative liberties. Two main gripes...

1. All that text squished into that small black space? There's enough room below the single line that they could've added a second line.
  2. As much as they experimented with that silly info bar on the top of the screen at launch, why was it not designed to accommodate this type of info. It would seem like a perfect use for it.
  3. (2 and a half) Related to #2, it's 2016, figure out a way to not squish the main video. Shrink it or something, but disproportionately condensing it looks like crap.

638701358_bandicam2016-12-1422-02-56-970.thumb.png.08f037a250072de6241415f97b8e1224.png

You beat me to it. Such a clean package made to look like garbage when you let the affiliate take creative liberties. Two main gripes...

1. All that text squished into that small black space? There's enough room below the single line that they could've added a second line.
  2. As much as they experimented with that silly info bar on the top of the screen at launch, why was it not designed to accommodate this type of info. It would seem like a perfect use for it.
  3. (2 and a half) Related to #2, it's 2016, figure out a way to not squish the main video. Shrink it or something, but disproportionately condensing it looks like crap.

[ATTACH=full]3524[/ATTACH]

It looks like it's the old ticker. With the last package didn't they shrink the video frame in its entirety to where the program is shrunken but with a U shaped background with the ticker at the bottom.

Rant:

As to the shrinking you should see what WBAL does. They are the king of shrinking the frame locally. The shrink the picture's height and still push a decent chunk of it off the top of the screen. Meanwhile the space that was pushed off the screen could have remained in place with all the blank space they have at the bottom.

Then occasionally we get monstrosities such as this:

[MEDIA=twitter]421443673587322880[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This Saturday Night is the biggest New Year's eve party in Chicago today, entitled "Chi-Town Rising". Channel 5 will be back to broadcast the NYE event Live as like did to last year, which is became the highest rated NYE event despite the hosting complaints and the video production errors. Weekend morning Traffic reporter Marley Kayden will be back as co-host for that event, Some NBC5 on-air talent will appeared on the broadcast will include Fill-in Sports anchor Siafa Lewis who co-host the broadcast alongside Sheinelle Jones from NBC News and MSNBC, Weekday morning Traffic reporter Kye Martin, Weekend evening Meteorologist Alicia Roman and 11:00 am Meteorologist Bryon Miranda.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8631-nbc-5-telemundo-chicago-s-chi-town-rising-2016-2017-broadcasts-set

Any other NBC affils airing "Chi-Town Rising" after NBC's NYE coverage?

The only two I saw from the guides are WTMJ & KXAS. COZI is also simulcasting as well.

At the top of the show, they mentioned Dallas (KXAS), Memphis (WMC), Minnesota (KARE), and Milwaukee (WTMJ)

I don't know how they did it but, against all odds, they managed to make this show even worse. It was just sooooo boring. Siafa and Shinelle were quite dull as hosts, and there was absolutely no chemistry between them, or any of the talent. None of them wanted to be there. The musical offerings were very weak, so bad that they even cut to a pre-taped Blake Shelton concert in LA for a while. I was switching back and forth with ABC7, which was also a train wreck (as usual), but at least they seem to be having fun and actually put together an entertaining show...

• Like 3

I don't know how they did it but, against all odds, they managed to make this show even worse. It was just sooooo boring. Siafa and Shinelle were quite dull as hosts, and there was absolutely no chemistry between them, or any of the talent. None of them wanted to be there. The musical offerings were very weak, so bad that they even cut to a pre-taped Blake Shelton concert in LA for a while. I was switching back and forth with ABC7, which was also a train wreck (as usual), but at least they seem to be having fun and actually put together an entertaining show...

Couldn't agree more. I tuned-in having missed it last year expecting to see something good since it managed to beat Channel 7 right out of the gate (ratings wise). BUT IT WAS THE WORST TELEVISION EVER. How the hell could this beat Ch. 7?! Even in it's first year?! I mean, yeah, Channel 7 NYE sucks too, but in a reliable, endearing sorta way - mainly, namely, Mark and Janet. And until there's ever an actual better alternative, that's who I want to see on New Year's Eve.

Couldn't agree more. I tuned-in having missed it last year expecting to see something good since it managed to beat Channel 7 right out of the gate (ratings wise). BUT IT WAS THE WORST TELEVISION EVER. How the hell could this beat Ch. 7?! Even in it's first year?! I mean, yeah, Channel 7 NYE sucks too, but in a reliable, endearing sorta way - mainly, namely, Mark and Janet. And until there's ever an actual better alternative, that's who I want to see on New Year's Eve.

I hate to tell all of you this....

All these locally produced NYE shows now suck pretty much for all the same reason.

Most of these productions no longer allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages during the show. So they have turned into super lame affairs. Sure they slip the talent some booze...but the "fun" of working (production crew) those shows is now gone since the HR goons ruined it for everyone. Now it's just a bunch of miserable union hacks trying to grab what little overtime is still available.

Oh BTW...

Those holiday "full credit rolls" had to be negotiated by various broadcasting unions (NABET,IBEW,AFTRA-SAG etc..) because they take up valuable airtime that can be used to generate revenue.

Ho Ho Ho Headbangers!

• Like 4

Siafa and Shinelle had no chemistry given they have never worked together and likely met a few hrs. before the broadcast. It seems like they picked these two out of thin air and said this can work. I'm surprised they didn't just pay someone from Chicago Fire, PD, Med or Justice to host and be done with it. Maybe next year. I agree the musical acts were very, very weak and without question, no thought was put into this. You have a freaking year to prepare and this is the best you can do? Shameful.

• Like 2