Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Feder posted that WMAQ is going to launch it's hourly 4pm newscast this August.

And here's the shocker. Feder also stated that Extra is expected to be moved to WFLD.

It seemed like a no brainer to expand to 4pm. I'm kind of surprised they didn't move Extra to 11:30am (and cut the midday news in half).

I also wonder if WMAQ is getting AHLive as a replacement for Meredith.

Any chance they give the 4 PM to Byron Miranda and have Brant start at 5? Always seemed weird to me that Byron is only on the air for an hour every day except for when Brant is off.

I'm all for it.

Any chance they give the 4 PM to Byron Miranda and have Brant start at 5? Always seemed weird to me that Byron is only on the air for an hour every day except for when Brant is off.

Apparently, someone hasn't been keeping the bios up to date/fully accurate. Byron's bio lists him as the meteorologist for the 11A and 4:30P newscasts. Now before he left in the early '00s, he did appear on two newscasts, but I think the times were different back then (Noon/4:30P). Also, Brant's bio says he is the meteorologist for the 4P, 5P, 6P and 10P newscasts. Nevertheless, it's likely that Byron will in fact pick up the 4P in August.

Sure, it's easy to cobble one of these together from random head shots, but I can't remember ever seeing a station actively promote an incomplete news team.

AM-TM__722X406_KZA.png

From NBCChicago.com

An Incomplete news team...They broke so much news...they just broke.

1141071047_BrokenNewsteam.thumb.JPG.cd62599a8adae3c8564d831004d6b30f.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
are they ever gonna sort out their teams cause how long has the 4:30 male position not been filled?

Over 14 months. One would think they'll have it figured out by the 4pm launch in August...September...August? I forget.

Maybe they'll have a morning/midday co-anchor by then, too.

Lietner's (former) position has been posted too, so they have 3 on-air spots to fill. No justifiable reason why the anchor positions haven't been filled. I guess they think the next Ron Magers is out there somewhere or something.

Lietner's (former) position has been posted too, so they have 3 on-air spots to fill. No justifiable reason why the anchor positions haven't been filled. I guess they think the next Ron Magers is out there somewhere or something.

Or real-life Ron Magers, in the flesh. That would be a bit of a curveball. :D

I am kidding, though. Not happening.

Or real-life Ron Magers, in the flesh. That would be a bit of a curveball. :D

I am kidding, though. Not happening.

Never say never....They would jump at the chance to get him back (in any role). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they ask him to be a guest on Election Night. Given that it will be a historic night (regardless of who wins), how could he say no?

Heck, they probably could get Dick Kay to show up too.

• 3 weeks later...
whos out the door byron or pete?

Wow...this is totally out of the blue. Both Andy and Pete own their own respective businesses, so either one could be looking to cut back/retire. Byron has only been back at WMAQ for less than 2yrs., so I would rule him out (unless of course he wants to head back to the West Coast).

I guess we will find out soon enough. Hopefully, they say what the deal is soon. If it's Andy, Alicia is likely to move into his spot with Kalee taking over weekend duties.

Does Pete currently work full-time behind the scenes, or is he just part-time or per diem?

He's part-time. I think they still have him visit schools and such during the week too.

• Like 3

Since NBC 5 is unsure when Mike Adamle with return, they're bringing in 4 familiar faces to fill some weekend shifts. They are Pat Boyle and Chris Boden from CSN, Laurence Holmes from 670 The Score, and Jeff Blanzy, 11-year veteran of ABC 7. Boyle and Holmes have filled in on WMAQ before, Boden once worked at CBS 2, has Blanzy hasn't been on the air since 2009.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/06/08/robservations-police-hire-robin-robinson-as-special-adviser/

Why not just hire Blanzy on a part-time/per diem basis? There's really no need to have 4 people filling in. Boden worked at WFLD also right before, I believe, he went to CSN. Holmes isn't any good and the same can be said of Boyle.

Why not just hire Blanzy on a part-time/per diem basis? There's really no need to have 4 people filling in. Boden worked at WFLD also right before, I believe, he went to CSN. Holmes isn't any good and the same can be said of Boyle.

I'm beginning to think they just have no idea how to fill a vacancy over there.

I was thinking the same thing about Blanzy. I agree about Holmes, though I actually don't mind Boyle. This just proves that management has no idea what's going to happen with Mike, despite the speculation that he'd be back "by the end of month". That was rumored in April, May, and June, yet here we are.

I'm not a big Adamle fan at the desk, but he seems like a good guy, and I feel for him. That said, you have to wonder if he'll ever return. Frankly, I hope he does, if only because that means he's getting better.