Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Robert Feder says that Katie Kim was now officially promoted as weekend morning anchor alongside Susan Carlson.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/09/06/robservations-nbc-5-names-katie-kim-weekend-morning-anchor/

Congrats to Kim. Still can't understand why it takes, in this case, 5 months to name her weekend morning anchor.

Congrats to Kim. Still can't understand why it takes, in this case, 5 months to name her weekend morning anchor.

Michelle left that shift like a year and a half ago to join Dick, but wasn't announced until early this year, and this is the station that took 2 years and 3 months to replace Rob Elgas at 4:30(/4). Nothing surprises me.

Michelle left that shift like a year and a half ago to join Dick, but wasn't announced until early this year, and this is the station that took 2 years and 3 months to replace Rob Elgas at 4:30(/4). Nothing surprises me.

As much as I have criticized Jiggets, Elgas, and others for jumping ship, I now understand why they left. WMAQ seems to have trouble truly valuing their people.

• Like 5

Rob Stafford, Allison Rosati and Brant Miller was doing the 10pm newscast following the Bears/Packers game last night. Siafa Lewis was also doing it and he did also doing the Bears pre-game show and "Sports Sunday". It is reminding me when Rosati and Warner Saunders doing the 10pm sunday newscasts during the 2006 NFL season 12 years ago.

• Like 2

I haven't watched too many WMAQ newscasts lately since I no longer work at a place that has it on their TV 24/7, but last week, I noticed that instead of live camera views on their video wall, they've been using stock photos of the skyline. Is this standard now, and how long has it been going on?

I haven't watched too many WMAQ newscasts lately since I no longer work at a place that has it on their TV 24/7, but last week, I noticed that instead of live camera views on their video wall, they've been using stock photos of the skyline. Is this standard now, and how long has it been going on?

Month or two? Not too long.

• 5 weeks later...
That's sad to hear! Was Warner lead anchor before or after Ron Magers NBC 5 career?

After Ron left for WLS. Which was part of the reason Mark Suppelsa left for WFLD.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Five years after they vacated the spot, one could say that NBC 5 finally had their own studio car crash. This is the corner of the building housed "Studio 5" for almost a decade.

401+Michigan+Car+Into+Building+-+Martinez+-+16261716_341193761.jpg

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Car-Drives-Through-Pioneer-Court-Smashes-into-Building-Near-Michigan-Avenue-498058571.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

Five years after they vacated the spot, one could say that NBC 5 finally had their own studio car crash.

401+Michigan+Car+Into+Building+-+Martinez+-+16261716_341193761.jpg

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Car-Drives-Through-Pioneer-Court-Smashes-into-Building-Near-Michigan-Avenue-498058571.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

I guess some old habits never die at NBC...

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out that Alicia Roman is pregnant and due in February. She made it public in August, but I haven't been watching the station much as of late.

[MEDIA=twitter]1034214347474497536[/MEDIA]

I'm sure Pete Sack will cover weekend evenings, but I'm curious how they'll cover the weekday Monday and Tuesday 11am shifts since Pete is usually working his teaching job. Maybe move Kalee to Monday-Friday and try to get Pete to cover all weekend morning and evening shifts? Maybe find a freelancer to cover gaps as needed? Maybe get Andy to stay later on Mondays and Tuesdays so that Kalee can just stay on her normal shift?

• Like 1

I just found out that Alicia Roman is pregnant and due in February. She made it public in August, but I haven't been watching the station much as of late.

[MEDIA=twitter]1034214347474497536[/MEDIA]

I'm sure Pete Sack will cover weekend evenings, but I'm curious how they'll cover the weekday Monday and Tuesday 11am shifts since Pete is usually working his teaching job. Maybe move Kalee to Monday-Friday and try to get Pete to cover all weekend morning and evening shifts? Maybe find a freelancer to cover gaps as needed? Maybe get Andy to stay later on Mondays and Tuesdays so that Kalee can just stay on her normal shift?

I would assume they try to keep everything the same (as best they could), but having Pete doing dd on weekends and Kalee M-F @11A would probably be the best solution. I think the sticking points would be if someone is sick/needs a day off and how long Alicia will be away. This is her first child I believe, so I'm guessing at least 2 months off (barring any medical issues. etc...).

I don't know the kind of time off she'd be allowed, for the different circumstances, but they, in fact, might be down 2 meteorologists for a stretch. (Original caption mentioned a pending adoption by Kalee and her husband.)

[MEDIA=instagram]BqMC9_1lC4W[/MEDIA]

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad news. channel 5's traffic data and production services provider US Traffic Network (USTN) was closed this past weekend. they are also affecting rivals channel 7 & 9 due to USTN's closure. https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/12/03/robservations-nexstar-acquire-wgn-tribune-media-deal/

• Like 1

Tonight, we saw the difference when the Bears are scheduled to be on SNF from the beginning of the year versus a flexed SNF appearance. The previous two Bears appearances on SNF were scheduled when the season started, so WMAQ had their weekday team on the Sunday night newscast after the game.

Tonight's game was flexed to Sunday Night Football about 4 weeks ago. With such comparatively short notice, WMAQ did not have their weeknight crew tonight. However, with Michelle Relerford still on maternity leave, they did have Marion Brooks co-anchor tonight so that they wouldn't have a solo newscast like they've been doing on weekends for the past three months.