Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

I’m not too big on JC. He just doesn’t really suit the weekday slot.

I didn’t mind Patrick being a fill-in for the last year, Michelle has been doing a good job with mornings even after Andy and Zoraida left she’s keeping it up!

I agree with the part that Management might as well place Patrick back in the 4 and place him on the 5 (A Mark Suppelsa type of move maybe)

Stefan would move to the 5pm and 6pm in addition to the 10pm he already has to line up with Allison. Patrick taking back the 4pm to line up with Marion. I think JC is fine in the mornings. As for Alex, I can see him going network as he is a great anchor and reporter. 

What I would like see is Kate Chappell reassigned to just reporting. Her anchoring is stale and she sounds like she's a robot and yet she is a weekend anchor and fill in weeknight anchor. 

I'm not sure if Paul Deanno is leaving or not as he hasn't made an announcement and only FTV live has mentioned it. If so, this is a huge loss for the station as he NBC 5's version of Larry Mowry.  

Edited by WeatherandTraffic
Grammar error

3 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Here is Phil's send off from the 6pm show. I will miss his style of reporting. 

I had the pleasure of meeting him many years ago for a story he was working on for WMAQ. This is a huge loss for them (and for the Chicago market). Truly, one-of-a-kind.

3 hours ago, R.R. said:

Alex will be returning to his 11am seat alongside Marion and will be taking on the news at 4.

900B7433-0A36-4D9E-94A3-B7256AD8A34E.thumb.jpeg.d0cc84305a6e282b498d21c1d9aed17f.jpeg

Well deserved for Alex, but Patrick gets demoted once again. To go from weekday afternoon and main fill in evening anchor to midday/morning anchor to midday anchor to reporting in less than 2.5 years shows the lack of confidence the management has in him. I can totally see Patrick leaving this year. For a station to go from a very competitive station to almost surrendering with a white flag is sad. NBC 5 used to be a powerhouse station.

3 hours ago, R.R. said:

Only to be reassigned to weekends. I feel sorry for Patrick

3A9DBCA8-81B2-4409-A2F2-91BBFEB3E216.jpeg

What a load of bs. Patrick is a better person than I because I would have quit. Clearly he isn't valued there. None of these recent moves make sense at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Dang! I love Lisa's Target5/NBC 5 Responds reports. She is a great journalist with great reporting techniques. I will miss her reports. Man, they are starting to dwindle at NBC 5. Wonder who will fill that spot for consumer type reports now?

One thing I have also noticed is Patrick Fazio has done a few NBC 5 Investigates pieces. I wonder if he is shifting to more of that type of reporting now that Rob Stafford and Phil Rogers have retired or he is just the face delivering the report. 

36 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Dang! I love Lisa's Target5/NBC 5 Responds reports. She is a great journalist with great reporting techniques. I will miss her reports. Man, they are starting to dwindle at NBC 5. Wonder who will fill that spot for consumer type reports now?

One thing I have also noticed is Patrick Fazio has done a few NBC 5 Investigates pieces. I wonder if he is shifting to more of that type of reporting now that Rob Stafford and Phil Rogers have retired or he is just the face delivering the report. 

Patrick could take on a more active role with NBC 5 Investigates. If I’m not mistaken, he is (was) an award-winning investigative reporter before joining WMAQ, so it would be a perfect fit for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Georgie56 said:

And he will be taking over on weekend mornings, starting next week, I think? Pretty much, anyway, as Iisha Scott's baby is due within 3 weeks, and when she returns, she will be moving to 11am & 4pm with Alex and Marion.

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

And he will be taking over on weekend mornings, starting next week, I think? Pretty much, anyway, as Iisha Scott's baby is due within 3 weeks, and when she returns, she will be moving to 11am & 4pm with Alex and Marion.

Surprised they promoted Scott to weekdays. Weekend mornings (or weekends in general) tend to be where mets at WMAQ languish for eternity until they quit. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Correction: Only Stefan Holt anchored the 5 and 10pm. Allison was off. Stefan said at the end of the 10pm that he would be there for Sunday. Allison may join him this time as NASCAR will be broadcast on NBC.  I'm assuming they are treating this as any other big sports event that airs on the weekend and they'll have the main anchors on. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

Big moves for the station. They hire 3 personalities in the past month.

1. Sally Ramirez, producer of the now cancelled CNBC show "The News with Shepard Smith" has appointing as the station's SVP for News, while Assistant News Director Akemi Harrison was moved up to being the News Director last April. Both of which they succeeding both Frank Whitaker, who is retired last year, and Princell Hair when he takes over as president for the station group run by Bryon Allen.

2. Former NBCU employee and current Communications and Media and Events Manager for the nonprofit  Midtown Education Foundation Jeff Nuich rejoined NBCU to become the stations' Press/Project Manager last June.

3. Lastly, PJ Randhawa, a reporter for KING-TV in Seattle has joined channel 5 as the Consumer Investigate Reporter, assuming from the now-retired Lisa Parker. PJ becomes the second Indian-American reporter and the first female Indian-American reporter of the station in its 75-year history.

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA