Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:38 PM, 24994J said:

NBC 5 is now a tie-optional operation, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

image.thumb.png.f77a569ba15a2a527f5dfc0366faaaef.png

Yeah... it's way too casual of a look for a news anchor (regardless of the time of day). Not sure if this is an attempt to appeal to a younger demo, but this isn't the way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, jase said:

Yeah... it's way too casual of a look for a news anchor (regardless of the time of day). Not sure if this is an attempt to appeal to a younger demo, but this isn't the way to do it.

I'm fine with it. The pandemic accelerated a lot of changes. Ties feel excessively formal and stuffy.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Yes.

They should have kept Patrick with Michelle rather than (unofficially) promoting JC. Not sure what the thought process is there (...if there is one).

14 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Also, Lauren Petty moved from reporting weekday mornings to full feature health reporter. WMAQ hasn't had that since Nesita Kwan  who left in 2015.

Solid choice.

1 minute ago, jase said:

They should have kept Patrick with Michelle rather than (unofficially) promoting JC. Not sure what the thought process is there (...if there is one).

Hell, I had pegged Evrod for the weekday slot. I'm sure J.C. is a swell fella, but screams small market. He came from El Paso, and was only anchoring Sunday mornings. Evrod comes with a solid reputation, with major market anchoring experience. Doesn't quite add up, to me.

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=535524711720557&set=a.149448953661470

JC Navarrete is the new morning anchor. 

6 minutes ago, jase said:

Solid choice.

I think when Stefan was brought back, I think they wanted to phase Patrick out. But when Zoraida was in and out a couple of times and then left, it delayed that. I wouldn't be surprise to see Patrick being let go at the end of his contract. 

Also, I said this before, still not impressed with Kate Chappell's anchoring. The need to find a stronger fill in anchor and have Kate just report.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/12/7/resurfacing-in-la

He's leaving for KCBS/KCAL. I really thought he was going to replace Brant Miller when he retires. So does Alicia move to the 11am and 4pm and be the main fill in for Brant and Iisha gets mornings, which he is pregnant btw. 

On 12/8/2022 at 9:21 AM, WeatherandTraffic said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/12/7/resurfacing-in-la

He's leaving for KCBS/KCAL. I really thought he was going to replace Brant Miller when he retires. So does Alicia move to the 11am and 4pm and be the main fill in for Brant and Iisha gets mornings, which he is pregnant btw. 

If true, they likely will find someone other than Alicia to succeed Paul at 11A & 4P. Brant doesn't appear to want to retire (maybe he's trying to outlast Skilling at WGN???) so whomever they hire would have to have a lot of patience. 

Edited by jase

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Next to Ron Magers and the late Warner Saunders; Rob Stafford is truly Chicago's best anchor at NBC 5.

Carol Marin and Floyd Kalber would like a word. Hell, Allison Rosati's 25 years as lead has her GOATed, to a degree.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

And another retirement. Phil Rogers will be leaving after 31 years at WMAQ on Friday. 

Not sure if he is part of the early retirement being offered as most of those were announced weeks ago. 

The investigative unit is taking a hit with Rob Stafford and now Phil Rogers gone. 

I would imagine Allison, Charlie and Mary Ann could be looking to retire as well in the next year or so. They don’t have a good reporter/anchor bench and the few solid people they do have could end up bailing for greener pastures. 

Interesting. I wonder what this means for Alex Maragos. With Rob retiring I wonder if he'll take over the 4pm. But I figured Patrick Fazio would be both 11am and 4pm with Marion.

Honestly I thought with WMAQ hiring Evrod Cassimy he would have went right to weekday mornings. I don't mind JC but he's more suited for reporting. 

They just need to revamp the morning anchors. Michelle should have stayed on Weekend nights. Now with Evrod moving to weekends they would be a great pairing. 

Bless their hearts, I've liked a lot of what management has been done at NBC 5, lately, but what the hell is their deal with male anchors? Can they just not leave anything alone for a few years, much less A FEW MONTHS? I know they need to name a 5 & 6pm assignment, but they always seem to feel the need to fiddle with things that aren't huge problems.

9 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Interesting. I wonder what this means for Alex Maragos. With Rob retiring I wonder if he'll take over the 4pm. But I figured Patrick Fazio would be both 11am and 4pm with Marion.

Honestly I thought with WMAQ hiring Evrod Cassimy he would have went right to weekday mornings. I don't mind JC but he's more suited for reporting. 

They just need to revamp the morning anchors. Michelle should have stayed on Weekend nights. Now with Evrod moving to weekends they would be a great pairing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Alex goes back to weekday mornings and JC goes back to Weekend mornings. I still think they may (or should) give the 4P back to Patrick. It would make the most sense to reset things, as best they can, back to what they were.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

Bless their hearts, I've liked a lot of what management has been done at NBC 5, lately, but what the hell is their deal with male anchors? Can they just not leave anything alone for a few years, much less A FEW MONTHS? I know they need to name a 5 & 6pm assignment, but they always seem to feel the need to fiddle with things that aren't huge problems.

Not just their male anchors, but their anchor pairings in general. I don't think they realize (or care) that all the unnecessary upheaval has taken a toll over the years. Hard to keep viewers interested/invested when there's constant change.

2 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like Frank Whittaker VP of News at WMAQ is also retiring this week. He's been there for 26 years. 

Hopefully, the next ND/Station Manager will be willing to shake things up a bit. WMAQ has been way too complacent over the years. I miss the days when they were competitive with WLS. These days, they seem happy to just be in 2nd (or 3rd) place.

• Like 1