Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Something tells me WMAQ isn't going to get a weather center any time soon. They've finally started using this area over the past few weeks for stand ups in addition to the other side of the studio. I've notice weather has only been done by chroma key. Another thing when Leila is done with sports she joins Rob, Allison and Stefan at the desk but in the evenings the meteorologists still do not. Just found it a little odd if you have one but not the other at the end of the newscast or after their report. 

WMAQ Set.jpg

28 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Is the main anchor desk the only surviving piece from 2012 remaining in the studio? I think everything else has been replaced one or more times now, right?

Yup!

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

Is the main anchor desk the only surviving piece from 2012 remaining in the studio? I think everything else has been replaced one or more times now, right?

And the only modification on the desk is that it has wheels.

3 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

Why do they settle for such a cramped little set? They should go back to the 1989 open newsroom.

During the later years of the open newsroom set, it always looked super empty in the area behind the anchor desk; kinda sad looking for a "newsroom" set.

Also, I feel like in the modern news era, big video walls are the thing for everyone. I personally am not a fan of having anchors shoved right up against a big video wall with no physical set visible in their solo shots, but alas...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow. Im pleasantly surprised how nice the new NBC 5 set looks. They actually put in some effort. Also they are using some camera pans and movement.(Lets see if it continues after today) I havent seen a full wide shot. But I do like the outcome. Its mostly screens as we thought but the surrounding bits are nice. The desk is great. And the lighting is typical NBC. Top Notch.  I HATE THE VIEW OF MICHIGAN AVE BRIDGE. Its horrible and it bounces. NBC 5 uses possible the worst camera. Low Quality and bouncy. I feels like you are watching the news on a cruise ship. Horrible. I dont know why they like that shot but it needs to go

Edited by mouseboy33
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Recently, the official program of this year's Chicago Marathon has using Stefan Holt and Allison Rosati again for the second year in their ad placement. Brant Miller and Leila Rahimi is not involved in the ad, but it also bearing the NBC 5 logo with the URL link and the title of "NBC 5 Chicago News at 10". 

https://issuu.com/cemevent/docs/2022_bank_of_america_chicago_marathon_program/87

stefanandallisonchimarathon2022.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like Patrick Fazio is off the morning shift and will only be on at 11am with Marion Brooks. I haven't seen an announcement for a new morning anchor so I wonder if it's in-house musical chairs. I was really starting to like Michelle and Patrick in the morning. Patrick can be quite funny however the chemistry was a little off with Michelle. I still think Michelle is best suited for evening/10pm news. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=491049226172733&set=a.144880187456307

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like Patrick Fazio is off the morning shift and will only be on at 11am with Marion Brooks. I haven't seen an announcement for a new morning anchor so I wonder if it's in-house musical chairs. I was really starting to like Michelle and Patrick in the morning. Patrick can be quite funny however the chemistry was a little off with Michelle. I still think Michelle is best suited for evening/10pm news. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=491049226172733&set=a.144880187456307

I can't help but notice that in his goodbye message along with that photo, he says "Thanks for letting me fill in with you Michelle Relerford Kye Martin Iisha Scott Alicia Roman"

Is he implying that his tenure on the show was never intended to be permanent? Looking back on Feder's old posts, I only see that it says he was named 11am anchor back in 2020, but never a mention of him being named official morning anchor after Zoraida left.

It's weird to start changing it up when a new permanent anchor hasn't been announced.

6 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like Patrick Fazio is off the morning shift and will only be on at 11am with Marion Brooks.

Let’s be real now, remember how they waited nearly a year to hire a 4pm anchor to co-anchor alongside Marion (Patrick). He wouldn’t be the first person to be an interim for nearly a year in the morning or any other newscast at NBC 5. 

Also his bio on the website never confirmed permanency of Patrick on the morning newscast.

Quick fact: Currently no one has been able to break Sambolin's record of long-running morning anchor at NBC 5.

6 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Well Evrod Cassimy maybe his replacement. He will be joining WMAQ later in the year as an anchor. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/station/2022/09/22/morning-anchor-evrod-cassimy-leaving-wdiv-after-9-years/

Good find. Definitely interesting timing on this.

1 minute ago, Spring Rubber said:

Good find. Definitely interesting timing on this.

Let’s just hope the viewers don’t have a hissy fit 😂. You know how it goes when they hire someone born in the city from another news town

He has a nice warm easy going anchoring style that fits a big market. Seems like a good find. They had made some seriously dubious anchor choices with Kate Chappel, JC Navarrettte, and Patrick Fasio. This guy seems to have a nice big city anchor gravitas WMAQ is sorely lacking at moment. I dont know who's been seeking talent but they have made some major fumbles with Fasio. Maybe they are hoping he leaves or stick him in the field. Some journalists are better reporters than anchors.

Edited by mouseboy33

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I noticed WMAQ doesn't have time and temp running during syndicated programming anymore. I wonder why.

Yes. That practice of removing time and temp from the bug which is began last year, after the station changing their news graphics. The time and temp placement on the bug during syndie programming was began in 1995 after the station changing its branding to "NBC 5 Chicago" or "NBC 5". The time and temp on the bug will continue to use on all of its newscasts.

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

• 3 weeks later...