Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

4 hours ago, LinCruzChicagoNYLA said:

Actually Stefan did replacing Rob Elgas which he moved to the 4:30pm newscast until he leaved the station in 2015. 

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Not true. Rob left in early 2015, and his 4pm chair remained a cycle of Dick and Rob for like a year until they brought in Patrick Fazio. Stefan was Marion's co-anchor when the 11am news was relaunched.

Didn’t Rob used to anchor in the mornings before anchoring the 4:30pm? I think mornings he was replaced by Stefan is what was being referenced. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Didn’t Rob used to anchor in the mornings before anchoring the 4:30pm? I think mornings he was replaced by Stefan is what was being referenced. 

Yes he did anchor mornings with Zoraida, before then he was weekend mornings with Ellee Pai Hong and Anita Padilla

• 4 weeks later...

"Jeff Blanzy, Mike Berman and Leila will split the sports anchoring duties [...] The exact rotation will be determined shortly."

That doesn't suggest that any rotation will be permanent, so after a handful of stable years, we're back to the platoon sports schedule...AGAIN. Greeeeaaaaaat. 🙄

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

"Jeff Blanzy, Mike Berman and Leila will split the sports anchoring duties [...] The exact rotation will be determined shortly."

That doesn't suggest that any rotation will be permanent, so after a handful of stable years, we're back to the platoon sports schedule...AGAIN. Greeeeaaaaaat. 🙄

Indeed, isn't it lovely? How much you want to bet they spend another few years in rotation mode now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Indeed, isn't it lovely? How much you want to bet they spend another few years in rotation mode now.

In before the speculation that NBC5's sportscasts will be farmed out to NBC Sports Chicago, as has been the rumor for a decade or more.

And I can't imagine that Giangreco wants to return to the evening grind. Everything I've seen from him on Twitter (and conversations he'd have on radio) points to him being content in his forced (semi-)retirement. If he returns anywhere, he'd want to be on his own terms, with flexibility to be himself. The tight, 2-3 minute sportcast, just giving the scores with little room for fun was not particularly enjoyable, anymore.

Mark is having a field day on Twitter. He already addressed that he was going to just live life (in an interview). If he does ever make a comeback into the biz he’ll reveal it. In all honesty he didn’t wanna leave NBC 5 all those years ago, knowing he was leaving his colleagues/friends.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:57 PM, R.R. said:

Mark is having a field day on Twitter. He already addressed that he was going to just live life (in an interview). If he does ever make a comeback into the biz he’ll reveal it. In all honesty he didn’t wanna leave NBC 5 all those years ago, knowing he was leaving his colleagues/friends.

You are right especially with his shots fired at a certain ditzy lady

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that Channel 5 is probably going to be the only station with local New Year's coverage this year.

WMAQ will have their New Year's Eve special "A Very Chicago New Year" hosted by Chicago Today hosts Cortney Hall and Matthew Rodrigues.

Former WLS-TV stablemates Janet Davies & Mark Giangreco will be special guests for the special.

This will be the first time Mark appeared on Channel 5 in over 27 years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It seems that Channel 5 is probably going to be the only station with local New Year's coverage this year.

Not at all. ABC7 and WGN still have shows  Feder had the wrap-up of all 3 stations' line-ups. As for Janet and Mark, good for them. I can't stand Rodrigues and Hall, though, so I'll stick with 7 for the live show, and DVR 5.

41 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Not at all. ABC7 and WGN still have shows  Feder had the wrap-up of all 3 stations' line-ups. As for Janet and Mark, good for them. I can't stand Rodrigues and Hall, though, so I'll stick with 7 for the live show, and DVR 5.

I must've missed something, because I checked the TVPassport & the station guides I didn't see anything on 7.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 24994J said:

Anchors moving further apart right now is nothing new, but after doing that the other day, NBC 5 is apparently testing solo-anchored shows. Marion Brooks was alone at 4, and now Natalie Martinez is solo at 5.

WCAU is doing this as well, both last week and this week. 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the Chicago Marathon 2021 Results Book online, and there's the ad promoting the 10PM newscast featuring Stefan and Allison (minus Brant) that is saying "CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONERS!", but they lacking the 2012 NBC 5 Chicago logo. take a look at the picture.

stefanandallisoncongratsrunners.jpg

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just 2 years ago, Leila Rahimi was swept out at NBC Sports Chicago. Last year, she joined 670 The Score as midday co-host. Last fall, she hopped on with NBC 5 to fill in some shifts after Siafa Lewis' exit. Now, his lead chair belongs to her. Mike Berman continues on Saturdays, and with Rahimi on Sports Sunday, while Jeff Blanzy is down to just Friday nights.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/03/22/nbc-5-names-leila-rahimi-main-sports-anchor/

Edited by 24994J

9 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Just 2 years ago, Leila Rahimi was swept out at NBC Sports Chicago. Last year, she joined 670 The Score as midday co-host. Last fall, she hopped on with NBC 5 to fill in some shifts after Siafa Lewis' exit. Now, his lead chair belongs to her. Mike Berman continues on Saturdays, and with Rahimi on Sports Sunday, while Jeff Blanzy is down to just Friday nights.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/03/22/nbc-5-names-leila-rahimi-main-sports-anchor/

I believe she’s also the first woman to hold the role of sports director/main sports anchor in Chicago TV history.

25 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I believe she’s also the first woman to hold the role of sports director/main sports anchor in Chicago TV history.

Jack, Bill, Johnny, Greg, Tim, Chet, Al, Mark, Dan, Bruce, Corey, Jon, Mike, other Mark, other other Mark, Darrian, Ryan, Lou, Jim, Marshall, just to name a few.

And Leila. You're totally right.

Edited by 24994J
  • Thanks 1