Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

That certainly explains why they were using the green screen as the backdrop for sports and other standups. This should give them plenty of space to work on introducing AR weather effects. WLS had that cornered in the market (quality notwithstanding), until abandoning it during the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, 24994J said:

That certainly explains why they were using the green screen as the backdrop for sports and other standups. This should give them plenty of space to work on introducing AR weather effects. WLS had that cornered in the market (quality notwithstanding), until abandoning it during the pandemic.

At first I thought it was AR. But the floor kind of gave that away then I became curious to where in the studio this actually could be. The only other big area they have in that studio is where the two green screens are but they cant get ride of those. 

I wonder if we'll ever get wide shots again tossing to sports or the toss from 4pm to 5pm. It would look cool with a nice background behind them. 

4 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

So the past couple of days (haven't watched the news in a few weeks) I've noticed a new area where the anchors present and was kind of shocked. It looks like they got rid of their stand up area completely and put in almost floor to ceiling screens. It's way better than what they had previously.

I found a video from Michelle Relerford's Facebook page from a couple of days ago that shows it not in use behind Patrick Fazzio. https://fb.watch/5CWcQP1K1b/

Also another video of the same area in the middle of April before the upgrade. https://fb.watch/5CWJZ_Cpam/

Now if they could just get a new desk their whole set would be completely upgraded from the 2012 debut. 

IMG_1439.JPEG

Not sure why they won’t just go ahead and do a complete overhaul of the set. It’s long overdue for a remodel.

Nevertheless, I like this new area.

Edited by jase

17 minutes ago, jase said:

Based off Michelle's video, this new space replaced the weather center and not the standup area on the opposite side of the studio. I haven't watched the news lately either, but I'm almost certain that this is where this is. Nevertheless, a huge improvement and I agree, a new desk is long overdue. 

Check the brief flash of the logo on the desk. It's a mirrored video.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Check the brief flash of the logo on the desk. It's a mirrored video.

You’re correct. Seems like a waste of money to only keep changing this part of the set and not the whole thing.

• 5 weeks later...

The station had new pictures of the 10pm team as seen in this year's program book of last night's UNCF "A Mind is..." gala. Stefan, Allison, Brant and Siafa are following the social distancing protocols in the photo, due to the COVID pandemic.

nbc5chicago10pm2021.jpg

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

As of the 4pm newscast,  NBC 5 has new graphics and updated music. Sounds like an update to the NBC O&O or different tracks. It's a little more upbeat. 

Graphics have similar elements of look N but everything is very flat. The bug is different. Animates between the NBC logo and the NBC 5. Seems to be a heavier emphasis on the NBC logo through out the graphics with the bug animation, transitions, and open. 

I've also noticed new lighting around the anchor desk. Now, if they could just get rid of that desk they'd have such an awesome look now. 

Attached are a few screen shots I took. 

10-dayforecast.gif

comingup.gif

doublebox.gif

L3.gif

L3-Live.gif

sky5.gif

transition.gif

5pm.gif

new.gif

sky5-2.gif

topical.gif

weather.gif

weather-2.gif

5pmopen-1.gif

5pmopen-2.gif

L3-Colorful.gif

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 1

I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice this looks compared to what I saw in the more dull NBC Boston open I posted in another thread. The new open music is, I believe, also the old WCAU open they used for a hot second (and that they continue to use for bumpers and what not). Rest in peace to the old theme I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

As of the 4pm newscast,  NBC 5 has new graphics and updated music. Sounds like an update to the NBC O&O or different tracks. It's a little more upbeat. 

Graphics have similar elements of look N but everything is very flat. The bug is different. Animates between the NBC logo and the NBC 5. Seems to be a heavier emphasis on the NBC logo through out the graphics with the bug animation, transitions, and open. 

I've also noticed new lighting around the anchor desk. Now, if they could just get rid of that desk they'd have such an awesome look now. 

Attached are a few screen shots I took. 

10-dayforecast.gif

comingup.gif

doublebox.gif

L3.gif

L3-Live.gif

sky5.gif

transition.gif

5pm.gif

new.gif

sky5-2.gif

topical.gif

weather.gif

weather-2.gif

5pmopen-1.gif

5pmopen-2.gif

L3-Colorful.gif

Shades of the necn look, which is quite impressive in and of itself. 

Well it has been about 5 years (Which is the time of updated opens). Looks pretty decent, so far, also it's been about 9 years since the set came into play, might be time for a change.

8 minutes ago, R.R. said:

Well it has been about 5 years (Which is the time of updated opens). Looks pretty decent, so far, also it's been about 9 years since the set came into play, might be time for a change.

Change what? Everything in that studio has been replaced multiple times in 9 years, except for the desk, which I agree could be switched out, but not if they go the standup lucite desk like WNBC. In that case, I'd keep what they have.

Oh, and 5 years just isn't accurate. They're on the clock alongside all NBC stations, in-line with the summer Olympic schedule.

33 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Change what? Everything in that studio has been replaced multiple times in 9 years, except for the desk, which I agree could be switched out, but not if they go the standup lucite desk like WNBC. In that case, I'd keep what they have.

Oh, and 5 years just isn't accurate. They're on the clock alongside all NBC stations, in-line with the summer Olympic schedule.

If you take a look at all of WMAQ's opens in the last two decades, it normally changes every 5-7 years. The other change I feel is needed is the desk mainly.

47 minutes ago, R.R. said:

If you take a look at all of WMAQ's opens in the last two decades, it normally changes every 5-7 years. The other change I feel is needed is the desk mainly.

WMAQ

• Novocom - 2000 (cannot find the exact date they switched)
  • Look A - August 15, 2005
  • Look F - February 28, 2012
  • Look N - June 28, 2016
  • Look S - June 21, 2021

NBC O&O's typically change their graphics every 4 years to coincide with the summer Olympic Games starting with Look C in 2008. 

• Look A - 2005-2008; WMAQ 2005-2012
  • Look C - 2008-2012
  • Look D - WNBC - 2008-2012
  • Look E -  KNSD - 2010-2012
  • Look F - 2012-2016
  • Look G - KXAS - 2012-2014?
  • Look N- 2016-2021
  • Look S - 2021-Present

Now some of these stations had different looks (WMAQ, WNBC, KXAS, KNSD) but since 2008 almost all have changed looks every 4 years, 5 with Look N due to the pandemic and the Olympics being moved to 2021. 

WMAQ did use look A the longest for 7 years. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

We're starting to see the difficulty of sports coverage now. WMAQ and WLS both won't break in for tornado warning coverage now because NBC has Olympic trials, and ABC has UEFA. Everyone else is breaking into their current programming.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Oh, come on. WLS has been in storm coverage since before both of you posted. Even then, WLS and WMAQ were doing pretty much the same style of coverage, and doing a satisfactory job of keeping updates coming, in any form. ABC 7 was maintaining a near-constant split screen with the soccer match, only bailing entirely to regroup and switch off talent. When not on, the ticker remained, just like NBC 5. CBS 2 was in a split with golf, as well.

• Like 1

CBS 2 broke in as soon as the tornado warnings were first issued . FOX 32 was on with Mark Strehl as well Kaitlyn and Mike joined soon thereafter. Channel 7 did not break in until WFLD confirmed there was a confirmed tornado over Beecher . WMAQ has a much stronger case because the Olympics are much more prestigious, and they were on in the heart of the danger, but WLS couldn’t break in for a soccer game come on…. WGN was on the whole time but coverage is weak.

1 minute ago, Newsboy22234 said:

CBS 2 broke in as soon as the tornado warnings were first issued . FOX 32 was on with Mark Strehl as well Kaitlyn and Mike joined soon thereafter. Channel 7 did not break in until WFLD confirmed there was a confirmed tornado over Beecher . WMAQ has a much stronger case because the Olympics are much more prestigious, and they were on in the heart of the danger, but WLS couldn’t break in for a soccer game come on…. WGN was on the whole time but coverage is weak.

In severe weather it should be mandatory to break in I don’t care if it’s the Super Bowl , T storms are different but if there is a tornado on the ground there should be breaking weather coverage WMAQ especially WLS hesitated and dropped the ball.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

Oh, come on. WLS has been in storm coverage since before both of you posted. Even then, WLS and WMAQ were doing pretty much the same style of coverage, and doing a satisfactory job of keeping updates coming, in any form. ABC 7 was maintaining a near-constant split screen with the soccer match, only bailing entirely to regroup and switch off talent. When not on, the ticker remained, just like NBC 5. CBS 2 was in a split with golf, as well.

I didn't catch WLS breaking in during the 4pm hour when the end of the UEFA match was getting intense, but maybe I didn't tune in at the correct moments. I know both WLS and WMAQ were wall-to-wall earlier in the afternoon during their less important sports coverage.

I've always found WGN's storm coverage to be abysmal. They have all those meterologists and  they do such a poor job. Even when they are covering it. I find it really lacking in so many ways. Half the time it was just the warning boxes on the screen and nothing. You couldnt see the roads, the cities or even  where the storm was. They arent very good for actual storm coverage considering they have one of the largest weather teams in the City, its like they have no plan on how to cover it.

Especially when you compare it to other cities that are doing storm coverage in other markets it find it appalling.

14 hours ago, mouseboy33 said:

I've always found WGN's storm coverage to be abysmal. They have all those meterologists and  they do such a poor job. Even when they are covering it. I find it really lacking in so many ways. Half the time it was just the warning boxes on the screen and nothing. You couldnt see the roads, the cities or even  where the storm was. They arent very good for actual storm coverage considering they have one of the largest weather teams in the City, its like they have no plan on how to cover it.

Especially when you compare it to other cities that are doing storm coverage in other markets it find it appalling.

I agree with you; always very disjointed, too. Every time I've tuned in during storm coverage, it seems like they're scrambling to discuss map and radar source logistics to the point where it's impeding coverage. WMAQ and well as WBBM and WLS seem to be much more prepared.

• Like 1