Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...

Well, say it ain't so! FTVLive posted this: Katie Kim, weekend morning anchor and weekday reporter, is leaving soon. Robert Feder has also affirmed this, adding that her last day is August 16. Katie is moving back to SoCal to be closer to family. There are open spots in LA, such as at KABC, so....who knows what might happen? 

Edited by Roadrunner

29 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well, say it ain't so! FTVLive posted this: Katie Kim, weekend morning anchor and weekday reporter, is leaving soon. Robert Feder has also affirmed this, adding that her last day is August 16. Katie is moving back to SoCal to be closer to family. There are open spots in LA, such as at KABC, so....who knows what might happen? 

She seemed nice. But I wasnt a fan of her anchoring style. She, like many of the new anchors at NBC5 dont have gravitas.  And there is a strange over enunciation to each word that I find grating. Not a fan of Patrick Fazio. He seems nice. There is something light and breezy and but not serious about the way he presents.  I'll take a Bill Kurtis or Carol Marin style any day.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jase said:

Andy’s bio is missing

I know Web Archive isn't always 100%, but it shows that even on January 14, Andy's bio has been missing for quite some time.

His bio can still be found online (I know it doesn't really mean anything since bios don't really disappear from the internet), but he is still tweeting out weather updates, so it doesn't seem like anything abnormal yet...?

Edited by Roadrunner

Michelle Relerford just posted on facebook that she is the new morning anchor Monday-Friday from 4-5am starting in August.  She will then do top story updates from 5-7am. Feder also provided more information on the change and to the weekend teams. 

I'm very curious why they moved Alex to weekends to solo anchor and have Zoraida anchor solo weekday mornings. I know Michele will be there but it seems like shes just providing top story updates, not co-anchoring. 

Interesting moves at NBC 5. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

So, they'll basically only have co-anchored shows on Sunday mornings, and at 4, 5, 6 & 10pm. I've heard that more layoffs are coming to NBC properties, so perhaps this redistribution will lighten the blow, as Katie resigned and Dick passed.

24 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, never thought I'd see them go with a solo-anchored weekday morning newscast. I always figured that would be a thing that could only be seen at WBBM. 

Unless pay cuts are also tied together with this, none of these moves make much sense. Why demote Alex??? If they wanted to introduce solo-anchored formats/newscasts, they could have easily done it without so much upheaval.

Edited by jase

6 hours ago, jase said:

Unless pay cuts are also tied together with this, none of these moves make much sense. Why demote Alex??? If they wanted to introduce solo-anchored formats/newscasts, they could have easily done it without so much upheaval.

There's gotta be some funny business going on, because otherwise, it makes no sense to have Michelle only be a "news update" anchor of the 5am-7am block rather than a full anchor of the full three hours. There must be some issue where they don't want to pay whatever salary comes with being named anchor of the 5am-7am portion of the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something interesting I noticed on the 11AM news today... WMAQ played an excerpt of the Today show today, and the Today Show ticker text and time "pops" up. It "deactivates" seamlessly when they cut back to the anchor. (Pay attention to the ticker part in the video below...)

This ticker is definitely not previously recorded - as implied by the time and the ticker text layer is above the Look N ticker graphic. I think it's generated automatically by their studio systems...

The question is how does stations like WMAQ (and possibly other O&O stations?) handle the Today ticker text? I know some stations generate the text manually by the studio director. In this video it seems it's automatically handled by their control room systems... Do they have some particular software to detect something like the "color" in a particular screen region, hence when detected it activates the ticker text? It's just something I've been curious all day long... Maybe someone here can have better assumptions.😳

On 9/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, ref1997 said:

Something interesting I noticed on the 11AM news today... WMAQ played an excerpt of the Today show today, and the Today Show ticker text and time "pops" up. It "deactivates" seamlessly when they cut back to the anchor. (Pay attention to the ticker part in the video below...)

This ticker is definitely not previously recorded - as implied by the time and the ticker text layer is above the Look N ticker graphic. I think it's generated automatically by their studio systems...

The question is how does stations like WMAQ (and possibly other O&O stations?) handle the Today ticker text? I know some stations generate the text manually by the studio director. In this video it seems it's automatically handled by their control room systems... Do they have some particular software to detect something like the "color" in a particular screen region, hence when detected it activates the ticker text? It's just something I've been curious all day long... Maybe someone here can have better assumptions.😳

That’s a interesting video.  I assume they must of recorded a clean feed before it went through master control.  NBC has a piece of hardware called NameDropper HD (CBS uses the same hardware but it’s known as LIDIA) that’s used to insert logos during primetime, TOTH legal IDs and the crawl/time/temp during the Today Show.  All the commands for Today is triggered by a watermark in the feed which is likely why it was triggered during the clip.  However I am slightly confused why it would have the ticker covered by the Look N ticker but the time/temp ontop of the LookN ticker. 

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

That’s a interesting video.  I assume they must of recorded a clean feed before it went through master control.  NBC has a piece of hardware called NameDropper HD (CBS uses the same hardware but it’s known as LIDIA) that’s used to insert logos during primetime, TOTH legal IDs and the crawl/time/temp during the Today Show.  All the commands for Today is triggered by a watermark in the feed which is likely why it was triggered during the clip.  However I am slightly confused why it would have the ticker covered by the Look N ticker but the time/temp ontop of the LookN ticker. 

The ticker text is above the Look N ticker. If you look at it on a different angle, you can see it. I have to tilt my monitor upwards to see the distinction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night, "New Year's Eve in Chicago" has shifted to the pre-recorded format due to the COVID-19 pandemic that is cancelling all of Chicago's NYE fireworks celebrations. During the special, they airing a flashback of last year's live event.

Big key moments of the event:

* Planet Fitness returns as sponsor for the second year, which like did to last year; no mentions related to this throughout the special, in fact, the company had close all of its clubs during the start of the pandemic, but they reopened its clubs during the summer when some its lockdowns had been eased in most of its markets.

* The show opened with the segment on its past news stories of the year

* Carlson Kressley did an interview using video conferencing

* The famous quiz segment of "Chicago Today", "What the EL Did You Like" has the frontliners edition exclusively for the special

* Towards the end of the countdown, Chrissty Meltz performs "Talking to God", and then following the countdown, Chicago Children's Choir performing "Auld Lang Syne"

* In addition to the frontliners featured on the special, Most of the celebrities are also made cameos including Today Show's Al Roker, Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb, Kelly Clarkson from "The Kelly Clarkson Show" (also from "The Voice"), Carson Daly, Gwen Steffani, Blake Shelton and John Legend from "The Voice", Patrick Williams from the Chicago Bulls, Dan Aykroyd, Common, Amanda Freitag, Jenifer Lewis, Benny the Bull, Staley Da Bear and even Channel 5's own Marion Brooks, Stefan Holt, Siafa Lewis, Alex Maragos and Allison Rosati.

* During the credits, a notice regarding both Jewel-Osco and Abt Electronics receiving a prize consideration and promotional assistance for the quiz segment 

* When the special ended at 12:05 a.m., a new episode of "All Access" is filling the time gap until the start of "The Tonight Show".

Speaking of last night, the Olympic bug will expect to return later beginning with the morning newscast. It will used for the entire year in anticipation for the now-postponed 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo this summer, and for the next year's 2022 Winter Olympic Games in Beijing.

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA
N/A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NBC Sports Chicago head Kevin Cross to take over as President of Channel 5 and the Telemundo sister station. Kevin is the second black president to take helm of channel 5 for the first time in two decades since Lyle Banks taking the helm in 1995 until he resigned in 1998 because of the Jerry Springer fiasco at the station.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/04/20/nbc-sports-chicago-boss-kevin-cross-head-nbc-5-telemundo-chicago/

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So the past couple of days (haven't watched the news in a few weeks) I've noticed a new area where the anchors present and was kind of shocked. It looks like they got rid of their stand up area completely and put in almost floor to ceiling screens. It's way better than what they had previously.

I found a video from Michelle Relerford's Facebook page from a couple of days ago that shows it not in use behind Patrick Fazzio. https://fb.watch/5CWcQP1K1b/

Also another video of the same area in the middle of April before the upgrade. https://fb.watch/5CWJZ_Cpam/

Now if they could just get a new desk their whole set would be completely upgraded from the 2012 debut. 

IMG_1439.JPEG

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 1