Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

48 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Siafa Lewis is Anchoring Tomorrow morning according to his twitter page (Sorry, I don't know how to post with the twitter post). They are taking a page out of CBS2's book on how they tested with Ryan Baker. This iS a test. Not a permanent move.

Interesting choice, but he is pretty versatile, so he'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some of the two things what happened in just 24 hours at channel 5:

Last night, the 3rd edition of "New Year's Eve Live in Chicago" was a success, but they have some great moments during the broadcast: 

* The opening sequence had the hosts arriving from the limo before heading to the live shot at The Hilton Chicago.

* Following Chris Hush's "Decade Quiz" live portion from The Drake, There's a minor technical problem while they sending to Jen DeSalvo from the Crystal Gardens in Navy Pier.

* There's plenty of Celebrity cameos during the broadcast, including musicians Black Eyed Peas and Little Big Town, the casts from NBC's "Chicago Med", "Chicago P.D." and "Making It", Al Roker, Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie from "The Today Show", and chef Fabio Viviani. Last year's edition had numerous cameos aside from "The Today Show" team and the cast from "Chicago P.D." and "Chicago Med", including musicians Bazzi, Alessia Cara, and Bebe Rexha, the Chicago Blackhawks, Lester Holt from "NBC Nightly News", David Eigenberg from "Chicago Fire", and channel 5's very own Rob Stafford, Allison Rosati and Zoraida Sambolin.

* The broadcast had product placement, particularly from the makers of B1 Party Patches during some segments, and throughout the broadcast, the logo of Planet Fitness, is shown. Planet Fitness, famous for its "Judgement Free Zone" trademark is a presenting sponsor of this year's edition of "NYELIC", but there is no segments and references related to the club throughout the show. Last year's broadcast had 1 minute advertorials on behalf of the city's tourism organization Choose Chicago and radio station 103.5 KISS FM.

* There is no bug throughout the show.

* During the credits, the names of Joseph Schiltz and Jill Fields was added, the former was appointed as VP of creative services in October following the departure of its longtime creative head Dianne Haines, who went on to become the GM of their sister station in Hartford, while the latter is appointed as the station's VP of sales after they merged with the VP of sales at sister RSN NBC Sports Chicago in November following the departure of Brandin Stewart who later become the president of the CBS-owned station in Philadelphia in August. meanwhile, the mention of the station's social media accounts was added to the copyright stamp unlike at the end of the station's newscasts, but the station still not mentioning of the Snapchat and YouTube pages on copyright tag as well.

Also beginning today with the morning newscast, the station's standard bug was recently switch to the Olympic variation of the station's bug, with the Olympic rings in the logo is now white, rather than gold. The network itself had also switched to the Olympic bug beginning with the Rose Parade coverage. All of which is just in time for the Summer Olympics in July.

Edited by LinCruzNYC2014

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Acoording to Robert Feder, Channel 5 main anchors Rob Stafford and Allison Rosati will now doing stay-at-home anchor rotations starting today. Just like in case of Brant Miller is doing the weather at home. 

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/04/06/robservations-nbc-5-alternates-keeping-news-anchors-stafford-rosati-home/

1 hour ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

Acoording to Robert Feder, Channel 5 main anchors Rob Stafford and Allison Rosati will now doing stay-at-home anchor rotations starting today. Just like in case of Brant Miller is doing the weather at home. 

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/04/06/robservations-nbc-5-alternates-keeping-news-anchors-stafford-rosati-home/

It seems that the article implies they'll alternate days. I feel like they should alternate weeks instead. Just seems like a better idea to me, but hey, maybe this works better for them.

6 hours ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

Given Rob’s pre-existing health condition, he should have been anchoring from home weeks ago, so I don’t understand the sense of urgency now. It’s as if they can’t make up their minds what they want to do and just come up with something different every week.

So the morning, afternoon and weekend anchor pairs won’t be broken up (1 at home/ 1 in studio)? Why not apply this across all newscasts?

On 4/6/2020 at 6:39 AM, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

I've seen some inconsistencies with their social distancing on the set. Last night both Rob and Allison at 10pm were together at the desk which contradicts this article. In the morning, Alex is in the weather center while Zoraida is at the desk. Seems to be a little all over the place throughout the day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Want to pick the brains of those that have alot of knowledge about the Chicago market.

WLS/ABC 7 EWN is the leader, but been watching NBC 5 which is the strong #2 in the market.  I find myself liking their newscast, but I feel their anchor team

needs a jolt. Is there any chances NBC will make changes on their evening newscast.  Just seems like their anchor team a little long in the tooth.  The newscast is good, but the anchors are so-so.

Thoughts?

Edited by Breaking News

52 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Want to pick the brains of those that have alot of knowledge about the Chicago market.

WLS/ABC 7 EWN is the leader, but been watching NBC 5 which is the strong #2 in the market.  I find myself liking their newscast, but I feel their anchor team

needs a jolt. Is there any chances NBC will make changes on their evening newscast.  Just seems like their anchor team a little long in the tooth.  The newscast is good, but the anchors are so-so.

Thoughts?

No. Rob and Allison would have to retire. WMAQ tends to be faithful (to a fault) that I can't remember the last time anyone was fired.   

• Like 2

I know it’s a competitive industry but in a city with about 6-7 news options, being a solid and steady #2 isn’t reason to change.

The industry is so obsessed with who is first but in saturated markets, #2 is not a bad place to be at all.

• Like 6

NBC5 is kinda weird, in that you don't see many retirements (like 7 & 9), and very few firings (like 2 & 32). People just kind of leave. Personnel stagnates, so many are blocked from rising up the chain, which has led to more frequent exits, unlike the other 2 top tier stations, where people stay until they die. It's not a bad way to operate, but it just strikes me as odd.

-  -  -

Unrelated, I never saw a mention, but have not seen any job postings, either. Is Pete Sack now official on weekend evenings?

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Unrelated, I never saw a mention, but have not seen any job postings, either. Is Pete Sack now official on weekend evenings?

Who knows?? I wouldn’t be surprised if they just hire someone new out of the blue one day or officially announce 3 yrs. from now the job is his.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jase said:

Who knows?? I wouldn’t be surprised if they just hire someone new out of the blue one day or officially announce 3 yrs. from now the job is his.

Are you suggesting that they might pull another Fazio? 😂

As seen in the video uploaded by the station on their Youtube page, The station is having some changes to the bug by restoring the Olympic bug for the first time since April, but with the Gold color in the Olympic logo for the first time since 2018, rather than white. In addition, the time and temperature in the bug is on the top, and the ticker in the morning newscast is removed, following all other newscasts removing the mentions of the station's social media pages, official app and website on the bug in February.

vlcsnap-2020-05-08-16h37m04s302.png

Edited by LinCruzNYC2014

21 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Sad to see. Anyone know why TV stations would be hurting? I would think viewership should be up, not down.

Ratings could be up 10,000% across the board, but very few companies at any level are buying advertising right now.

• Like 3

I don’t necessarily understand why companies wouldn’t be advertising. We have seen unprecedented spikes in consumption of goods and services. Outside of public venues or the energy industry, I’m curious to understand why other industries are reducing advertising. Probably just a reaction to a global recession?

34 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I don’t necessarily understand why companies wouldn’t be advertising. We have seen unprecedented spikes in consumption of goods and services. Outside of public venues or the energy industry, I’m curious to understand why other industries are reducing advertising. Probably just a reaction to a global recession?

A lot of retailers and restaurants across the country are either closed or operating in a limited capacity right now. The travel and hospitality industries have virtually been shut down for the most part. Either those businesses don't see a need to advertise right now while they're not running at full capacity or they have had to cut back on their advertising budgets to help deal with less revenue coming in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

The only true advertisers still getting any oxygen are home improvement companies (the type who film a bunch of local ads in some studio in Nashville or wherever who burn a minute during mid-afternoon talking about the local division of their gutter/window systems and offer restaurant gift cards that can't be used for months) who bulk-bought their time months ago, along with the usual home warranty and senior-targeting vultures you usually see stuck on daytime CW/MyNetworkTV affiliates swooping in for penny ante ad time. Quite a few stations have gone very promo-heavy lately to fill ad slots they can't fill, and with the building number of pre-emptions for news events, make-goods aren't also guaranteed. Even law ads are either being cut or taking their own 'stay home' tactics because screaming about talc lawsuits when you can't get into a lawyer's building for months is kind of pointless.

Then of course your local advertisers who loyally come to sales and film their usual ad per month in front of the weather greenscreen or at their business, or get a bunch of people in to sing a seasonal jingle...that isn't happening right now, either, since only essential personnel are allowed at the studio, a TV station isn't sending a precious crew out just to make a commercial, and two people in a cramped studio booth cant' happen right now.

• Like 1