Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

Being updated through the show

'Chicago Today' just launched, and it's very...simple. They're hosting the show from a video wall nook that I swear looks familiar, but is definiteky not the news set. No desk, no stools, no audience, no on-screen logos, and very minimal use of lower thirds.

20190906_113218_HDR.thumb.jpg.dba5136a8183aa38a4d7520cbe4b2224.jpg

The first block was a recorded segment, but after the first break, a presumably live interview was done on a separate interview set. It looks nice.

20190906_114132.thumb.jpg.0a2c1d2fc16ec023c2ca23a0eb5e2bb3.jpg

The third segment is another prerecorded piece from a sunflower farm in the far western suburbs. I like it, because the vibe I was initially getting is that these hosts have never been west of the Tri-State (or out of downtown), but their whole selling point was that you'll be popular on Instagram, taking pics at the farm. If you played the "Instagram" drinking game, I'm sorry, but you're now dead.

Segment 4 us a follow-up with Miss Illinois, after the interview with her earlier. Some B.S. in the outdoor plaza about kids being creative through art or something. I'm not sure the male host has ever been around children, likes children, or even was one.

Edited by 24994J

10 minutes ago, 24994J said:

'Chicago Today' just launched, and it's very...simple. They're hosting the show from a video wall nook that I swear looks familiar, but is definiteky not the news set. No desk, no stools, no audience, no on-screen logos, and very minimal use of lower thirds.

20190906_113218_HDR.thumb.jpg.dba5136a8183aa38a4d7520cbe4b2224.jpg

The first block was a recorded segment, but after the first break, a presumably live interview was done on a separate interview set. It looks nice.

20190906_114132.thumb.jpg.0a2c1d2fc16ec023c2ca23a0eb5e2bb3.jpg

That’s in the WSNS/Telemundo Studio.  For some reason the Telemundo studios in Miami and Chicago have floor to ceiling video walls with one or two larger ones that “pop out”.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rkolsen said:

That’s in the WSNS/Telemundo Studio.  For some reason the Telemundo studios in Miami and Chicago have floor to ceiling video walls with one or two larger ones that “pop out”.  

Ok, that makes sense given you can hear people working in the background. 

A couple of more pics...

6D2A3CA7-C95C-414D-ABD5-E101523C7114.jpeg

BF0003EC-33BE-4A82-B149-87F817EA3CBC.jpeg

46 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Segment 4 us a follow-up with Miss Illinois, after the interview with her earlier. Some B.S. in the outdoor plaza about kids being creative through art or something. I'm not sure the male host has ever been around children, likes children, or even was one.

Not sure where they found that Matt guy, but they definitely can do better. Chemistry is severely lacking between him and Cortney. 

Plus, I didn’t expect the first show to be perfect, but that last segment was horrible and really sloppy. The show shouldn’t air live until they get it together.

4 hours ago, jase said:

Ok, that makes sense given you can hear people working in the background. 

WSNS has an 11AM newscast right? If that’s the studio would be booked back to back.  Ideally they’d have the Chicago Today set in place prior to the 11 PM but it looks small enough where it could be put in place quickly during the last commercial break of Telemundo. But they’d still would have to deal with the Telemundo team leaving during the show. 

4 hours ago, rkolsen said:

WSNS has an 11AM newscast right? If that’s the studio would be booked back to back.  Ideally they’d have the Chicago Today set in place prior to the 11 PM but it looks small enough where it could be put in place quickly during the last commercial break of Telemundo. But they’d still would have to deal with the Telemundo team leaving during the show. 

I don't know when WSNS airs their midday newscast. Nevertheless, their newsroom is very close (almost identical to WMAQs layout), so I'm guessing that's where the talking/noise came from.

Edited by jase

1 hour ago, jase said:

I don't know when WSNS airs their midday newscast. Nevertheless, their newsroom is very close (almost identical to WMAQs layout), so I'm guessing that's where the talking/noise came from.

I assume it’s before Mediodia which airs at 11:30AM CT. 

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Deanno was signed on as the meteorologist for channel 5's 11:00 am & 4:00 pm newscasts effective October 21. Deanno was the chief meteorologist for the CBS owned station in the San Francisco Bay Area and formerly, he was a meteorologist for the sister NBC O&O in Miami.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/09/27/robservations-eve-cancellation-worldview-host-wins-studs-terkel-award/

Edited by LinCruzNYC2014

Pete will probably turn up about as often as he did when Byron Miranda was doing middays, which would be more than we expect, and more than WLS will use Mark McGinnis, now that they're back up to 5 full-timers. It's odd, but NBC has been here before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I have a feeling this might have been in the works when they hired Paul Deanno. I wonder if Alicia will take back both weekend mornings and evenings or if they'll just use Pete or a rotating cast on weekend mornings now.

They should just give the shift to Pete. It's clear that no one (under 30) wants to work a weekend morning shift with zero chances of advancement. Just ask Cheryl Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a trial to eventually put Alicia on weekdays mornings after Andy retires. I can't think of another good reason for it. They barely have enough time for Andy's segments in the fast-paced morning news environment; I can't imagine what it's like with two AM meteorologists. How do they handle it? Do they alternate segments or something? Who stays around and provides the Today Show segments?

So now that Alicia Roman is officially off the weekend evening newscasts, I guess Pete Sack actually has a permanent role as the meteorologist for those newscasts. He's been appearing on them ever since she switched to mornings. I wonder who covers those newscasts whenever Pete is unavailable. Maybe Paul Deanno...

Susan Carlson signed off after six years of serving it as a weekend morning co-anchor yesterday. She will continue to doing general reporting Monday-Wednesday. Meanwhile, Katie Kim will continue as a weekend morning anchor but with the set of rotating anchors.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/02/robservations-roeper-conn-host-best-movies-decade-podcast/

15 hours ago, LinCruzNYC2014 said:

Susan Carlson signed off after six years of serving it as a weekend morning co-anchor yesterday. She will continue to doing general reporting Monday-Wednesday. Meanwhile, Katie Kim will continue as a weekend morning anchor but with the set of rotating anchors.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/02/robservations-roeper-conn-host-best-movies-decade-podcast/

I predict that a replacement will be named just prior to November 2020 sweeps. 🙃

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I predict that a replacement will be named just prior to November 2020 sweeps. 🙃

You’re being too optimistic. No decision will be made before Summer 2021 would be my guess.

42 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Siafa Lewis is Anchoring Tomorrow morning according to his twitter page (Sorry, I don't know how to post with the twitter post). They are taking a page out of CBS2's book on how they tested with Ryan Baker. This iS a test. Not a permanent move.

Just copy-and-paste the URL to the tweet to the reply box. The website should embed it.