Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

It's probably pink because the blue and red versions are playing at the same time, and they're both transparent enough they blend together or they have a blending mode enabled that you can't see when it's just one or the other.

Does WMAQ have a separate newsroom shot or is it a shared with the one the network uses?

I don't really recall what the network backdrop is, but the station uses an angle with the lit 'NBC 5' logo on the wall, so I'd assume they are two separate locations. Also, the station's position is right behind the main set.

I don't really recall what the network backdrop is, but the station uses an angle with the lit 'NBC 5' logo on the wall, so I'd assume they are two separate locations. Also, the station's position is right behind the main set.

The control room and wall with NBC News Chicago banner.

• Like 2

Does WMAQ have a separate newsroom shot or is it a shared with the one the network uses?

The network offices/control room is separate from that of WMAQ. WMAQ shares their newsroom with Telemundo Chicago. I believe the network is upstairs (it's been awhile since I've been there so...) where Steve Harvey/ Judge Mathis is taped.

• Like 1

The network offices/control room is separate from that of WMAQ. WMAQ shares their newsroom with Telemundo Chicago. I believe the network is upstairs (it's been awhile since I've been there so...) where Steve Harvey/ Judge Mathis is taped.

Okay, I just saw a video of it. I was watching their 10PM news and it came from the control room backdrop which confused me.

Okay, I just saw a video of it. I was watching their 10PM news and it came from the control room backdrop which confused me.

WMAQ's control room is small and 'off the beaten path' if you will and can't serve as a backdrop like the network control room can.

• 4 weeks later...

WMAQ has hired Tracy Davis, the news director currently working at CBS-affiliated station WDJT in Milwaukee to appointed as the station's assistant news director. this comes 6 months following its former news director Debra Juarez was promoted as VP, digital for its Miami sister station. She will start working at the station June 5.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/04/04/nbc-5-hires-assistant-news-director-milwaukee/

Lauren Jiggetts is leaving NBC 5 for another opportunity, presumably in Chicago. The only major vacancy is WGN's 4am chair, but nothing is confirmed. Michelle Relerford will move to weekend evenings, and Christian Farr will temporarily fill in with Susan Carlson in the mornings.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/04/07/weekend-anchor-lauren-jiggetts-leaves-nbc-5/

Huge loss for WMAQ. They really need to get it together over there and start filling in these anchor holes. As far as next moves for Jiggetts, not sure WGN is the best fit, but who knows. I wouldn't rule out WFLD either. They could use a permanent anchor @ Noon.

Well, it seems like most channel 5 people exploring other "opportunities" over the years go to ABC properties (Elgas, Scott, Perez, Faris, Zee...Magers, Yu, Taft, Giangreco, Weigel, Kalber...), and if she's staying local...

I'm not predicting anything. More or less joking, but still.

• Like 2

I've noticed over the past month or two that WMAQ got rid of the unique openers for the "NEWS AT 10", "NEWS AT 5", "NEWS AT 6" etc. All of the news openers are now generic openers with no time listed. The city backdrop is still appropriate for the time of day, but there's no mention of times anymore.

I've noticed over the past month or two that WMAQ got rid of the unique openers for the "NEWS AT 10", "NEWS AT 5", "NEWS AT 6" etc. All of the news openers are now generic openers with no time listed. The city backdrop is still appropriate for the time of day, but there's no mention of times anymore.

Basically taking the WCAU route?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

No!! I love Byron! Which is weird because I never used to. But this time around, I dunno, he won me over. He's just so darn likable - and funny too. I think he's improved with age (but he definitely doesn't LOOK his age). Not that he's old, he just looks way younger. Anyways, I was even hoping he might replace Brant, who if you ask me, is getting a little creepy with age. Especially that hair dye...but I do love Fungus Wednesday! ha

Any idea what the arrangement would be if Byron departs? I doubt they'd hire another meteorologist. I'd say either Kalee would take the 11 AM, and Alicia would go back to doing all weekend newscasts, or vice versa. Given Alicia's seniority, I'd actually expect Alicia to be offered the 11 AM while Kalee gets assigned full weekend duties

Any idea what the arrangement would be if Byron departs? I doubt they'd hire another meteorologist. I'd say either Kalee would take the 11 AM, and Alicia would go back to doing all weekend newscasts, or vice versa. Given Alicia's seniority, I'd actually expect Alicia to be offered the 11 AM while Kalee gets assigned full weekend duties

why would they go back to the full weekend stuff? plus NBC still has an anchor reporter job out for hire

Alicia would likely retake the 11AM (the position she had before) with Kalee staying on weekends (AM) and Pete probably handling weekends (PM). It's unclear if they will stick with six meteorologists (seems unnecessary imo) or five. Hopefully Byron changes his mind and stays.