Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

NBC 5 unveiled their 4pm newscast extension today. Surprised it was during the Olympics. Looks like Rob Stafford and Dick Johnson will alternate the 4pm anchor position alongside Marion Brooks.

Yeah, I wonder if that might backfire in the immediate days/week following the Olympics, with viewers not realizing it's a permanent change. That said, that's probably not anything to worry about. I really do hope that the male anchor arrangement isn't the longterm plan, though. It would be disappointing considering they did actually have a job posting up (still do), unless that is to replace Ponce, knowing he was leaving.

There's a press release from WMAQ / WSNS touting their new Doppler radar "Live Doppler 5" and "Storm Ranger 5" from NBCUMV. The press release states that their new radar is the first commercially licensed dual polarization radar by FCC to operate in the S-Band frequency in the country. Meanwhile back in March when WLS launched their dual polarized S-Band radar was also touted that it was the first to be licensed in that frequency. They both claim to be first licensed stations to use this technology - so which ones first? Was WLS on the air sooner, perhaps WMAQ got the first approval or is it all PR speak? Meanwhile the Tribune owned WHO is Des Moine has been using the S-Band frequency for four years albeit it's a single pole radar.

One thing that confuses me is the amount of power both WLS and WMAQ mention in their press releases. The following is an apples to oranges comparison - WLS's radar is billed as 1 million watts (0.001 gigawatts) while WMAQ says that it has an effective radiated power of 10.4 gigawatts (10,400,000,000 watts or 10.4 billion watts). WMAQ seems to be using the ERP wattage just to claim that their radar is more powerful than WLS and they are counted on people assuming bigger is better and people not knowing the difference. I know ERP takes into account the transmitter output power, the loss in the line and the attenuation of the antenna. Does anyone know the specific ERP the WLS radar or the WMAQ transmit antenna power for a comparison? I just searched for the NWS nexrad specifications and one site said that their transmitted signal power level is 32 gigawatts (p 10) - would that be the same as ERP?

Looks like they removed the old one and used a crane to life the radar that was already assembled along with another flight of stairs on top of the original tower. They then added the radome and viola.

I really do hope that the male anchor arrangement isn't the longterm plan, though. It would be disappointing considering they did actually have a job posting up (still do), unless that is to replace Ponce, knowing he was leaving.

It's difficult to understand their mindset when it comes to hiring. They continue to leave the 4/4:30P spot open, but yet hire another meteorologist and a sports anchor/reporter. ??? As it stands, they have 3 male anchors (which is the same amount that both WFLD & WBBM have). To me, that doesn't seem like the best boat to be in when you're trying to be #1.

• Like 1

As for the radar who cares WLS just got a 1,000,000 radar really.... WFLD has had one for nearly ten years get with the times. Also I dont know why there just now getting one. WMAQ IS TRYING TO HARD WLS has the biggest budget in the market. Having said that dont insult WFLD they have the second highest budget in the market and can pretty much get anything the other stations get no questions asked

WBBM has 2 male and 2 females Steve,Ed,Megan,Mary Kay

WFLD has 3 males now1 that just started this year and 1 female Bill Mark Mike(just started this year) and Tammie

Male 'News' Anchors:

WMAQ- Rob, Dick and Alex

WBBM- Rob, Jim and Lionel

WFLD- Jeff, Scott and Corey

Just looking at my DVR, it says that the 4 o'clock hour is returning to Extra/News combo after the Olympics. Perhaps it's a typo, but you have to wonder if this really is just for the games (like they've had in previous years), and that the official launch will be in September (or sooner, as the original announcement did say August).

Male 'News' Anchors:

WMAQ- Rob, Dick and Alex

WBBM- Rob, Jim and Lionel

WFLD- Jeff, Scott and Corey

WLS- Alan, Rob, Hosea, Terrell, Ravi, Ben, Harpo, Groucho, another Rob, John, Paul, Ringo, still another Rob (but goes by Bobby), Fahey, Joel, John, Ron, Tim (during the dark years), HEY! Another Rob...

• Like 1

Just looking at my DVR, it says that the 4 o'clock hour is returning to Extra/News combo after the Olympics. Perhaps it's a typo, but you have to wonder if this really is just for the games (like they've had in previous years), and that the official launch will be in September (or sooner, as the original announcement did say August).

The website's TV listings also say Extra returns at 4pm on the Monday after the Olympics.

My DirecTV guide starting August 22 has NBC 5 News @4pm with Access Hollywood at 1pm and Extra at 1:30pm. I checked the next day and it says the same thing.

My DirecTV guide starting August 22 has NBC 5 News @4pm with Access Hollywood at 1pm and Extra at 1:30pm. I checked the next day and it says the same thing.

Yes, NBC5's website seems to have updated to this as well now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Ever heard of a designated, in-depth, investigative sports reporter at a local station? Me, neither. Peggy Kusinski is shifting roles.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/08/22/sportscaster-peggy-kusinski-starting-new-chapter-for-nbc-5/

Now it's clear why they hired the 'new guy'. I'm sure the daily grind and constant traveling takes a toll after awhile. PK deserves a break and lucky for her, they found a way to keep her on board even though this new position is completely pointless/unnecessary.

Even though NBC 5 isn't my cup of tea, they should be commended for the moves they've made in the last few years to push themselves up the ratings ladder. That said, what is with the talent moves? They are setting themselves up to be so bloated in the weather (7) and sports department (4), while working with a not small, but understaffed anchor bench. I can't help but think they're potentially playing around too much. They've been the proof that viewer loyalties can change, so you hope they know what they're doing, cause it can all change quickly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been capturing the new opens over the last few months, and am finally getting around to the morning show. While processing the video, something caught my eye. Can someone tell me what's wrong with this skyline shot for the 4:00 AM news?

1328829822_WMAQAM4_00.thumb.png.a946c498be09a58700677378f1c4cbbd.png

• Like 1

So, I've been capturing the new opens over the last few months, and am finally getting around to the morning show. While processing the video, something caught my eye. Can someone tell me what's wrong with this skyline shot for the 4:00 AM news?

That there's light out at 4AM? Don't know what direction the cameras pointing so it could be a sunset instead of a sunrise.

Side note: are any of these graphics flexible enough to feature a live video in the opens?

That there's light out at 4AM? Don't know what direction the cameras pointing so it could be a sunset instead of a sunrise.

Side note: are any of these graphics flexible enough to feature a live video in the opens?

You got it. That is indeed a sunset. As for the flexibility you suggest, I don't know.