Random WMAQ Thread

24994J

I don't know. It seems all tongue-in-cheek. He *was* passed over for even younger eye candy. "Burning a bridge" seems a little harsh.

On second thought.. Maybe you're right (about this video being a little tongue-in-cheek). I think he could have just left out the part about 'being passed over' is all.

WMAQ's trend of dragging in meteorologists who are normally off continues. It's tag-team coverage with Andy Avalos and Pete Sack on a Saturday night! (Alicia is off tonight.)

They really need to stop this. There's no logical reason to bring in 2 (or 3) meteorologists pretty much any time it rains.

It's bad enough they haul out 'Storm' or (in most cases) 'Sprinkle Chaser 5' every chance they get, but Brant tends to spend too much time talking about their radar being the best there is. Save that crap for the promos please and stay on point.

WMAQ has hired a new sports reporter/anchor, Mike Berman, from CBS 4 Indianapolis. Makes you wonder if Adamle is ever coming back...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8329-nbc-5-hires-mike-berman-as-sports-reporter-anchor

Also, reporter Ash-har Quraishi joins NBC 5. He most recently worked for Al Jazeera America.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8330-nbc-5-hires-new-reporter-ash-har-quraishi

• Like 1

From the WGN Morning News crew, in reference to Anthony's resignation video...

"Ready for some sibling rivalry? Tomorrow during the 8a hour, Anthony Ponce joins Dan Ponce *live* on set to discuss what Anthony was smoking before he made the decision revealed in this video:"

• Like 1

From the WGN Morning News crew, in reference to Anthony's resignation video...

"Ready for some sibling rivalry? Tomorrow during the 8a hour, Anthony Ponce joins Dan Ponce *live* on set to discuss what Anthony was smoking before he made the decision revealed in this video:"

He was smoking the same stuff Dan was when he left Channel 7 to go sing with his barbershop quartet. Look how long that lasted. So of course he'll be back soon enough. But if Anthony really wanted a promotion at Channel 5, why'd he go and grow that monkey terrorist beard at the worst possible time? Some people can pull off facial hair, but definitely not him. And he's a good looking guy...

• Like 2

I always thought he grew the beard after he knew he wasn't getting the job. Maybe I'm mistaken...

He was on paternity leave for several weeks and had the beard his first day back. I think most people figured he would get rid out it after awhile (being on TV and such). He looked somewhat disheveled in the WGN interview.

Wears a beard better than Dan would, I think. As for Dan leaving 7, at least there was a set plan. If I recall, the album deal, tour schedule, PBS special, etcetera, were all in the works, and TV was going to get in the way. There was, theoretically, less risk in leaving a reporter position than the anchor desk, too.

As for where Anthony might end up...weekend evenings on channel 7. I hope I'm wrong, but I predicted Rob Elgas' hiring (though I got cocky and landed him at 10).

• Like 1

As for where Anthony might end up...weekend evenings on channel 7. I hope I'm wrong, but I predicted Rob Elgas' hiring (though I got cocky and landed him at 10).

Wait, what are you predicting is going to happen to Ravi? Did I miss an announcement of him leaving or something?

and on an unrelated note, I can't believe how much non-HD video WMAQ still uses. What really surprises me is that the in-house graphics like the NBC 5 Storm Team full-screen graphic at the end of the weather segment and the NBC 5 News Today full-screen promo that airs at the end of the 10pm news are both in SD, and both graphics look really terrible on an HD TV. You wouldn't expect this from a station that's battling for the #1 spot in the market, especially when WLS and WGN have ALL of their assets in HD.

• Like 2

Wait, what are you predicting is going to happen to Ravi? Did I miss an announcement of him leaving or something?

Passed over for a weekday slot, who knows what could happen? It's wacky speculation on my part. Nothing more.

and on an unrelated note, I can't believe how much non-HD video WMAQ still uses. What really surprises me is that the in-house graphics like the NBC 5 Storm Team full-screen graphic at the end of the weather segment and the NBC 5 News Today full-screen promo that airs at the end of the 10pm news are both in SD, and both graphics look really terrible on an HD TV. You wouldn't expect this from a station that's battling for the #1 spot in the market, especially when WLS and WGN have ALL of their assets in HD.

Heck, I think some of their opens are in SD. I don't know why, but it seems like some the graphics never quite look right at NBC 5, be it A, 2 F's, or an N.

• Like 2

Let's not forget, WLS isn't in full HD, it's 720p, not 1080i. LOL

Let's not forget, WLS isn't in full HD, it's 720p, not 1080i. LOL

What difference does it make if its 720p or 1080i. No station is in 1080p, so if you're saying 720p isn't full HD, then 1080i isn't full HD either.

WLS had one of the best signals out there with their 720p. .....before they added that Live Well HD subchannel.

• Like 1

What difference does it make if its 720p or 1080i. No station is in 1080p, so if you're saying 720p isn't full HD, then 1080i isn't full HD either.

WLS had one of the best signals out there with their 720p. .....before they added that Live Well HD subchannel.

It was just a joke, I wasn't really trying to make a point.

Who's doing weekend ? I didn't wake up early enough to find out.

They got up at 2am just so you could have an early morning newscast...and you sleep through it?

How is Michelle gonna feel when she finds out that you really don't care?.

You viewers are all the same...

Lazy!

• Like 1

Oh, Susan alternated with Michelle? Shows how often I've watched weekend mornings...

Well she wouldn't have to alternate if you and other viewers were more dependable.

These news people take time out of their day to serve up giant helpings of fresh yummy news...

All they ask is that you attend, after all...it's free.

Yes...FREE!

• Like 1